flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

lights.gif

Last edited:

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I think this is a 'bigger' game. Stars coming off a back-to-back. The guys going up against Sharp and Oduya for the first time this year, division rival, last game before Christmas holiday.

Also, a win would mean that my GDT's have a record of 10-4-2, which is by no means a poor start to the 2015-16 season!

mban

Dec 23, 2014
Toronto
It looks like Sharpie's been giving away Hawks trade secrets: Stars benefiting from Sharp’s experience, leadership :sarcasm:

“You can tell he is an experienced player,” said Benn. “He’s talking a lot more now. On the bench in the intense situations, he’s telling guys to keep playing and be composed out there. There is no need to panic. It’s nice to hear that sometimes.

Sharp has helped play a role in keeping the Stars on an even keel after both wins and losses.

“He knows how to level off the highs and lows,” Ruff said. “We put away losses. We don’t sit on a win and think we’re better than we are. We know that every game if you don’t put the work in and you’re not the hardest-working team, there’s a good chance you’re going to lose the game. Our team’s been good at putting that behind us, and I think some of that comes from a guy like Patrick and Johnny.”

Man Reay

Peanut Gallery
Oct 1, 2013
Big Chicago
Well played GDT, Grandmaster, thank you. The Christmas lights are a nice touch.

No excuses for either team tonight. Injuries, back-to-back, whatever. Not that they'll admit it before or after the game, but they both want this one badly and will leave it all on the ice.

Cannot wait.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Watching the game against the Wild last night it is obvious that the Stars want games that are high scoring. Their D jump up a lot. Sharpie ha early looks just like last year except he has Been and Seguin. Oduya just looks weird to me in another jersey.

The Wild came out strong but could not maintain their lead. I personally think our d can take advantage of the Stars aggressiveness and use the stretch pass to create opportunities. After the 1st The Wild just let down. Stars are good but are beatable. They remind me of the Capitals before Trotz.

Roussell is still a ***** but he does his job.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I still miss Sharpie.

I know I am in the minority here but I don't miss him that much. He was a good Hawk but his game bugged me. I still have nightmares about his 5foot wide shots on the pp with his heels on the blue line that would ring out and kill our pp. Good player but I will take 72 over 10 all day.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ it was impressive that Stars stuck to their game plan, and won quite handily despite the 2 quick goals against to begin the game. I wonder if Niemi gets the start?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
/\ it was impressive that Stars stuck to their game plan, and won quite handily despite the 2 quick goals against to begin the game. I wonder if Niemi gets the start?

I would assume so and hope so because I think Niemi is a lot less scary than Kari. Kari can pull a Varlomov and Antti is just more steady. I wonder how much better Kari would have been if he was not drafted by Atlanta.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Dallas keeps pouring in goals with ease as they got 6 last night on Minnesota...But they also get a lot of puck luck and goalies not at their best...2 of their goals were of the lucky kind...one shot from the point went off 2 Dallas players via deflections towards the net and tge last deflection whacked upwards changing direction and giving any goalie no chance...and so it goes into the net...Another lucky goal came off a face-off in the Minnesota zone ....Minnesota wins the draw and gains possession and they take a few steps to transition back up the ice to attack but almost before they have gone 2 steps a Dallas player gets his stick on the puck carrier Spurgeon ...the puck turns over heading directly back towards the net where Tyler Seguin naturally is behind all the others having g just list the face-off...he pivots 360 degrees now with the puck that came right back to him and now facing the goalie all alone he naturally scores. .Stff like this just keeps happening for Dallas as if the hockey gods have blessed them...both with talent and with great luck...

Our only hope tonight against such double threat of goal scoring talent plus luck is to hope they are either tired in the 2nd of a back to back and/or they slack off in a Christmas break us coming mood of generosity to us...Or that CC is first star of the game and steaks one for us..Because surely you cannot expect us to play with greatness given our poor road performances ...or that Captain Toews will gift us one of his very few I will play hard fir an entire game rather than for just a few minutes type of effort and put up a multi-point rare "starry" game?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I know I am in the minority here but I don't miss him that much. He was a good Hawk but his game bugged me. I still have nightmares about his 5foot wide shots on the pp with his heels on the blue line that would ring out and kill our pp. Good player but I will take 72 over 10 all day.

I know what you mean. But we have a lot of players who do really frustrating things. I just miss him being around the team.
I always hoped that maybe he would come back after his current deal, but he seems to be loving it down there in TX. Who knows.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I still miss Sharpie.

X 1000...... I still feel sick when I see him in that green uniform

Up until last season Sharp had a penchant for scoring key goals when the team needed a goal the most. He often didn't get enough credit for that, playing behind the talented core of Keith, T/K, Hossa, Seabs .... but last season he showed signs of losing that knack. I understand why Stan felt it was the right time to trade him, but I will always have a soft spot for Sharp as well.

As for Sharp himself: he seems to be in an ideal situation to get his game back to where he was with a fresh start, fresh team.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
I know what you mean. But we have a lot of players who do really frustrating things. I just miss him being around the team.
I always hoped that maybe he would come back after his current deal, but he seems to be loving it down there in TX. Who knows.

I don't think a few players on the team miss him being around. I think he ran his course here.

It is so weird seeing him on Dallas, though. I'll miss watching him as a hawk.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Up until last season Sharp had a penchant for scoring key goals when the team needed a goal the most. He often didn't get enough credit for that, playing behind the talented core of Keith, T/K, Hossa, Seabs .... but last season he showed signs of losing that knack. I understand why Stan felt it was the right time to trade him, but I will always have a soft spot for Sharp as well.

As for Sharp himself: he seems to be in an ideal situation to get his game back to where he was with a fresh start, fresh team.

I can agree with this. Sharpie was just not my guy.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The NHL can boggle the mind sometimes.

I think people forget that teams get up to play the Hawks. When you are on top on the mountain for a long period of time people are always tuning for you but it is not easy to get turned up for every game during the regular season for the Hawks. The Hawks seem to save it for the playoffs and honestly that is why they are frustrating BUT there is a good chance that is why they can maintain that extra focus for the whole playoffs.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Dallas was very opportunistic last night. they pounced on Wild errors and put them in the net like the Hawks often do. The Wild did their usual buzz around the zone but not create a whole lot of offense. Their D was a bit of a train wreck at times but in the second half of the game they were pretty solid. Not sure which goalie will start yet.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly in the playoffs the Wild might be the scariest team for me because they play our style and they are willing to grind it out.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Honestly in the playoffs the Wild might be the scariest team for me because they play our style and they are willing to grind it out.

Been saying that for years then the playoffs come and they wilt against us. I thought we were going out to them last year and we end up sweeping them. We seem to figure them out in the playoffs, can't happen every year but I still like our chances.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Been saying that for years then the playoffs come and they wilt against us. I thought we were going out to them last year and we end up sweeping them. We seem to figure them out in the playoffs, can't happen every year but I still like our chances.

I like our chances too but I still think they have the team that can beat us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad