TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Take a step back, ignore the love story of SJ, and just marvel in how they peel back the layers before the full reveal that it's a VR world. That is what I loved most about that episode. You go into a BM episode knowing that not everything is what it seems, but the reveal in SJ is one of their finest.

Then on the rewatch you pick up little things like how Yorkie cringes at the video game when the car crashes.

It's just a great episode of TV. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, though.

Guessing this guy also hated the "Thanksgiving" episode of Master of None, another one of my favorite TV episodes of all time.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
SJ is a nice little love story on its own merits but it doesnt fit in Black Mirror for me

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just recently discovered this show and it's been good so far. I have finished the first 5 episodes and will be watching The Waldo Moment shortly.
I didn't like Waldo on my first watching because it felt so improbable. This episode is probably the one worth a rewatch the most considering what happened during the 2016 election.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
SJ was a good episode, but I didn't think it was great.

I do think that it gets a little boost in it's critical reception because of the topic it touches on. But it was a good episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deen

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Office is closed tomorrow. Wonder how many eps I get through. When season 3 dropped, I took the day off work. Got through Nosedive pretty easy, but had to take a four-hour break after Playtest :laugh:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I just have San Junipero and Hated by the Nation left.

Shut Up and Dance is my favorite so far. Watched it two days ago and still have chills from it.

Whats cool about this show is I read maybe a dozen rankings of the episodes and found zero consistency.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
two episodes deep. USS Callister is incredibly good. Arkangel was fine.

EDIT: 3 eps. Crocodile was pretty disappointing but the ending was quite cool

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
USS Callister

Liked it a lot, but would have enjoyed seeing some of the real-world implications after the plan worked. What happens to the program/company now that their CTO is likely going to die in the game? They make a point that he's a loner, and that it's 10 days straight off from work, so no one is going to notice that he's gone. So he'll probably die in that chair from dehydration, no?

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
reply to Callister spoiler

yeah hes dying in that chair. also I loved Aaron Paul as the gamer at the end haha

4 Episodes in now. Hang the DJ was quite nice. taking a break before Metalhead and Black Museum cause they look so f***ed

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Thought USS Callister was just okay.

I didn't like that they basically just copied the cookie concept from White Christmas. I find it difficult to relate/feel sympathetic to something that isn't technically real

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
reply to Callister spoiler

yeah hes dying in that chair. also I loved Aaron Paul as the gamer at the end haha

4 Episodes in now. Hang the DJ was quite nice. taking a break before Metalhead and Black Museum cause they look so ****ed

Didn't catch that voice cameo. Nice!

I didn't like that they basically just copied the cookie concept from White Christmas. I find it difficult to relate/feel sympathetic to something that isn't technically real

True, but I think they do a good job with them, regardless.

Arkangel

Judging by the promos for each episode, I thought this one was going to be my favorite. I was let down. I think the concept of this is brilliant, but the execution here was lacking. Turned into another sort of cliche, bad boy/bad girl/parent gets involved story, and I thought they could've done better. The beginning of the episode, when she was still a child, had me stressed the f*** out, but found everything after that, Sarah's teenage storyline, to be, well, not that great.

Only thing I could think the whole time was that if I had one of those Arkangel chips, every episode of Black Mirror would be a blurred mess to me.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Arkangel

literally went exactly as I expected and thats a letdown in Black Mirror lol

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Arkangel

literally went exactly as I expected and thats a letdown in Black Mirror lol
After about 5 minutes of reflection (aka pooping after the episode was over).

I wonder if that was the point? Even with the tech, the story was as cliched as it could be.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Metalhead

I was really hoping for more. it was kinda cool but ultimately disappointing

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Crocodile

THE BABY WAS BLIND!?!?! f*** YOU BLACK MIRROR! I let out a loud, audible "NO" when that line dropped. Oh f***, f*** f***.

Shout out to the hamster, you the real MVP

@SeidoN don't want to quote your post bc I haven't watched that one yet. Did you skip Crocodile, or just not comment on it?

Last edited:

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I commented on it briefly. I thought it was kinda meh honestly.

the blind baby was a interesting twist if a little forced. I liked the concept overall though. and Codgers MVP indeed haha. the one part I liked [/spoilers]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I commented on it briefly. I thought it was kinda meh honestly.

the blind baby was a interesting twist if a little forced. I liked the concept overall though. and Codgers MVP indeed haha. the one part I liked [/spoilers]
Gotcha.

Hang the DJ

Too obvious that they were in a simulation, especially after Amy pointed out hat she never gets more or less than four rock skips. I did like how the 99.8% match was revealed though. 998/1000 rebellions. Liked that a lot

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
my very early episode ratings. ill put them in spoiler tags just in case, but theres no actual spoilers

USS Callister - 9.5/10
Arkangel - 5/10
Crocodile - 3/10
Hang the DJ - 6/10
Metalhead - 2-3/10
Black Museum - 9/10

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Finished...

Metalhead

Interesting. I felt the black and white was a really good touch for this episode, sort of put things in the dogs perspective. The teddy bear reveal at the end was also very cool. You expect it to be some sort of important medicine, but nope, a simple stuffed animal.

Black Museum

My favorite of the bunch. I predicted the twist (it was his daughter) earlier than I'd like to have. Such is Black Mirror, though. You're always thinking about what the angle is. So I enjoyed the 2nd twist that her mom was in her head the whole time. The anthologies within that episode were some great stories, too. I wonder if they were concepts for full episodes that they couldn't workshop to be 50 or so minutes long.

Final rankings:

6, 4, 1, 3, 5, 2

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

As far as the people that are in there it's very real to them. It's basically a digital clone that doesn't know much different. I like how they are using bits of the same tech in other episodes. This one had a bit of White Christmas and San Junipero

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
As far as the people that are in there it's very real to them. It's basically a digital clone that doesn't know much different. I like how they are using bits of the same tech in other episodes. This one had a bit of White Christmas and San Junipero
Yeah but everyone in the real world is not affected by what is going on in the infinity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad