Friedman: Bill Guerin will listen on everything

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Staal should return a 1st and a decent prospect or maybe two 2nds and a prospect

Zucker should be able to return something good, too... if that's a prospect, picks, or a younger top 9 RW is another question.

Brodin seems like a guy they can move on from, but I figure it will be for a young roster player if its this year. He is worth at least discussing an extension with though so I could see them re-signing him or trading him for picks next year

Dubnyk is another interesting piece... you have to think there would be strong interest in him, even though he hasn't been elite for the last two years. Losing him could allow the team to really bottom out and he would fetch something nice for the rebuild

Would Suter waive his NMC? He should still have value... he's a very solid top pair Dman and his cap hit is reasonable. He should be a very good player for at least 2-3 more years, too...

Keeping Dubnyk might be a more effective way to bottom out

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ah, thats right. I forgot mistakes can't be made on the internet. How silly of me.

Yeah mixing up Fenton and Fletcher, silly mistake, but you’re right that Philadelphia is in trouble with Fenton at the helm.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just rebuild ffs. Minni could really use an elite talent (lafreniere)
Better chance of not picking first overall, than actually getting that spot, when the worst in the league. The lottery is a broken system if the worst team isn't likely picking first.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Yeah mixing up Fenton and Fletcher, silly mistake, but you’re right that Philadelphia is in trouble with Fenton at the helm.

702.jpg

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To MIN:
Goligoski (5.48m-LHS)
Fischer (0.82m-RHS)
Merkley (AHL-RHS)

To ARI:
Zucker (5.50m-LHS)
Seeler (0.72m-LHS)

EDIT: AZ should also add a pick. Maybe a 2nd?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Minnesota is looking for right shooting forwards the Leafs wouldn't be a bad team to have a talk to right now

We've got a ton of them and most of them are young enough that would fit well with a retool

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To MIN:
Goligoski (5.48m-LHS)
Fischer (0.82m-RHS)
Merkley (AHL-RHS)

To ARI:
Zucker (5.50m-LHS)
Seeler (0.72m-LHS)

This does nothing for us.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Staal doesn't get going he might not even get a 1st. His relatively small cap hit and contract status does make him easy to move. Kind of sucks for him, because he only signed that deal because he wanted to stay in Minneapolis, and probably had a handshake deal with Fenton that he wouldn't be traded.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Got my F names mixed up haha. Either way, my point still stands.

They were both equally as bad at the job tho.
Not sure how one guy who takes the team from nothing, with bare prospect cupboards to 6 consecutive playoff appearances, two series wins is equal to the guy who followed him and gutted the franchise in a single offseason and then got fired.

But hey, if they're equal to you, you go with that.

IMO, Fletcher was a very good GM that just couldn't manage that final hurdle to get a serious cup run.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Keeping Dubnyk might be a more effective way to bottom out

I know he's been bad this year, and inconsistent over the last few, but surely he's above replacement level, no? My team has Craig Anderson and Anders Nilsson rotating, so my barometer is low but still... has he really been that bad?

rt

May 13, 2004
This does nothing for us.
Fischer is young, is a bull, has SOME offensive upside and is a RHS. He can play right now and might do more with an expanded role.

Merkley is young, is a RHS, and has showed a lot of offensive upside but also missed a lot of time with injury. Could be NHL ready soon.

Goligoski is an upgrade on Seeler and can play RD regularly. He could be a good trade chip at the deadline. Or a decent warm body to hang around if you deal some other D with higher value later.

Arizona should add a pick, though. Maybe a 2nd?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know he's been bad this year, and inconsistent over the last few, but surely he's above replacement level, no? My team has Craig Anderson and Anders Nilsson rotating, so my barometer is low but still... has he really been that bad?
I strongly suspect that the only thing keeping Dubnyk looking like a replacement-level goaltender is the Wild blueline. He's not the worst goalie in the league or anything, but he's been more hindrance than help for at least a year now.

rt

May 13, 2004
This seems like it'd just make things worse.
It would. In the short term. That’s kind of the point, right? Get younger and acquire future assets?

The offset of Seeler for Goligoski probably takes some of the sting off of Zucker for Fischer for the short-term.

Fischer and Merkley are young and have some upside. A 2nd round pick is decent value in a Zucker deal, I think. I don’t see him returning a 1st rounder. So in some respects, it’s about how much more than a 2nd you can get. Fischer, Merkley, and Goligoski strikes me as a good bit more.

Maybe I’m underrating Seeler? I’m not looking at him as a valuable trade chip. Is that the issue?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fiala is 23, that's not the type of player they should be looking to trade imo, they need to get younger not swap young guy for young guy
Unless they think he's not as good as his skills say he should be... which might be the case. All the skill in the world, yet makes some of the worst choices imaginable. The underlying numbers show him as the worst offensive player on a terrible offensive team. Sorry, but I've seen players with good offense make poor decisions before, but he shows zero evidence that his poor decisions are for the sake or attempt at benefiting offense in any way.

He's not turning pucks over in attempts at making great plays, he's turning pucks over after clearly hanging onto it for too long, getting pinned by the defense and just coughing it up.

He's a good passer without much vision to go with it. He's a very good skater without much sense on where he should be skating to, he's a good shooter that isn't shooting enough.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Statistically, Dubnyk is not above replacement level. Looking at the eye test, Dubnyk is not above replacement level.

It would. In the short term. That’s kind of the point, right? Get younger and acquire future assets?

The offset of Seeler for Goligoski probably takes some of the sting off of Zucker for Fischer for the short-term.

Fischer and Merkley are young and have some upside. A 2nd round pick is decent value in a Zucker deal, I think. I don’t see him returning a 1st rounder. So in some respects, it’s about how much more than a 2nd you can get. Fischer, Merkley, and Goligoski strikes me as a good bit more.

Maybe I’m underrating Seeler? I’m not looking at him as a valuable trade chip. Is that the issue?

I know what the players are. It still does nothing for us. You’re not underrating Seeler. The deal just doesn’t help.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It would. In the short term. That’s kind of the point, right? Get younger and acquire future assets? The offset of Seeler for Goligoski probably takes some of the sting off of Zucker for Fischer for the short-term. Fischer and Merkley are young and have some upside. A 2nd round pick is decent value in a Zucker deal, I think. I don’t see him returning a 1st rounder So in some respects, it’s about how much more than a 2nd you can get. Fischer, Merkley, and Goligoski strikes me as a good bit more.

At this point Minnesota has a group of about 5 forwards the same age as Fischer: Fiala, Greenway, Kunin, Donato and Eriksson-Ek. Turning Zucker into another one with the same questionable upside doesn't really get us anywhere, regardless of handedness.

Things are crowded enough that eventually we're going to have to move out a winger or two to make room for Kaprizov next year, and I could see Zucker being the odd man out if he can net a 1st round pick. Flipping him for another roster winger makes little sense, though.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Statistically, Dubnyk is not above replacement level. Looking at the eye test, Dubnyk is not above replacement level.

I know what the players are. It still does nothing for us. You’re not underrating Seeler. The deal just doesn’t help.

Fair enough!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad