TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I've been reflecting on these episodes basically any time I find myself day dreaming. Has been a lot today, being back at work. One thought on what could've made CROCODILE better:

They should've explored the subjectivity of our memories more than they did, which really wasn't at all outside of Shazia mentioning it in passing a couple of times, and then the color of the women's jacket changing in the dentist's memory.

I agree.
Also - sweet avatar, I'm assuming it's a reference to Ready Player One? I just finished the book for the first time, really enjoyable read.

Reactions: silverfish

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah but everyone in the real world is not affected by what is going on in the infinity.

I watched the episode and had similar thoughts. Ok, not great. It's actually my issue with not loving Westworld as much as everyone else seems to as well.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Just watched three episodes

USS Callister 4.5/5

Metalhead 5/5

Arkangel 3.5/5

I ain’t going to spoil anything but I will say this, Metalhead is not the typical Black Mirrior episode and honestly that is what I liked about it. It felt unique and the simplicity of it really added to its tone of bleakness and despair.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
Watched USS Callister i loved it, just the accent Plemons was using in his Infinity had me giggling. Thought it was a great episode.

Hang the DJ was great, i really enjoy it when Black Mirror does a love store (San Junipero was amazing too)

Currently watching Black Museum but i fell asleep about halfway through. So far great episode as well i'm curious too see whats the twist.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Watched the first 4 episodes and so far:

Liked:
Hang the DJ
Crocodile (really not getting the hate for this one)

Meh:
USS Callister

Disliked:
Arkangel

I changed my mind about USS Callister after I saw how terrible Arkangel was. So far this is the worst Black Mirror season by far. It's not horrendous by any means but the quality is nowhere close to the previous 3 seasons.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm liking the season more as I digest it. I think my expectations mess with my viewing and therefore my judging. I don't think any are really below BM standards. There's been many meh episodes in previous seasons when compared to other "great" BM episodes.

As Black Mirror Episodes go;

In order of preference:

Really Like: Black Museum, USS Callister & Hang the DJ

Acceptable: Metalhead, Crocodile & Arkangel

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm liking the season more as I digest it. I think my expectations mess with my viewing and therefore my judging. I don't think any are really below BM standards. There's been many meh episodes in previous seasons when compared to other "great" BM episodes.

As Black Mirror Episodes go;

In order of preference:

Really Like: Black Museum, USS Callister & Hang the DJ

Acceptable: Metalhead, Crocodile & Arkangel
Think this is a fair point. If Black Mirror didn't exist, and this was the first season ever of Black Mirror, people would be pretty pumped about it.

But that's what makes this a great show. The expectations are huge. They've earned them, but, they also gotta live up to it. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm only 2 episodes in, and while I've enjoyed it, I've been a little underwhelmed.

I fully acknowledge this is because of the high quality of shows past and what a high bar that is to reach. The 2 episodes I've seen are still quality TV though, just not as great as a lot of the previous BM episodes that have come before it, IMO.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
I enjoyed the season. I had high expectations but I'm also a big fanboy, so even though I expect so much I also perhaps "force" myself to like everything.

Here are my rankings and (somewhat) quick thoughts on each episode:

#1: Black Museum

I thought this episode was awesome. The mini-anthology within the episode was really well done and almost feel as if those were ideas for full episodes that they couldn't turn into a full 50+ minute one. I also liked some of the exhibits and different parts of the episode giving nods to previous seasons. The first twist about the girl being the main attractions daughter was kind of obvious but having her mother in HER head as the second twist I did not see coming. That was good. Although it wasn't as dark as the previous three seasons, this felt more in-line with the other seasons.

#2: USS Callister

To be honest, I think this ranking may be influenced with how much everybody else enjoyed it. I thought the concept was pretty cool, but I didn't really like the ending of them breaking into his apartment and stealing the DNA. Overall it was pretty cool and I had no idea what it was going to be about during that initial scene

#3: Crocodile

This episode is getting a lot of flak, but I enjoyed it. I agree the technology was not as big of a part throughout the episode as some of the others, but that's okay. While the twist with the baby being blind fine, I thought it was stupid with the guinea pig being able to recall everything. With the humans, they were giving beer and music to help recall certain memories but we're supposed to believe that the guinea pig can just recall everything perfectly? Am I missing something here? I liked the aspect of the main girl doing what she did to try and cover her tracks but I think everything could have been executed better.

#4: Arkangel

The trend for this season for me is a great concept for an episode that was executed below expectations. Again, this concept was solid but I felt, as others have said, it became a bit too cliche with her becoming a "bad girl" as her mom watched and intervened. The ending with the daughter losing her mind was a bit predictable as well, but I don't know how else you end an episode like that. Overall it was okay.

#5: Metalhead

I think this needed to be in black and white to get the full effect and perhaps pull a below average episode into the average range. The concept was solid but I am not sure about the reveal being simply a box of teddy bears that they were after and not some sort of technology, medicine, etc. The mysteriousness of everybody she was talking to and such was an interesting dynamic and I understand that we're supposed to draw our own conclusions, but I wish a bit more was given to where she was from and where everybody was "hiding out" that she was talking to on her walky. But overall it was solid and I did like the entire concept with the dogs.

#6 Hang the DJ

I think this would have been a much better episode if it finished in a more dark manner. When the main male ruined his long-term relationship by changing the length and it re-calibrated, dropping from 5 years to 20(?) hours, that was great. I felt the episode should have continued down this darker path because he got "greedy" but instead it ended as it did and that was very meh to me.

I'm putting my overall thoughts on the season in spoilers just to be safe...

I enjoyed the season, but it was a bit disappointing because I was expecting greatness and I didn't get that. We've come to expect so much from Black Mirror and if this was the opening season, I think we'd all have a different opinion of it. But because of what we've seen, I think it was likely impossible to fully meet expectations. My one main gripe with this season is too many episodes ended in a happy ending of some sort with justice being served, so to speak.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I liked the use of tech in Crocodile and I thought it was very well acted. The problem with the episode to me is that it completely falls apart if you take just one second to think about Mia's absurd decision making. You're THAT opposed to an anonymous letter?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
got Netflix again just to watch this season so I'm pretty disappointed

Still haven't watched episode 5 and 6 as I started to binge Ozark (surprisingly a better show)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
season saved by the first and last episode

6 / 1

edit: looking at this thread nearly everyone agrees that 1, 4, 6 is a tier above.. hmm

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I thought 4 was pretty bad imo. They explain that they both have to look at the length of their relationship together but then they totally ignore that and let him look at it alone? Yeah it was all just a simulation but still...

After thinking about it more I really do not think Black Museum is that great. They essentially had to tie 3 different concepts together to just get a full length episode, and really, the first mini concept had nothing to do with the overall theme.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I don't think those are fair complaints.

I treat each Black Mirror episode as a 55min sci fi dystopian film. That's what sets it apart or elevates it to other top tier shows

Put the same creators and have them do a 3 season continous series and they most likely not be able to deliver

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I thought 4 was pretty bad imo. They explain that they both have to look at the length of their relationship together but then they totally ignore that and let him look at it alone? Yeah it was all just a simulation but still...

After thinking about it more I really do not think Black Museum is that great. They essentially had to tie 3 different concepts together to just get a full length episode, and really, the first mini concept had nothing to do with the overall theme.

I just watched it last night and I think that's incorrect. The people always looked but they didn't have to. Obviously, given the circumstances, that's the first thing everyone wanted to do on the date, but again, that wasn't required.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Mild spoilers, except for Black Museum, which I spoil.

USS Callister is probably my favorite BM episode. It just had everything going for it: funny, disturbing, well-acted, cool tech. Such a versatile episode that works on so many different levels.

Arkangel was probably the worst, both of this season and overall. Melodramatic, too long, not very interesting. I thought some of the tech callbacks to previous seasons were really well executed this season (such as the aspect of copying someone in USS Callister), but the whole blocking thing was just cringeworthy in how it was used in this episode.

I see that Crocodile has been divisive for a lot of people, but I really liked it. Yeah, there were some loopholes in terms of decisions that were made by the main character, but it did a good job at creating that claustrophobic feeling that you can't keep anything private, and even something inconspicuous in your past can be damning for you. I thought the scene where the memories started slipping out was really well done. The twist ending was just straight up bad though, not much else I can say about that.

Hang the DJ was technically sound and enjoyable to watch, but what the tech seemed to be wasn't intriguing at all to me. Reminded me a lot of The Lobster in terms of the world they built though. Just completely off-the-wall but hilarious. I think the twist does a lot to help tie everything together, although it was pretty predictable.

Metalhead was great for what it was, just a straight up survival horror. Tough to evaluate when there's no real meat on its bones though. The ending did a little bit to give more emotional merit to the story, but not much. Completely fine with having an episode like this sprinkled in though.

Black Museum was... interesting? I thought it was a poorly done version of White Christmas. The individual stories were great in Black Museum (although I thought the last one was easily the weakest of the bunch), but the way it was all tied together was just awful. White Christmas had that whole thing where the overarching story in the "hut" was just as interesting as the tales told throughout the episode, if not more so, but this one was just sloppy and uninteresting. "Yeah, that guy? He's my dad! Let's go, teddy bear lady!" Ugh.

All in all, it was certainly an uneven season, but I still thoroughly enjoyed in and think it's the most interesting TV show going right now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
To the above post, I don't think it's a spoiler to say Callister was a great episode and the more I mull over the season it's become my favorite of the year

Though the end with the "heist" was a little bit of plot convenience.

I still think a bad/not great episode of Black Mirror is still better than a majority of TV out there.

Although if I could purge one episode from the series list, it would definitely be Arkangel. I hated that one.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
There is a show on Amazon similar to Black Mirror called Electric Dreams. It's ... I've watched a couple episodes and they have trouble keeping my attention. This is like Black Mirror but it some cases way in the future. Bryan Cranston is in episode 2 I believe and Steve Buscemi is in another. They are decent but I've only seen a couple.

Not sure if there is or it's even worth a thread.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
my rankings:

1. USS
5. Metalhead
4. Hang the DJ
2. Arkangel
6. Black Museum
3. Crocodile

I found Black Museum had way too much of a "Goosebumps" feel to it with the tech stuff thrown in...cool concept but felt like the least "Black Mirror" episode to date
but Crocodile was my least favorite of the season

still a great season IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad