Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah well, that bit on Letang disqualifies the rumor and the opinion. Pittsburgh won't trade their core players, that's widely believed to be Ron Hextall's evaluation and position. Hughes being in bed with Saputo also doesn't look too easy to maneuver around.

Letang is UFA at the end of the current season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So sorry that happened to you. You're no dummy, could have happened to anyone.

It pays to know some good bodywork people and to nurture those relationships wherever you live. I once struck up a convo with these two very shy but nice individuals who had just emigrated to Canada at the time from the Mauritius Islands. I decided to strike up a conversation with them and they liked that I noticed them and took the time to say hi. Every time I went to that shop after that, I always saluted them and exchanged pleasantries.

Fast forward 15 or so years from the point, the owner of the body shop retires. Guess who's been running that business? I have had the best prices and fastest service and they always take my calls. Some people just don't forget. I didn't do it for that reason, I just try and be nice to people. But, long story short, a bodywork expert is so essential when you own a car -- saves from making a lot of insurance claims over the years and gets you stuff done in a trustworthy and economical manner. Happy hunting.

I should have stopped the car and checked to see how hard the bank was but I was like... it can't be that bad. lol. I've been online searching for a 2nd hand bumper I can paint. Hopefully I can minimize the repair cost to $1000 or under that way. Fun times.

Got a few contacts I'm looking into. It's all duct taped together at the moment. Grey duct tape looks awesome on a red car! :laugh:. Probably going to JB weld it once the temperature gets better so it buys me time to get that part.

Anyways... Have we hired our new GM yet? We like to think this happens this week but lets not hold our breath on that. Oh, I got extra duct tape for the fans who think this is a puppet GM to? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He shouldn't care what the name is. And he says "if there are a few in the gang that are called Smith". Why should the team be majoritarily francophone players? What does that even matter in hockey?
This guy should be nowhere near management, it would just cause the same problems we've had with Bergevin.

See Drouin.

He also doesn't say he wants the majority to be francophones. You are getting stuck on bits of sentence and missing the forest for the trees.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He shouldn't care what the name is. And he says "if there are a few". Why should the team be majoritarily francophone players? What does that even matter in hockey?

The two bolded sentences makes no sense next to another if you're trying to successfully prove a point. I mean, you're obviously trying to prove a point, it's just the "successfully" part that's really doubtful.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
He also doesn't say he wants the majority to be francophones. You are getting stuck on bits of sentence and missing the forest for the trees.
How do you interpret his need to add the "it's not bad if a few of them are name..." then? He's not speaking in the past tense he's speaking in the present. And for a guy who's "French" is applauded, I doubt this is a mistake.
We don't need anyone in any position of decision making on the team that puts Language, name, place of birth, ahead of anything else for hockey.

The two bolded sentences makes no sense next to another if you're trying to successfully prove a point. I mean, you're obviously trying to prove a point, it's just the "successfully" part that's really doubtful.
Because you can't put the replies in context that's your problem. The "few" part refers to "people called Smith".

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Please elaborate. I always find him to be smart and measured in his comments, what am I missing?
i think that it's not you that is missing something about Denis. As you say, he's very smart and measured in his comment. The guy 's a very high IQ .

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He shouldn't care what the name is. And he says "if there are a few in the gang that are called Smith". Why should the team be majoritarily francophone players? What does that even matter in hockey?
This guy should be nowhere near management, it would just cause the same problems we've had with Bergevin.

See Drouin.

You poor soul. Do you speak french? He's obviously framing it in a way to diminish the media talk against the team not having had a french player on that roster for one game.

Reactions: Samhockey3

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's plenty wrong about saying "you, know, sometimes, it's not wrong if there's a few in the Gang called 'Smith'".

There's the "On Jase" video at the bottom titled "Pas de Québécois, une 1re en 100 ans". Try another browser, maybe one of your extensions is blocking it or something.

Found it by simply putting the words in quotations in my browser.

I do now remember the franco media onslaught when that lineup situation occurred. A lot of opportunists jumped on that bandwagon to score political points and drive a wedge between franco and anglo communities as if the lineups so constructed had been intended.

Denis is right on an historical basis and should have left it at that. However, he chose to frame it as "c'pas grave si y'en a quelques uns dans gang qui s'appellent Smith", which is unnecessarily condescending and which leads to the disturbing and highly contentious conclusion that the team should only feature a few non-franco players.

In English, his words: "it doesn't matter if some of those among the group of players on the team are named Smith." I don't think there is a way to defend that. I think he should have retracted. He tried to backpedal it by saying that he didn't have the talking points handy about it and that he'd do more research.

Be on TV long enough and something stupid will come out. I'm downcast that he just didn't avoid the leading and very loaded question he was served by that jokester bozo host with no judgment who was clearly trafficking in controversy in order to make a name for himself other than for being a clown playing jokes on his Hors Jeu segment.

Fact remains that Denis has been on the air long enough to know better but he still chose to throw himself into those troubled waters with an uncharacteristically highly controversial take couched in divisive and condescending language.

Marc, it's pro sports, not a national team. Respect tradition but in the end you win with the best regardless of language and ethnic origin. You can certainly win with representation from both locals and non-locals as it's been proven throughout the Habs' history. There is no need to marginalize one ethnic group to favor another when local players will always be an integral part of the Habs anyhow.

Thanks for sharing. I'm disappointed.

Reactions: expy

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I do now remember the franco media onslaught when that lineup situation occurred. A lot of opportunists jumped on that bandwagon to score political points and drive a wedge between franco and anglo communities as if the lineups so constructed had been intended.

Denis is right on an historical basis and should have left it at that. However, he chose to frame it as "c'pas grave si y'en a quelques uns dans gang qui s'appellent Smith", which is unnecessarily condescending and which leads to the disturbing and highly contentious conclusion that the team should only feature a few non-franco players.

In English, his words: "it doesn't matter if some of those among the group of players on the team are named Smith." I don't think there is a way to defend that. I think he should have retracted. He tried to backpedal it by saying that he didn't have the talking points handy about it and that he'd do more research.

Be on TV long enough and something stupid will come out. I'm disappointed that he just didn't avoid the leading and very loaded question he was served by that jokester bozo host with no judgment who was clearly trafficking in controversy in order to make a name for himself other than for being a clown playing jokes on his Hors Jeu segment.

Fact remains that Denis has been on the air long enough to know better but he still chose to throw himself into those troubled waters with an uncharacteristically highly controversial take couched in divisive and condescending language.

Marc, it's pro sports, not a national team. Respect tradition but in the end you win with the best regardless of language and ethnic origin. You can certainly win with representation from both locals and non-locals as it's been proven throughout the Habs' history. There is no need to marginalize one ethnic group to favor another when local players will always be an integral part of the Habs anyhow.

:headache:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Be on TV long enough and something stupid will come out. I'm downcast that he just didn't avoid the leading and very loaded question he was served by that jokester bozo host with no judgment who was clearly trafficking in controversy in order to make a name for himself other than for being a clown playing jokes on his Hors Jeu segment.

I think you're definitely over-interpreting that comment. It's a nothing burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad