Confirmed with Link: Bill Zito is the Panthers new GM

Are you happy with the hire?

• Total voters

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure if you policy statements are necessarily true, especially on Stillman: By the time Stillman was up, we had enough injuries that we were using him on the first PK at a time when our team was weaker, so it makes sense that his unconditional numbers are worse as the other team's top powerplay is usually better...and I don't think we can make any statements on optimal pairings...

TO see this best, I focus on 12/24/2019-03/12/2020 as the sample period. Weegs was hurt on the 12/23; Stillman was called up on 12/28; Weegar comes back Feb 4th. We see that with both players healthy, Stillman and Weegar have identical usage:

View attachment 367153

Do you have data for Stillman vs Weegar on the penalty kill for different time periods? It looks like Q liked keeping regular pairs, so Stillman and Stralman were relied on a lot...and afterwards looked much better. If I recall correctly, we often played Stillman-Stralman against the top powerplay still in February and well it doesn't make sense to change pairings much...
I don't - and you're right that there's context missing here such as the time periods. Both guys played 80 minutes on the PK so the sample size somewhat is limited too. That said, both Weegar's 5-on-5 chart and his PK chart have him easily as our most successful defender, and the difference between his and Stillman's numbers is so big that I don't think you can blame it solely on the different time periods. At the very least I'd look into giving him more PK minutes. However I might have been too harsh on Stillman here, especially with him being a rookie (although that was part of my reasoning as well; giving the young guy more time to get used to the league before giving him serious PK time). Two things both Stillman and Weegar do is they block shots and they hit - something certain other defenders could learn from them.

Anyway, unless Matheson is the guy we move, we'll have some pretty big holes to fill re: the special teams. We lose Stralman, that's our most used guy on the PK. Moving Yandle creates an even bigger hole on the PP (he played 255 minutes this year; the next closest is Ekblad with 97 and after that, the next highest icetime guy is Matheson with 13 PP minutes).

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I’ll claim that anyone who’s played competitive hockey at any level will say that you play defensively more responsibly if you have a goalie who you think might have trouble. It’s really true for any sport with a goalie, but especially hockey where fluky goals are more the norm than the exception.

How did the team do offensively with the three goalies? That might be a secondary indicator. How about delay of game penalty counts? There might also be a correlation.
Montembeault got easily the best offense (xG/60 2.67). Bob got the worst offence (xG/60 2.42) while Driedger's was only slightly better (xG/60 2.47).
The sample size is obviously tiny but those are the numbers for what it's worth.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't - and you're right that there's context missing here such as the time periods. Both guys played 80 minutes on the PK so the sample size somewhat is limited too. That said, both Weegar's 5-on-5 chart and his PK chart have him easily as our most successful defender, and the difference between his and Stillman's numbers is so big that I don't think you can blame it solely on the different time periods. At the very least I'd look into giving him more PK minutes. However I might have been too harsh on Stillman here, especially with him being a rookie (although that was part of my reasoning as well; giving the young guy more time to get used to the league before giving him serious PK time). Two things both Stillman and Weegar do is they block shots and they hit - something certain other defenders could learn from them.

Anyway, unless Matheson is the guy we move, we'll have some pretty big holes to fill re: the special teams. We lose Stralman, that's our most used guy on the PK. Moving Yandle creates an even bigger hole on the PP (he played 255 minutes this year; the next closest is Ekblad with 97 and after that, the next highest icetime guy is Matheson with 13 PP minutes).
Yeah, so here are the non-advanced stats for the periods
upload_2020-9-12_18-16-37.png

I think the important thing to look at is this: Ek's GA/60 falls by 6 from going to Pysyk/Matheson to Weegar as a pair, which is good evidence of what you're arguing :)

Stillman also falls by about 2 goals/60 which is also big. (I think Ek and Stillman played together a bit at times)....I don't know how to interpret the differences in expected goals against and attributing it to defensemen... On one end, really good defense could lead to low expected goals against, but it might just be luck...

I'm guessing your stat is picking up the Stillman-Ekblad defense pair that played less than 7 minutes together and gave up three goals and then penalizing Stillman because Ekblad's per minute numbers fell...which I don't think is fair.

Edit: Interestingly enough, the unconditional powerplay numbers for Stralman were better with Stillman than not. (Pre Weegar injury, Stralman's GA/60 was 6.5 while Weegar and Ekblad's were around 10...)

Last edited:

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Woke isn’t merit based. Do you object to merit based hiring for the Panthers?
But it's new and hip so it must be more acceptable than hiring people who actually have qualifications to do the job.
If you are talking about Angela Ruggiero, she has merits aplenty. Not as a GM, but in sports analytics and innovation, IOC, and all sorts of other areas. Definitely an interesting prospect for an organization looking to switch things up a bit.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If you are talking about Angela Ruggiero, she has merits aplenty. Not as a GM, but in sports analytics and innovation, IOC, and all sorts of other areas. Definitely an interesting prospect for an organization looking to switch things up a bit.
Yep: experience at a major hedge fund, hockey and spirts administration, Harvard degree

I don’t think she was a serious candidate for the job for the same as Weekes.

To be honest I could see her joining a team’s management sometime

Reactions: Pigge

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Those aren't qualifications for a gm. She has no experience whatsoever working in the nhl or even being around the nhl, let alone working in management in the nhl.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Those aren't qualifications for a gm. She has no experience whatsoever working in the nhl or even being around the nhl, let alone working in management in the nhl.
Agreed. It would be reasonable to do a year as assistant GM first, like Chayka. On the other hand the merits she does have may already include most of the necessary skills. I guess that would be a reason to interview.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Agreed. It would be reasonable to do a year as assistant GM first, like Chayka. On the other hand the merits she does have may already include most of the necessary skills. I guess that would be a reason to interview.

I could see her being hired as an.advisor, but if it was me I'd want her to gain a few years experience before promoting her further.

Reactions: Pigge

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Read a tweet that EDM is looking at Connolly. Kept the team afloat at the beginning of the season but faded when needed most. I'd take a 2nd or 3rd to get his contract off the books.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Read a tweet that EDM is looking at Connolly. Kept the team afloat at the beginning of the season but faded when needed most. I'd take a 2nd or 3rd to get his contract off the books.

Great. Rather underwhelming player, especially in important games. Should fit in nicely with the Oilers.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I would too but I don't think Connolly would equal Nurse in this case. Panthers would have to add.
Connolly is on a pretty fair deal and is someone we will need if we lose Hoff and Dad...

If we can re-sign Hoff or Dady (especially if we need more space), I'd do a trade of Connolly for Pulju and put Pulju on the third line...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He was a .5 ppg player in Washington, and he was a .5 ppg player in Florida. What would have been acceptable?

Meaning that he's not a top6 player. Decent for 3rd line duties but if he's not scoring then he's not doing much out there, like creating plays, checking, special teams player, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad