Confirmed with Link: Bill Zito is the Panthers new GM

Are you happy with the hire?

• Total voters

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Wanna know the 1 name I cant figure out still being here, even more than Joyce? Robbie Tallas. Goaltending was an abomination in 2019 and Bobrobsky, while better than Reimer, obviously had a very mediocre year. I also noticed Bob flopping on his belly more as the year progressed.
no one:
tallas: I call this the windmill into starfish into snowman. works 60% of the time. all the time.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Wanna know the 1 name I cant figure out still being here, even more than Joyce? Robbie Tallas. Goaltending was an abomination in 2019 and Bobrobsky, while better than Reimer, obviously had a very mediocre year. I also noticed Bob flopping on his belly more as the year progressed.
I have defended Rob Tallas here before and I will continue to do so.

Goaltending sucked last season, sure, but we also had 4 of the worst ranked defensemen in the league on our blue line playing every single night, so what can we really expect?

Tallas has now survived THREE GM regimes, somehow still holding onto his job. I think he deserves a bit more credit than you think. We haven't really had goaltending problems since he came along up until the last two seasons (when our piss poor defense was a SIGNIFICANT contribution to that), so I don't really see why the blame falls on him.

He's obviously loved by all, he's the longest tenured Panther employee we have I believe. I don't see any issues with him. Our issues were clearly defense/effort/desire to win last year. Did Bob give up some crap goals? Yes, but that's Bob, he does that.

Reimer's first two seasons here he put up a combined .916 save percentage.

I mean Tallas turned Clemmensen into a viable goaltending option. He made Al Montoya a quality goaltender, Vokoun had CAREER YEARS under Tallas and rejuvenated Theodore's career for one last romp. We've all seen the work he's done with Driedger too, not to mention helping Luongo hit his best Save% of his career near the end of his run.

Now, does Tallas deserve credit for all of this? Of course not, players play the games. But he deserves some, definitely enough to give him some leeway when our goaltenders are struggling mainly due to the fact that the defense is literal swiss cheese.

Losing Matheson alone give a .05 boost to save percentage over the course of a season :laugh::laugh:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I have defended Rob Tallas here before and I will continue to do so.

Goaltending sucked last season, sure, but we also had 4 of the worst ranked defensemen in the league on our blue line playing every single night, so what can we really expect?

Tallas has now survived THREE GM regimes, somehow still holding onto his job. I think he deserves a bit more credit than you think. We haven't really had goaltending problems since he came along up until the last two seasons (when our piss poor defense was a SIGNIFICANT contribution to that), so I don't really see why the blame falls on him.

He's obviously loved by all, he's the longest tenured Panther employee we have I believe. I don't see any issues with him. Our issues were clearly defense/effort/desire to win last year. Did Bob give up some crap goals? Yes, but that's Bob, he does that.

Reimer's first two seasons here he put up a combined .916 save percentage.

I mean Tallas turned Clemmensen into a viable goaltending option. He made Al Montoya a quality goaltender, Vokoun had CAREER YEARS under Tallas and rejuvenated Theodore's career for one last romp. We've all seen the work he's done with Driedger too, not to mention helping Luongo hit his best Save% of his career near the end of his run.

Now, does Tallas deserve credit for all of this? Of course not, players play the games. But he deserves some, definitely enough to give him some leeway when our goaltenders are struggling mainly due to the fact that the defense is literal swiss cheese.

Losing Matheson alone give a .05 boost to save percentage over the course of a season :laugh::laugh:
Actually, what was Bob's save percentage with Matheson not playing D or not on ice? Do we know it?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Also if you buy the fake Canadian media, two players on the board: Bob at 50 (don't buy it) and Yandle at 11 Trade Bait: Frozen cap makes ‘franchise-changing’ players available - TSN.ca Apparently Troch is as well. No actual news on Bob though; just speculation

Nashville has 3 centers available: RyJo, Duchene and Bonino. The former two are interesting, but their contracts are problematic.
They do mention that Bob has the most unmovable contract, which sounds about right.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
They do mention that Bob has the most unmovable contract, which sounds about right.
Yep. I also don't see why we would move him to be honest, given the market. It would be super bad optics to get ride of our first top tier UFA signing in team history who has a NMC.

I'm also predicting a rebound next season with the D in place and the system integrated. We forget that Matheson was our #4 D for the start of last season...

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Yep. I also don't see why we would move him to be honest, given the market. It would be super bad optics to get ride of our first top tier UFA signing in team history who has a NMC.

I'm also predicting a rebound next season with the D in place and the system integrated. We forget that Matheson was our #4 D for the start of last season...
It would send the message that Zito wants to build a winner rather than pick up people who are looking to collect a fat check and go golfing. :)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It would send the message that Zito wants to build a winner rather than pick up people who are looking to collect a fat check and go golfing. :)
Nah, I think the reputation cost would be big. (Also are we talking Bob or Yandle haha)

I also don't think Bob's attitude is the problem; every person in the organization has essentially said he was the hardest worker. I think there's a reasonable argument that we need to see what Bob does next year.

Now, Yandle I'm fine with trading: he has been here and served well, but you're right that he shown disinterest.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Nah, I think the reputation cost would be big. (Also are we talking Bob or Yandle haha)

I also don't think Bob's attitude is the problem; every person in the organization has essentially said he was the hardest worker. I think there's a reasonable argument that we need to see what Bob does next year.

Now, Yandle I'm fine with trading: he has been here and served well, but you're right that he shown disinterest.
Yeah, I didn't mean to question Bob's commitment to winning. Just that paying $10M for a goalie is no way to build a winner.

I also like Yandle, so I'm not too desperate about the whole winning thing. But Zito may be.

Reactions: violaswallet

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I dunno, the results aren't there, but the goalies all seem to like him and say good things about him at least publicly. They could just say nothing. Goalie coach is a funny thing though, some are more hands on than others, some goalies need more hands on than others. Many goalies already have their own personal coaches, just like how players have skills coaches now. We don't really know what role Tallas has, is he more of a communicator between the goalies and the coaching staff and the rest of the team? Does he actually introduce new skills or does he just work with the goalie to see what he wants?

There's a lot of variation here so it's hard for us to judge. The guy's been around a long time, including times when we had good goaltending, so he can't be that bad. I'd be fine if they brought in a new guy (or woman, like Cat Silverman), but I wouldn't say it's a key position we need to change.

Luongo said in his retirement ceremony that Tallas really extended his career. So he seems pretty hands on and seems like he works a lot with their technique.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Luongo said in his retirement ceremony that Tallas really extended his career. So he seems pretty hands on and seems like he works a lot with their technique.

yeah but that could mean anything from helping him with improving his maintenance routines to being beside him every day going through those hours of prep Lu had to do. It may not have been a goaltending technique thing, could be many things. Whatever it was, he helped Lu, a future hall of famer. Also, goaltending hasn't been a problem until recently and Tallas has been around for 10 years.

I'm all for hiring somebody new who may be better suited for helping to develop a young goalie like Knight, but I feel like blaming Tallas is too easy.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Also if you buy the fake Canadian media, two players on the board: Bob at 50 (don't buy it) and Yandle at 11 Trade Bait: Frozen cap makes ‘franchise-changing’ players available - TSN.ca Apparently Troch is as well. No actual news on Bob though; just speculation

Nashville has 3 centers available: RyJo, Duchene and Bonino. The former two are interesting, but their contracts are problematic.
RyJo is the laziest pos. Keep him far away from this team. None of Nashville's guys interest me to be honest.

I think Yandle is as good as gone. He's high on the list with literally no chatter anywhere attached to his name. Zito sees what we see in him and I think he wants him off this team.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I meant the guys that we listed.

Ekholm is interesting, but I think he might cost more on paper than he's worth on the ice. He's on the other side of 30 now but if he could be acquired at a decent price he'd be nice to have for the next two years, especially considering that $3.75 M cap hit.

He'd be a perfect stopgap for 2 years and unsure if Poile goes like MIN and loads up on all his defense. They have Josi, Ellis and Fabbro who could be their main 3 D going forward.

I'd definitely kick tires on him.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
RyJo is the laziest pos. Keep him far away from this team.

Zito was CBJ's assistant GM when Johansen was there and mailing it in. I'd imagine there's about 0% chance of seeing him in a Panthers jersey.

Duchene just signed there, can't see him going anywhere. I don't know what the deal with Turris is tbh since I haven't watched him, some fans were saying that he's just getting misused and is decent but who knows. Although he also mailed it in in Arizona to force a trade. Z probably doesn't want any of that.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Zito was CBJ's assistant GM when Johansen was there and mailing it in. I'd imagine there's about 0% chance of seeing him in a Panthers jersey.

Duchene just signed there, can't see him going anywhere. I don't know what the deal with Turris is tbh since I haven't watched him, some fans were saying that he's just getting misused and is decent but who knows. Although he also mailed it in in Arizona to force a trade. Z probably doesn't want any of that.
I think you take a look at Turris later in free agency and see if you can get him on a one year deal. Our center depth sucks. Putting him as a middle six center is worth rolling the dice on.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He'd be a perfect stopgap for 2 years and unsure if Poile goes like MIN and loads up on all his defense. They have Josi, Ellis and Fabbro who could be their main 3 D going forward.

I'd definitely kick tires on him.

Ekholm is really solid and has a great contract. Don't know why Nashville would want to move him. It's not like they need cap space.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The only Nashville center that interests me is Bonino. But I think Zito will go hard after Gourde or Tyler Johnson if he looks externally.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Nashville would have a 2 million cap hit for eight years if they buy Turris out. That's pretty crazy if they're even considering that. Maybe there's some attitude issues etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad