Confirmed with Link: Bitten and Pezzetta signs their 3-year ELC

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Two of them from Toronto and one from Ottawa. How many prospects do the Habs have that are from Ontario?

I think all 3 will get a contract. Pezzetta is 50/50 at this stage but he's having a decent year at age 19. A 6 round pick near a pt/game at age 19 is a solid return. Like others have said.. wait to see how he finished the year and then see where he stands at that point. Evans and Bitten are getting contracts. Too bad Evans might not be down college hockey in time for us to sign him this year and give him a few games.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans go UFA instead of sign with us.

I agree but every interview I read about him indicates he is happy with the Habs and how we have kept in touch with him. However, he is from Toronto and might not want to play for the Habs. I just can't see him passing up the opportunity at proving himself at center with the Habs who need centers. This is what his agent will be telling him

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I agree but every interview I read about him indicates he is happy with the Habs and how we have kept in touch with him. However, he is from Toronto and might not want to play for the Habs. I just can't see him passing up the opportunity at proving himself at center with the Habs who need centers. This is what his agent will be telling him

A lot of NCAA players have been using this route to get into the NHL and make good money right away. It's happening more and more, and I suspect the next CBA will address it or control it in some way. It has less to do with him not wanting to play with the habs, and more to do with wanting to play in the NHL right away and make good money instantly. Going UFA just gives the player more bargaining power that's all there is to it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A lot of NCAA players have been using this route to get into the NHL and make good money right away. It's happening more and more, and I suspect the next CBA will address it or control it in some way. It has less to do with him not wanting to play with the habs, and more to do with wanting to play in the NHL right away and make good money instantly. Going UFA just gives the player more bargaining power that's all there is to it.

It's happening more but the cases are not that many as far as I can tell. With Evans, it sucks the Habs can give him a contract and burn a year with him playing this year like they did with Lindgren. Depending how long Evans playoffs goes with Notre Dame, our season might be done by then (both Montreal and Laval). Then we lose any advantage.

Evans is a decent prospect but I think he will need a year or two in the AHL before he is NHL ready. If he wants to explore UFA, let him! Were not losing a top 6 center with him IMO.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Bitten absolutely. Letting him go would be a mistake.

He's a long shot. But he has a shot. Some players do well at higher levels even when their numbers at lower levels aren't great.

Danault is one of the rare examples of that.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
It's happening more but the cases are not that many as far as I can tell. With Evans, it sucks the Habs can give him a contract and burn a year with him playing this year like they did with Lindgren. Depending how long Evans playoffs goes with Notre Dame, our season might be done by then (both Montreal and Laval). Then we lose any advantage.

Evans is a decent prospect but I think he will need a year or two in the AHL before he is NHL ready. If he wants to explore UFA, let him! Were not losing a top 6 center with him IMO.

Well there you go...if you think he needs 2 years in the AHL, but there is at least ONE team in the NHL today that believes he can play in the NHL and give him a guarateed one way contract then which one do you think he is going to pick? It's just business now. NCAA can go to UFA...other junior leagues have to re-enter the draft I believe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well there you go...if you think he needs 2 years in the AHL, but there is at least ONE team in the NHL today that believes he can play in the NHL and give him a guarateed one way contract then which one do you think he is going to pick? It's just business now. NCAA can go to UFA...other junior leagues have to re-enter the draft I believe.

Well, you don't tell him to his face that he will play 2 years in the AHL. You tell him he has a shot at our NHL team if he can earn the job. That's what pretty much all teams tell guys in this position. He can surprise but I think he will need time to adjust in the end.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Evans & Bitten better be signed.

Pezzetta being signed would be a horrenodus waste of a contract spot, almost a bigger waste than the draft pick used on the bum.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He's a long shot. But he has a shot. Some players do well at higher levels even when their numbers at lower levels aren't great.

Danault is one of the rare examples of that.

I don't know what changed with Bitten after he left Flint but I watched him a lot in Flint and talked to people on the team and he was one of the few kids who didn't just play his role and instead stood up for the situation and tried to rally the locker room. He was passionate and let his play show how much it meant to him that he wanted to be a solution to a bad situation. Since getting traded I guess he hasn't developed much since but I still have faith that once he's in the AHL he's going to find that fire again and maybe bring it to the NHL. It's not like he has been bad in Hamilton he isn't far from top in scoring. If not, hey I don't have a perfect batting average, but he just feels like the kind of guy you want to take to war with you.

I'm an old Islanders fan so maybe this comparison doesn't work for some here but he reminds me a bit of Butch Goring. I just think if anything you give him a shot and see where he goes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

can't do that, he has to sign an ELC which is 2 way. It's based off age, so Evans will have to sign a 2 year 2 way ELC no matter where he signs in the NHL and it's limited how much money he can make.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Pezzetta being signed would be a horrenodus waste of a contract spot, almost a bigger waste than the draft pick used on the bum.

I would've said the same at the beginning of the season.

But he progressed a lot this season, like him or not.

Now, I'm far from suggesting he'll be a world beater, perhaps even only a role player in the A at some point, BUT, he progressed, that's pretty much what matters with prospects, he was in the 'Andrew Conboy crazy' territory last season, and damn he added discipline, and versatility, while keeping his physicality.

Now, I know you stick to what you believe, not trying to change your mind :thumbu:

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

Oh no, we used a 6rd pick for a center playing at 0.86 pts/g :help:

This is actually a pretty decent pick for the 160th overall pick

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Best case Bitten is another Byron and Pezzetta is another Deslauriers. Though Pez has shown the ability to be a good faceoff man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad