Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks @ Flames - Therapy For Glencross, STAT

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
Well, I haven't commented on HF for quite awhile now. Wanted to at least watch a few games before getting totally angry and losing my S#$t on the Flames. After watching the last few, I really can't be upset. The drive and will seems to be there, the luck, not so much. Damn exciting hockey to watch from this years squad. That's all we can really ask for(besides a couple of wins). They are working hard, having fun, and really not playing too badly. If the end result is good hockey, with a good draft, I'm ok with that.

BTW, Glencrossbar is the unluckiest guy in the world(at least today). No lottery tickets today Glenny lol!!

Also, Cheers to Gleninator for the link:handclap:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
It's just one game. Why you heff to be mad?

The hockey gods weren't kind to the Flames. Or to good ol' number 20.
At least we got a point. If we're going to lose to top 3 team, I'm happy to get away with a point.
No, pissed about all of them.

You can all pat on the back all u want and give them all the effort ribbons you want.......excitement/playing great doesn't get you to the playoffs, wins do.

Show me a flames team that can play like that, hold a lead and win then ill be happy.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
No, pissed about all of them.

You can all pat on the back all u want and give them all the effort ribbons you want.......excitement/playing great doesn't get you to the playoffs, wins do.

Show me a flames team that can play like that, hold a lead and win then ill be happy.

You do realize that nobody outside of the Flames organization and a diminishing number of fans expect playoffs, right? It is what it is.

For myself, I'll just continue to enjoy the offensive style that we haven't seen since Keenan and be happy that we'll have a great pick this season to boot..

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
We've pretty much drastically outshot every team we've played. The only problem is either the other goalie stands on their head or ours doesn't show up. We seriously need some luck.

Sep 13, 2009
You do realize that nobody outside of the Flames organization and a diminishing number of fans expect playoffs, right? It is what it is.

For myself, I'll just continue to enjoy the offensive style that we haven't seen since Keenan and be happy that we'll have a great pick this season to boot..

So you're happy being the Oilers? The Flames should have defeated the Canucks, Avs, and 'Hawks. We should have 4 wins right now.

We'll pay for these losses at the end of the season.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
So you're happy being the Oilers? The Flames should have defeated the Canucks, Avs, and 'Hawks. We should have 4 wins right now.

We'll pay for these losses at the end of the season.

Our team looks nothing like the Oilers. Only reason we didn't win that game(besides Glenny's bad luck) was that Emery had the game of a lifetime.

I didn't say "fail for Nail" like a coilers fan would. It's just very obvious that we're getting a good pick this year, and if we're gonna lose, I'd damn sure rather be on the edge of my seat and enjoying nail-biters whilst doing so..

Saying "should have makes you sound like almost every Iggy interview from the last three seasons..:shakehead

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Its very excited hockey theres not doubt about it. Its still early but I think this is one of the most exciting teams we've seen in years but somethings gota give. If we had the Kipper we had last year we would be fighting for the division title right now (we would've probably even beat the sharks in our home opener).

And Iginla? why is everyone so quick to defend him.. He hasn't done much more than Cammalleri and the expectations on Iggy should be higher than Cammalleri. Sure he's doing alot of other things that Cammalleri isn't but thats nothing our 4th line can't do. We need goals from these guys to push us ahead of just one goal games. We got all kinds of secondary scoring but our main players that get the most ice time can't put the puck in the net (not talking about Tanguay he's been great). So why are we throwing Cammy under the bus and congratulating Iggy for his solid game? Yes I know he's a slow starter but we don't have time for slow starts. Until Iggy gets going it doesn't seem like we can win any games, we've seen the same result every year. We end up getting hot down the stretch and end up 9th place with a late pick and no playoffs.

Last edited:

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Iggy is playing far better than Cammy. I don't know what games you're watching.

:facepalm: I know he's playing better then Cammy.. Does it show on the scoresheet? No.. Like I said we need goals from these guys not just "chances". Why is everyone criticizing Cammalleri? Because hes not scoring. Go ahead and tell me Iggys providing more chances well last game they both had their fair share of chances.. Im saying this team needs more from their best players (Iginla, Cammalleri, Kipprusoff). If your gona just blame Cammalleri and go ahead and defend you're precious superstars I dont know what game YOURE watching :whatever:

Sure he's doing alot of other things that Cammalleri isn't but thats nothing our 4th line can't do. We need goals from these guys to push us ahead of just one goal games.

There you go I specifically said that hes playing better then Cammalleri thats not my point. They both have 0 goals and get the most ice time on this team thats my point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Iginla had a pretty sweet toe drag there but to me it's evident that he's lost a step, he doesn't look nearly as explosive as past years. But he can still be an effective for this team by going to the right spots in the offensive zone and using his shot. Yes he's been okay this year but him and Cammy both need to get scoring.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
:facepalm: I know he's playing better then Cammy.. Does it show on the scoresheet? No.. Like I said we need goals from these guys not just "chances". Why is everyone criticizing Cammalleri? Because hes not scoring. Go ahead and tell me Iggys providing more chances well last game they both had their fair share of chances.. Im saying this team needs more from their best players (Iginla, Cammalleri, Kipprusoff). If your gona just blame Cammalleri and go ahead and defend you're precious superstars I dont know what game YOURE watching :whatever:

No, not quite. Before yesterday's game, the difference between Cammalleri and Iginla was that Iginla was actually trying and getting chances while Cammalleri was floating and looking like a black hole of suckitude. In any case, all three of Kipper, Iginla and Cammalleri are receiving their share of criticism for their lack of production.

Perhaps the bigger issue and one that you can only take up with upper management is why the Flames chances of success are wholly dependent on the back of a 35 and a half year old player.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Actually, the criticism comes from Cammalleri being invisible in the first handful of games, he was absolutely pointless out there (pun intended). Cammalleri had his best game of the season last night, and the chances will eventually find the back of the net.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
No, not quite. Before yesterday's game, the difference between Cammalleri and Iginla was that Iginla was actually trying and getting chances while Cammalleri was floating and looking like a black hole of suckitude. In any case, all three of Kipper, Iginla and Cammalleri are receiving their share of criticism for their lack of production.

Perhaps the bigger issue and one that you can only take up with upper management is why the Flames chances of success are wholly dependent on the back of a 35 and a half year old player.

I get that Iginla's trying really hard to score.. But we sit 6 games into the season and they both don't have a goal.. Cammalleri deserves criticism im not saying he doesn't but you do see some good shifts from this guy. He was playing great against the Oilers and yesterday was probably his best game. Iginla's got around 25 shots this season, I know hes trying.

With the team we have this year I don't think the chances of success are solely dependent on Iginla. Are we expecting him to get 30 goals this season? No not really. But when it comes down to it, hes our captain, franchise leader, scoring leader for the past 11 years,..etc. Hes getting the most ice time out of all our forwards. The reason being that he's our best player and we need a certain amount of goals from him that he's not giving (obviously not yet). If he was on our third line I would not be commenting on his performance. But hes not, hes on our first line and we need more from him, so whether hes having a good game or not he's still on the same page as Cammalleri in which they need to start producing.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Now that I've calmed down, I'm still pissed!!

Bouwmeester comes up big and wins the game for us. And just when we think it's in the bag, one of their 18 shots goes in the net.

47 shots to 19 by all measures of sound sciences should win hockey games!! And for afterhours in HNC to say we didn't hit enough and that's why we lost?! :madfire:

That's blatant bad luck. I feel like my dog actually ate my homework but I can't tell my teacher the truth because it's too ridiculous to believe.

To go from that happy to absolutely dumbfounded...

I feel like I'm holding my lottery ticket and just when the announcer on the radio calls out the last number I nearly have a heart attack because he calls out all of my numbers. But then the announcer corrects himself and then laughs about it. The 4 looked like a 9 or some ****.

So how do you make lemonaide when you just got handed some mouldy, diseased-riddled lemons that have been sitting behind the fridge for so many years they look like hairy green raisins?

How do turn that frown upside down when someone just took a 15lb sledge hammer at full swin to your groin while you were wearing spandex doing the splits?

HOW!?!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I get that Iginla's trying really hard to score.. But we sit 6 games into the season and they both don't have a goal.. Cammalleri deserves criticism im not saying he doesn't but you do see some good shifts from this guy. He was playing great against the Oilers and yesterday was probably his best game. Iginla's got around 25 shots this season, I know hes trying.

With the team we have this year I don't think the chances of success are solely dependent on Iginla. Are we expecting him to get 30 goals this season? No not really. But when it comes down to it, hes our captain, franchise leader, scoring leader for the past 11 years,..etc. Hes getting the most ice time out of all our forwards. The reason being that he's our best player and we need a certain amount of goals from him that he's not giving (obviously not yet). If he was on our third line I would not be commenting on his performance. But hes not, hes on our first line and we need more from him, so whether hes having a good game or not he's still on the same page as Cammalleri in which they need to start producing.

And he's getting older. Most players tend to slow down when that happens. Expecting him to be the same player he was at 30 isn't realistic.

Regardless, Iginla's slow starts are more or less, a fact of life. And in the long run, it really doesn't make a difference because all goal scorers go through slumps in a season. So, what difference does it make if the slump happens in the first 6 games of the season or the last 6 games of the season, or at any point in between? It doesn't.

At least it doesn't matter if the team has the depth to mitigate slumps like these. If Malkin struggles for a period, the Pens still have Crosby. When Stamkos goes on a dry spell, the Lightning still have Lecavalier and St.Louis to pick up the slack. That's one of the reasons why Cammalleri was brought in and has a 6M cap hit (but 7M in real salary, the same as Iginla).

But, it just so happens that Cammalleri's struggling at the same time Iginla is. But his struggles are unexpected, and thus, more of a concern, particularly when before yesterday, he wasn't doing anything. At least Iginla was driving to the net and generating good scoring chances. Then, when you add in the effects of having to learn a brand new system with a shortened training camp and no pre-season games, and a struggling goalie in Kipper, and a 1-3-2 record is what you get.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
And he's getting older. Most players tend to slow down when that happens. Expecting him to be the same player he was at 30 isn't realistic.

Regardless, Iginla's slow starts are more or less, a fact of life. And in the long run, it really doesn't make a difference because all goal scorers go through slumps in a season. So, what difference does it make if the slump happens in the first 6 games of the season or the last 6 games of the season, or at any point in between? It doesn't.

At least it doesn't matter if the team has the depth to mitigate slumps like these. If Malkin struggles for a period, the Pens still have Crosby. When Stamkos goes on a dry spell, the Lightning still have Lecavalier and St.Louis to pick up the slack. That's one of the reasons why Cammalleri was brought in and has a 6M cap hit (but 7M in real salary, the same as Iginla).

But, it just so happens that Cammalleri's struggling at the same time Iginla is. But his struggles are unexpected, and thus, more of a concern, particularly when before yesterday, he wasn't doing anything. At least Iginla was driving to the net and generating good scoring chances. Then, when you add in the effects of having to learn a brand new system with a shortened training camp and no pre-season games, and a struggling goalie in Kipper, and a 1-3-2 record is what you get.

The problem is this is not a one time thing. He always has a terrible start to the season. And if he wouldn't we probably wouldn't be talking about missing the playoffs last year or the year before. But its this 1-3-2 record that we seem to get every year that ruins our chances of squeezing into the playoffs late in the season. I know hes getting older and im not expecting him to be the savior.. But many players on this team look up to him and he is our leader so, a couple goals from this guy would really make this team that much better.

Imagine... we're 2nd in the league in fewest shots against and 2nd in shots for. I think we can say that they are playing really good! This team really shouldn't have a 1-3-2 record. But a couple unlucky breaks and here we are. The teams been great and Iginla and Cammalleri have 0 goals. I think this goes to show that the weight is not all on their shoulders. If the team keeps playing like this and Iginla and cammy can get it going, this team could be far on its way. But we need a little bit of production from our guys. Even when guys like Malkin or Crosby are slumping, they still manage to get a little something here and there. Thats all im asking from Iginla. He doesn't have to be the hero every game, but we need more from him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

So only producing counts? Then I guess Sven has been terrible he has no points. Iginla was great last night you don't score all the time even when you try your best I'm not sure how you can be upset with him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The problem is this is not a one time thing. He always has a terrible start to the season. And if he wouldn't we probably wouldn't be talking about missing the playoffs last year or the year before. But its this 1-3-2 record that we seem to get every year that ruins our chances of squeezing into the playoffs late in the season. I know hes getting older and im not expecting him to be the savior.. But many players on this team look up to him and he is our leader so, a couple goals from this guy would really make this team that much better.

Yeah, that's just not true at all, not if you truly expect Iginla to not be the saviour.

Two seasons ago Iginla had 8 points in his first 15 games. He finished the season with 43 goals and 86 points. Now, the team's resurgence in the second half of that season was almost solely on the back of Iginla's production, who after his initial struggle, was terrific the rest of the year. He had one slump in the year, and it just happened to occur at the beginning of the season. As we've established, ALL goal scorers go through slumps in the regular season and not all teams are as lucky as the Flames to have it happen at the same time each and every season. Yes, it's lucky because that kind of consistency should make it that much easier to plan for and therefore solve. The fact that Flames haven't been able to do so is more of condemnation on management than anything else.

Anyway, transpose Iginla's slump to any other part of the season, and guess what, nothing changes. If Iginla stopped scoring that season, the team stopped winning. So unless you're expecting Iginla to be a 50 goal scorer, year in, year out, and to carry the team, then there was literally nothing more he could have done.

I've mentioned this example before but it still seems to escape people. A couple of seasons ago, Stamkos had 31 goals in the first 41 games of the season but only 14 or so in the last 41 games. There one particular stretch of 12 or so games in that second half where he had something like one goal and couple of assists. But, the Lightning team as a whole still went 8-4-1 or something along those lines in that stretch and easily made the playoffs. Notice how despite Stamkos, the team's best scorer, struggling mightily for a long stretch, the team still managed to win? It's because they still had St.Louis and Lecavalier to pick up the slack.

Look, as Iginla gets older, these slumps and an overall decline in production are only going to become more pronounced. In addition, as already mentioned, Iginla's slow starts are a) a fact of life, b) a natural occurrence as every goal scorer goes through slumps and c) wouldn't be a big deal if the team had the depth of offset it.

And finally, In 2005-2006 the Flames started October with a 4-7-2 record. They went on to win the division. In 2006-2007 the Flames started October with a 3-6-1 October. They went on to squeak into the playoffs. Those Flames teams managed to overcome some pretty bad starts. Maybe fans need to recognize the current edition of the Flames perhaps, just aren't a good team? That relying on a 35 year old to save the day is stupid strategy and poor basis on which to build a team?

Imagine... we're 2nd in the league in fewest shots against and 2nd in shots for. I think we can say that they are playing really good! This team really shouldn't have a 1-3-2 record. But a couple unlucky breaks and here we are. The teams been great and Iginla and Cammalleri have 0 goals. I think this goes to show that the weight is not all on their shoulders. If the team keeps playing like this and Iginla and cammy can get it going, this team could be far on its way. But we need a little bit of production from our guys. Even when guys like Malkin or Crosby are slumping, they still manage to get a little something here and there. Thats all im asking from Iginla. He doesn't have to be the hero every game, but we need more from him.

Doesn't make sense. As good as the depth on the team has been so far this season, they still have a 1-3-2 record. Which just goes to show that if Kipper, Iginla and Cammalleri aren't producing, the team isn't winning. Thus, there's a lot of pressure on those three guys game in, game out.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
So only producing counts? Then I guess Sven has been terrible he has no points. Iginla was great last night you don't score all the time even when you try your best I'm not sure how you can be upset with him.

Yeah.. thats not what im saying at all. First of all Sven is a rookie and played on the third line and even the 4th line for a game. Nobody is expecting more from him then secondary scoring. Obviously producing is not the only thing that counts, but honestly if Iginla played good every game and finished the season with 0 goals would you be happy? And im not saying thats gona happen so calm down. Its obvious there are different expectations for different players and Iginla's is mainly to score goals (of course hes our captain and brings other things to the table but he's our main goal scorer)

I've mentioned this example before but it still seems to escape people. A couple of seasons ago, Stamkos had 31 goals in the first 41 games of the season but only 14 or so in the last 41 games. There one particular stretch of 12 or so games in that second half where he had something like one goal and couple of assists. But, the Lightning team as a whole still went 8-4-1 or something along those lines in that stretch and easily made the playoffs. Notice how despite Stamkos, the team's best scorer, struggling mightily for a long stretch, the team still managed to win? It's because they still had St.Louis and Lecavalier to pick up the slack.

I never said that Iginla is the only one to blame I said we need more OVERALL from our top players (that being Iginla, Kipper, Cammy). Its nice for St.Louis and Lecavalier to pick up the slack for Stamkos but thats not happening for the flames. Obviously players are gona go in a slump and Its misfortunate for both iggy and cammy to be in one at the same time.

My main point im trying to bring across is we need more from those three guys if were gona win. If Tampa had Stamkos, St.Louis, Lecavalier all not producing at the same time I think you would all say the same thing. The reason they are losing is because their top guys are in a slump.

So to be clear im not out to get Iginla, he's my favorite player in the league. Im just saying that our best players (NOT just Iginla) need to up their game a bit if we want a shot at the playoffs this year. You mentioned that bad start we had before and how they turned it around, It can still be done but in a shortened season theres not alot of room for error and our best players need to be our best players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad