Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Based on the fact that he has zero experience on managing a hockey team .
I hope we get someone who has at least some experience in the field. Any spoken language is ok by me.

As I said above, he has like more than a decade of negotiating contracts, scouting players and prospects, talking with GMs, managing people, etc. Seems to complement Gorton hockey ops background well. (Darche has only two years as an AGM and was hired there with no experience)

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Good points about Hughes. I was initially sceptical about him or any agent being picked as the GM because negotiating contracts (the most important thing that agents do) is only one of the functions of a GM, but as you say it also includes talking to GM’s and scouting talent. No doubt a huge part about contract negotiation is also about comparing a player with others around the league in terms of contracts, and that can translate to making trades too (at least those that involve current players). I was also glad to see that Hughes not only played college hockey, but was also really good at that level (leading scorer plus team captain = being a leader on ice and in dressing room), so he likely has a good understanding of the game on the ice itself and off. Hughes also comes from a hockey family, which helps in terms of understanding hockey culture from different experiences.

Given that Gorton knows Hughes, I can see why he may have been a front-runner all along. So not that my opinion matters, but I would be fine with Hughes as GM, and if Briere would accept an AGM role then that would be even better.

Yes, exactly and the college hockey part is important imo. I strongly feel that Gorton will handle most of the hockey stuff and discuss with the entire team, while Hughes will handle the business aspects given his acumen. Seems like a good combo and hope they bring Brière for AGM/Laval GM and Player Development.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marc-André Perreault says that Mathieu Darche, Daniel Brière and Kent Hughes are all still in the race, plus another candidate that might surprise people.

I reiterate here that I think Marc Denis gets the call. Let's see.

I saw that Vincent Lecavalier's brother might be involved in some capacity. He works at the same firm as Hughes and they are very close. All speculation, of course.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, exactly and the college hockey part is important imo. I strongly feel that Gorton will handle most of the hockey stuff and discuss with the entire team, while Hughes will handle the business aspects given his acumen. Seems like a good combo and hope they bring Brière for AGM/Laval GM and Player Development.

Reminds me of an story about when I drove around Italy a several years ago. Every day, I was hunting down new locations. Had no GPS at the time, so itineraries were scribbles on a napkin and sometimes, I just went off track as the roads are sinewy and poorly designated.

The whole time I was there, I asked the guy who lent me the car, if he could spare a day for a trip but he was never available. But he did tell me this: "It doesn't matter if you don't get to the place that you have in mind. Odds are that the mistaken place you end up in, is even nicer than the one you intended to be at." And he wasn't wrong.

And so it is for this management contingent. It doesn't matter if the guy we like doesn't get it, the other candidates offer something of interest that may make them just as appealing if not more.

My circuitous anecdote for the day. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
But the official VP Comm Maccabbee confirmed there were 3 left.
Although , we dont know who the 3 are. I think the “surprise” element comes from who will get a job in other positions, AGM, development, analytics, lots of jobs are open and some still need to be created.
Im going to call it and say it’s Hughes as GM with Denis and Castonguay as AGM.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have an inkling Denis will be AGM. Not sure what area he'd be entrusted with.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Why? Be specific.
I just feel Denis and others may put an increase focus on Francophone players etc to the detriment of the club being that they are inexperienced and will have a harder time navigating those pressures whereas I feel Hughes will be able to deal with those distractions easier. It's just a hunch.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hopefully not, we don't need his kind of thinking on the team.

I'm not sure what kind of thinking he'd bring that might be considered undesirable. I don't know what his views are on an organizational level. He just comes across as a bright guy and as AGM, he'd be in a supporting capacity, he'd not be the ultimate decision-maker evidently.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Marc-André Perreault says that Mathieu Darche, Daniel Brière and Kent Hughes are all still in the race, plus another candidate that might surprise people.

I reiterate here that I think Marc Denis gets the call. Let's see.
That won't surprise anyone, Denis is out of the race.

Reactions: Runner77

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I'm not sure what kind of thinking he'd bring that might be considered undesirable. I don't know what his views are on an organizational level. He just comes across as a bright guy and as AGM, he'd be in a supporting capacity, he'd not be the ultimate decision-maker evidently.
His views on what kind of players we need and where they should be from.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just feel Denis and others may put an increase focus on Francophone players etc to the detriment of the club being that they are inexperienced and will have a harder time navigating those pressures whereas I feel Hughes will be able to deal with those distractions easier. It's just a hunch.

And this hunch is based on...?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His views on what kind of players we need and where they should be from.

I missed that. Do we have a link? Or is it something he might have said during a broadcast?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You seriously needs to read the thread again then. Darche has been trashed A LOT - whether that trashing is warranted or not.

Full Disclosure : I don't want Darche
Just opinions.....easy does it..................relax it's a message board.
I think most of the candidates being discussed have merit.....

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just opinions.....easy does it..................relax it's a message board.
I think most of the candidates being discussed have merit.....

Darche not having been trashed in this thread isn't an opinion. It's a counterfact.
And that's coming from someone who thinks Darche is the worse candidate (and THAT is an opinion).

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Elliot Friedman on his podcast today said he believes its this week the announcement and that they are waiting to hear if Hughes wants it or not to make a final decision.

Things he said:
Hughes brother was a first round pick of the Nordiques. He is known as a bulldog, gets what he wants. When asked why would Hughes want this job when he makes tens of millions .. Elliot said - Its the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, period, he is one of the top agents in the sport and has a strong reputation as a bulldog, you think this scares him. BTW Elliot said you can report he said Letang to Montreal is a done deal if Hughes is in Montreal.

Quartexx is owned by Saputo. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad