Post-Game Talk: BLACKHAWKS 0-4 Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
so it occurs to me that the hawks played just as horrible a game before the christmas break in 2014 and won the cup in 2015.

(just trying to spread some christmas cheer)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Disappointing game. Crow should have stopped the 1st two and the Hawks couldn't get anything from their strong 2nd period. It was disappointing for them to get run out the rink in the 3rd. Danault was the lone bright spot I saw. I really like his game and think he's here to stay one way or another.

The only thing that worries me a little is the road woes.

It's a loss in December to a very good team. Nothing to loss sleep over.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Let's be honest. If 81 and 19 aren't having career low years, this team would have 6-10 more points and be right at the top with Dallas

Yes we can talk about the scrubs and rookies, but outside of 88 and 2, the 'Stars' have been anything but

I also think Dano not being ready and Daley being a bust set things back. We Ll had expectTions of Daley providing offensive numbers (he didnt) and Dano being a key part of the 'lottery line'. He can't even crack the bottom 6 as of now

Those are the biggest issues so far

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Technically speaking Corey's heels should have been on the top of the paint. As I stated earlier I don't think Crow was ready for the shot which makes things worse. Soft is not the right word but the shot was more than saveable.

Fact is that the Hawks laid an egg in the 3rd. Both goals were huge from a momentum standpoint. Not all Crows fault but as a goalie you can't let those in.

I never said that I didn't completely agree with you. And I do. He should have challenged Sharp more.

I am just really sick of everytime we lose MAN THE GOALIE SUCKS. If he did exactly"This" then it wouldn't have gone in!
Which isn't exactly true. Hence me pointing out that Rask was way out but the shot still beat him.

Pucks go in on goalies. If they didn't, there wouldn't be a sport.
But the whole bash only the goalie crowd gets really old.

Edit: I must clarify, I don't think you are part of that crowd. Your assessment of goalies is fair between #50 & #33. Even though we might not always agree, I appreciate your input

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
You're placing a lot of expectations on bottom six and bottom pairing players. Garbutt and Mashinter aren't going to be the difference in the Hawks going deep any more guys like Bollig, Frolik, Rozi and Rubdblad were in the past. Can they eat up minutes, not give the game away and perhaps add to the offense every so often? Can they do that for more games than they can't? Yes? Then I'm satisfied.

I think fans have forgotten what a real retool/rebuild year actually looks like. There's a difference between having a near all-star team that's a guaranteed Cup winner (debatable if such a team even exist) and having a strong team that can contend but fans will have to white-knuckle out a few games. I'm sorry Hawks teams in the past made you think winning the Cup is supposed to be some easy romp you can see coming in December. It's not.

I saw this team as not winning a Cup for the next couple years. Making the playoffs but figuring out the roster. Just not possible to keep a 2010-like team together. They will have ups and downs. It is not realistic to think that for 82 games a year there is going to be 100% effort and playoff-like intensity.

One issue is our road record being so bad. That is of concern through 45% of the season. that is a trend that is not getting fixed it seems. And who knows the reason for it. It is confounding.

The players I mentioned are very much a component (or not) of winning. Being able to roll 4 lines without worry. Our winning teams have been able to do that as have other winning teams. That is not an option now nor has it been for most of the year. What you are asking for, eating minutes, scoring on occasion, is not happening for the most part. Especially the scoring as I think the 4th line, if Kruger were healthy, as 1 goal as it stands. For 36 games. And I laugh at diminishing Fro's play as he was a key PKer

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Do not worry...We are assured the Hawks core/leaders will flip the switch when it matters most...8n playoffs..Meanwhile Q let's them get away with playing 1 good period out of 3 and accepts this garbage as entertainment /excitement worthy of blowing hard-earned dollars to watch live or valuable time I vested to watch on t.v. After-all if Captain Serious a not get serious about 82 tegular season games why should any of the rest of tge team be any different...So 1 of every 3 periods of trying g is enough "work" for a game ...and that attitude IS our biggest problem...Want usually triumphs over deficiencies of talent and depth at retain positions..but Lack of WANT for the majority of time in a game is a killer /poison that certainly prevents successful missions. Country Club Q ...accepting that 1/3 of a game played well and 2/3 of a game played meh to poorly is fine for regular season play is a poisonous recipie that should not engender the favour of the hockey gods..it is bad bad karma and it has happened way too often this season...sometimes they got away with wins playing 1/3 of games because of Kane or Crawford bailing them out..but last night the 4-o loss to Dallas was everything a 1/3 try team deserved...1 good period should not get you much and last night it rightly did not get them anything except fan derision.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I saw this team as not winning a Cup for the next couple years. Making the playoffs but figuring out the roster. Just not possible to keep a 2010-like team together. They will have ups and downs. It is not realistic to think that for 82 games a year there is going to be 100% effort and playoff-like intensity.

One issue is our road record being so bad. That is of concern through 45% of the season. that is a trend that is not getting fixed it seems. And who knows the reason for it. It is confounding.

The players I mentioned are very much a component (or not) of winning. Being able to roll 4 lines without worry. Our winning teams have been able to do that as have other winning teams. That is not an option now nor has it been for most of the year. What you are asking for, eating minutes, scoring on occasion, is not happening for the most part. Especially the scoring as I think the 4th line, if Kruger were healthy, as 1 goal as it stands. For 36 games. And I laugh at diminishing Fro's play as he was a key PKer

Nobody should expect that but there are too many nights where only 1 or 2 guys are going.

That is unacceptable.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014

Exactly. So why are people acting like this game is predictive of anything in the playoffs?

It was obviously unreasonable to expect this team to gel right away but can you please give them the benefit of the whole season before setting a cap at their potential? Just from what we've seen so far I think guys like Garbutt, Danaut and even Scuderi can fill in PK roles like Frolik and Smith did. Meanwhile, guys like Shaw and Kruger can continue to be "rollable" like they always have and their new linemates can keep up with them...if you give them time. A championship organization knows how to use the entire season to build the best possible roster heading into the playoffs. Any team that thinks they're set after 36 games is in for a big letdown in spring.

Bottom line suggestion for fans: learn to enjoy the growing process this season. It's ugly at times but they cal them growing pains for a reason. If you can't take 46 games of gelling then find a hobby and wait for the postseason. But to act like every inter-division or road loss is a sign of doom to come four months from now is just foolishness.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I never said that I didn't completely agree with you. And I do. He should have challenged Sharp more.

I am just really sick of everytime we lose MAN THE GOALIE SUCKS. If he did exactly"This" then it wouldn't have gone in!
Which isn't exactly true. Hence me pointing out that Rask was way out but the shot still beat him.

Pucks go in on goalies. If they didn't, there wouldn't be a sport.
But the whole bash only the goalie crowd gets really old.

Edit: I must clarify, I don't think you are part of that crowd. Your assessment of goalies is fair between #50 & #33. Even though we might not always agree, I appreciate your input

The blame game is part of being a goalie. When you are picked to play the position you learn very quickly that you are judged on Wins first. People remember all goals and only remember great saves. That is just how it is so I would not look into people being overly critical of our goalies.

Playing goalie takes a crazy amount of technical focus. Being off 1 inch for a goalie means a goal against. Being a forward or D you have more room for loose technical skills and error. NOT SAYING PLAYING FORWARD OR DEFENSE TAKES LESS SKILL.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
The blame game is part of being a goalie. When you are picked to play the position you learn very quickly that you are judged on Wins first. People remember all goals and only remember great saves. That is just how it is so I would not look into people being overly critical of our goalies.

Playing goalie takes a crazy amount of technical focus. Being off 1 inch for a goalie means a goal against. Being a forward or D you have more room for loose technical skills and error. NOT SAYING PLAYING FORWARD OR DEFENSE TAKES LESS SKILL.

You are correct, of course.
It is just frustrating as a fan of goalies is all.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Exactly. So why are people acting like this game is predictive of anything in the playoffs?

It was obviously unreasonable to expect this team to gel right away but can you please give them the benefit of the whole season before setting a cap at their potential? Just from what we've seen so far I think guys like Garbutt, Danaut and even Scuderi can fill in PK roles like Frolik and Smith did. Meanwhile, guys like Shaw and Kruger can continue to be "rollable" like they always have and their new linemates can keep up with them...if you give them time. A championship organization knows how to use the entire season to build the best possible roster heading into the playoffs. Any team that thinks they're set after 36 games is in for a big letdown in spring.

Bottom line suggestion for fans: learn to enjoy the growing process this season. It's ugly at times but they cal them growing pains for a reason. If you can't take 46 games of gelling then find a hobby and wait for the postseason. But to act like every inter-division or road loss is a sign of doom to come four months from now is just foolishness.

Well said. We're less than 3 months into a 6 month+ season and the team has already changed a great deal since opening day. The tweaking will be less and less as the season progresses and the final assessment by Hawks management will come at or near the TD. That is the time for folks here to seriously evaluate where Hawks stand. Perhaps they won't be considered as SC favorites this time around but they will be contenders. Bank on it.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Patience is a virtue that is in short supply in these parts.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You are correct, of course.
It is just frustrating as a fan of goalies is all.

If you listen to Q's post game interview, he states last night's situation quite well. He called both of the first 2 goals momentum killers. Timing is everything when it comes to goaltender performances.

As for Hawks goaltending picture: Crawford has been good but I think he is being overplayed which also affects the back-up. It's impossible for Darling to get into game shape, playing so rarely. It is the main reason I opened the thread at the beginning of the season, wondering what the split between the two would be. I'd much prefer something like 51 - 31, over what we are seeing from Q. I'd also like to see Q stick with the hot goalie when possible. My math says at this rate Darling will start somewhere around 17 games, which 1/ is not enough for him to remain sharp 2/ overworks Crawford and 3/risks injury to Crawford.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I am shocked that Scotty hasn't played more. But they aren't winning games with him in net.
That isn't always his fault, as he has been pretty decent this year.
I think he will get more starts after the first of the year

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I am shocked that Scotty hasn't played more. But they aren't winning games with him in net.
That isn't always his fault, as he has been pretty decent this year.
I think he will get more starts after the first of the year

Crow has been hot and Q has given him a start here or there (back to back last weekend) that you would expect Darling to get. Right now they are on pace for Crow 64 and Darling 18. That's not far off what you'd expect. I'd think Darling gets a few more starts in the 2nd half and it ends up with Crow around 60 and Darling 22. No issue with how the goaltending has been handled.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
As frustrated as you guys are getting about the doom and gloom guys, I get equally frustrated about the 'it's the Hawks, they'll be fine because they always are' crowd. I just can't buy that. Of the 12 forwards playing each night, 4-5 are different that last year. 3-4 are rookies and two are bums. Not to mention the D

The Hawks lost a lot. Sharp had a bad year last year I think largely due to some personal issues and the Clint Reif thing. He was one season removed from a 30 goal campaign. He was a leader and veteran presence and part of 'the core'. Same for 27. He was a critical part of the D. With his absence, the Hawks have a bottom pairing d man playing in the top 4 (who is effectively a rookie) and the bottom 2 has been a disaster all season

Versteeg was Versteeg but he added veteran cup winning presence and the 88-91-23 line was on fire for a while. He gave key minutes and some scoring even when moved.

Saad was Saad. A fantastic two way player who played on arguably the best line in the NHL. Yes the Hawks got Anisimov in return and Kane finally got his center. However the subtraction of Saad has done something bad for that first line. They just haven't clicked. The trade is good long term but remember Kane had 91 last year. A veteran Conn Smythe winning center that provided a lot of points

Hossa is 36 years old now and my fear is that he's lost his shot. 19 has been in inconsistent at best, bad at worst. Both 19 and 81 are on pace for career lows in points.

Add to that, the lines are constantly being changed out of necessity and the team has trotted out multiple rookies who just aren't ready (Sved, Baun, Hartman, Danauly, Mashinter, Kero). Frankly was hoping Dano would be more everyday NHL ready. I think he and Daley were the worst two unpleasant surprises for the team this year that has effected them.

The team just doesn't look like they consistently gel. Passing in general is bad. The blue line is a mess. one team from each conference makes it to the final each year. One. This just doesn't look like that sort of team and I attribute it to the loss of veteran proven players, the addition of unproven rookies and the bad years of 19, 81 and 16 to an extent

Dallas is a very good team. The Hawks trades effectively made them that. The additions of Sharp and Oduya, coupled with the subtraction of Daley and Garbutt and the maturation of Klingberg have done that. One thing to unload salary. When a team unloads salary they usually drop off as we saw in 2010. They lost critical components. After 2013, they really didn't. They lost very critical components after 2015.

People say ''Dallas needs another d man to be a force in the post season'. Ok. And the Blackhawks don't? They are dying for one.

For me, it will come down to the trade deadline. It was the reason they won the Cup last year. Took 80 a while to gel but he was fantastic in the playoffs. 3 game winners, key minutes and a beast at the dot. The Hawks need a d man to emerge, 19 and 88 to get their shib together and a veteran scorer like Vermette at the deadline to make a deep run

That's just the way I see it. Each season is different.

I might take your opinion more seriously if you weren't one of the people that repeatedly gave up on the Hawks last postseason. Odds are they won't win the Stanley Cup, but they can still very much compete for it. Even with their problems right now, they're still in a pretty good spot. And they have lots of time to get better/make a move(s).

You keep saying they lost a lot of important pieces, but they also gained some important pieces like Panarin and Anisimov, and a more experienced Teuvo and TVR. Who knows, maybe Dano could be last year's Teuvo. They'll also have the cap space to make some trades. Toews and Hossa won't continue to play like this either IMO.

The roster saw some significant changes, and it takes time to get things right. They're not going to magically be amazing right away. It's also not comparable to 2011 at all. This team has way more talent.

The negative posters do this every year. It's like they desperately want to finally be right to justify the constant negativity. I'd rather go with patience, a level head, and giving the best team of this decade the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. The season isn't 36 games, and the Hawks know how to win in the postseason.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I might take your opinion more seriously if you weren't one of the people that repeatedly gave up on the Hawks last postseason. Odds are they won't win the Stanley Cup, but they can still very much compete for it. Even with their problems right now, they're still in a pretty good spot. And they have lots of time to get better/make a move(s).

You keep saying they lost a lot of important pieces, but they also gained some important pieces like Panarin and Anisimov, and a more experienced Teuvo and TVR. Who knows, maybe Dano could be last year's Teuvo. They'll also have the cap space to make some trades. Toews and Hossa won't continue to play like this either IMO.

The roster saw some significant changes, and it takes time to get things right. They're not going to magically be amazing right away. It's also not comparable to 2011 at all. This team has way more talent.

The negative posters do this every year. It's like they desperately want to finally be right to justify the constant negativity. I'd rather go with patience, a level head, and giving the best team of this decade the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. The season isn't 36 games, and the Hawks know how to win in the postseason.

This post should just end the thread. Period.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So, honest question for people here; is 7-3 the last 10 and being two points out of a tie for 2nd in the Western Conference and a tie for 3rd overall in the entire league just a mirage and unsustainable for this team? Because that's where things are at today, games played differential compared to some teams acknowledged.

Perspective is always nice but that doesn't discount the disappointment that the fans are feeling. Racking up wins against non-elite teams in the league is good, but I hoped for a better showing against Dallas. I don't believe this loss is indicative of the Hawks playoff success this year but it obviously would've been nice not to have been blown out by one of the hottest teams in the league and then have to sit on that loss over the Christmas break.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
everybody panic.

they played a crap game in the middle of december. who cares. This is not a retooling year. They have as good of chance as any team in the league to win. This is without hossa and kruger and before the deadline. these teams maybe compleetely different.

Reading this board makes me more angry then the game often times.

BTW i thought Danault looked great

That line basically shut down their #1 line. 24 was awesome. I loved Q after the game. "They were great."

Ras and 24 give us some hope. I am shocked how good 24 is.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Do not worry...We are assured the Hawks core/leaders will flip the switch when it matters most...8n playoffs..Meanwhile Q let's them get away with playing 1 good period out of 3 and accepts this garbage as entertainment /excitement worthy of blowing hard-earned dollars to watch live or valuable time I vested to watch on t.v. After-all if Captain Serious a not get serious about 82 tegular season games why should any of the rest of tge team be any different...So 1 of every 3 periods of trying g is enough "work" for a game ...and that attitude IS our biggest problem...Want usually triumphs over deficiencies of talent and depth at retain positions..but Lack of WANT for the majority of time in a game is a killer /poison that certainly prevents successful missions. Country Club Q ...accepting that 1/3 of a game played well and 2/3 of a game played meh to poorly is fine for regular season play is a poisonous recipie that should not engender the favour of the hockey gods..it is bad bad karma and it has happened way too often this season...sometimes they got away with wins playing 1/3 of games because of Kane or Crawford bailing them out..but last night the 4-o loss to Dallas was everything a 1/3 try team deserved...1 good period should not get you much and last night it rightly did not get them anything except fan derision.

Serious question for you dude since I am getting sick of these same posts, sorry.

How do you tell the difference between a bad TEAM (bad results..losses) and a bad night in EFFORT? I mean I thought we tried and brought A game. I was like wow this is good early on in the game, had a PO feel.

All this country club crap. In your mind how do u decide what you are looking at? score? plus minus? sweat droplets on 19's face?

Honestly would love to know.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Well said. Every team has issues and ups and downs through the regular season. It's a long process. Its completely fair to be critical but I never understand the grand proclamations of what the team can or can't do in the postseason given that they are so far away. The Hawks have cap space and will certainly look to add a piece or two at the deadline. They will certainly be a contender. Will they win? Time will tell.

ThePizzaMan

Jun 11, 2015
My friend called me up and asked if I watching the game. I told him,"Nope. I'm playing Xbox." He said, "Well, it's a big game." I told him there are no big games in December.

I used to watch every game until they started winning. I can understand why the team takes nights off. Regular season is even boring for the fans.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
As frustrated as you guys are getting about the doom and gloom guys, I get equally frustrated about the 'it's the Hawks, they'll be fine because they always are' crowd. I just can't buy that.

What's your definition of fine?

Is it winning the Stanley Cup? Then yeah, you should prepare yourself for disappointment. Because the odds of any team going back-to-back is low, let alone with roster turnover.

How about making the playoffs? How about being threat to get the WCF?

If that's what you're hoping for, then yes, the Blackhawks are still. They're 9 points out of a WC spot, they're close to the top of the standings in points earned, and they've done it without several of their best players being their best players.

This team can play better. I think they will. What will they achieve when they do?

The only thing this team needs as far as roster additions is a top 4 Dman. If they can get one, Blackhawks are a threat to make the finals again.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

We don't agree on everything, but I'm totally with you on this.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad