Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Purely my gut, and the fact Denis has said similar things out loud before.

Which is based on?
What are these, and you could point us to them? Because I clearly remember some users falsely trying to draw attention to something Marc Denis didn't say, and to their interpretation of it.

I don't know why they did that. Probably because they care more about where players come from than they'd like to admit. More than anyone does in fact.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Elliot Friedman on his podcast today said he believes its this week the announcement and that they are waiting to hear if Hughes wants it or not to make a final decision.

Things he said:
Hughes brother was a first round pick of the Nordiques. He is known as a bulldog, gets what he wants. When asked why would Hughes want this job when he makes tens of millions .. Elliot said - Its the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, period, he is one of the top agents in the sport and has a strong reputation as a bulldog, you think this scares him. BTW Elliot said you can report he said Letang to Montreal is a done deal if Hughes is in Montreal.

Quartexx is owned by Saputo. Very interesting.

I don't know if I heard wrong on the radio this morning, but didn't Gorton already try to get Hughes to join NYR management? There is some kind of tango going on between these two. :sarcasm:

Reactions: iamtalbot

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I don't know if I heard wrong on the radio this morning, but didn't Gorton already try to get Hughes to join NYR management? There is some kind of tango going on between these two. :sarcasm:

Yeah I have heard the same. Elliot said Hughes wouldn't even consider it for any other team but no matter the standings, its still the Montreal Canadiens. Elliot said he doesn't know for certain but he suspects it will be very very difficult for Hughes to free himself from Quartexx as it is believed he is a part owner with Saputo family, but that its the Montreal Canadiens.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Send me a DM so I can reply to you about the link.

They deleted it last time I posted it because it riled up people. /shrug

DM me. It's an official RDS article/video.

If we can't use it in here, it'll be of no use to me. Would suck to sit on stuff I can't share. I'd rather not have it, I'd get too invested.

I'll respectfully pass on it. But do respect that you have your reasons for concluding as you do.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Elliot Friedman on his podcast today said he believes its this week the announcement and that they are waiting to hear if Hughes wants it or not to make a final decision.

Things he said:
Hughes brother was a first round pick of the Nordiques. He is known as a bulldog, gets what he wants. When asked why would Hughes want this job when he makes tens of millions .. Elliot said - Its the General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens, period, he is one of the top agents in the sport and has a strong reputation as a bulldog, you think this scares him. BTW Elliot said you can report he said Letang to Montreal is a done deal if Hughes is in Montreal.

Why do we want Letang at this point though?

expy

Nov 2, 2010

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Carey Price beat the Leafs....not our grit.
Bergevin spent years, choosing muckers and grinders....people are just thinking out loud that Darche may do the same....
Relax.
The Habs beat the Leafs, not only Price. Your deny of the reality is obvious each time you try to convince us that the other players were only shadows. Habs won because the physical game they played against Mattiews, Nylander, Marner. They were afraid , were playing scared of any contact. Everybody said that Bergevin builed his team for the playoffs and that's why they went that far . Not only because of Price.

Reactions: RandR

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good on you to call it. I don't often see eye to eye with you but I respect a solid opinion when I see one.

This site's membership reflects society at large, with its openness and biases. But, the vast majority have their hearts in the right place. They're fans of the team first and foremost and only care about winning.

I think the fans are the big winners this time out. The process is thorough and we'll likely see a paradigm shift toward better educated, smarter, more articulate and likely a more diversified management contingent.

If we agree, it's the truth! :)

Lets hope those people come around cause this new management structure is what we have been asking for a while now. It might have taken Molson a while to come around but it's set up well. Lets hope we are in good hands with that "team" style management where it's not just one face of management anymore.

Noticed you lost power over the weekend? That sucks. I did too but I got a wood stove. Keeping your gas tank filled helps! My bad news is I tried to play hero and drive over a snow bank into the parking lot for OT work yesterday and cracked my front bumper. That's a $1000-$2000 bill. I'm a big dummy! :facepalm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why do we want Letang at this point though?

Letang would be a super interesting player to acquire, especially if Petry is gone, or if we coulde trade Petry.
As long as he understands he's coming here for his last deal, and not to win the Cup. To act as a mentor of sorts. And that his role may diminish over time.
You don't want to give too many minutes to players who aren't ready, and Letang can handle tough minutes and many of them.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
There's nothing wrong with anything he said.
There's plenty wrong about saying "you, know, sometimes, it's not wrong if there's a few in the Gang called 'Smith'".

That page only has a Bouchard clip, no other videos at the bottom.
There's the "On Jase" video at the bottom titled "Pas de Québécois, une 1re en 100 ans". Try another browser, maybe one of your extensions is blocking it or something.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There's plenty wrong about saying "you, know, sometimes, it's not wrong if there's a few in the Gang called 'Smith'".
There's the "On Jase" video at the bottom titled "Pas de Québécois, une 1re en 100 ans". Try another browser, maybe one of your extensions is blocking it or something.

Yes, what's wrong with that?

He's saying he wants francophone players, but the club doesn't need to be all francophones.

You are misinterpreting what is being said.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Things he said:

Yeah well, that bit on Letang disqualifies the rumor and the opinion. Pittsburgh won't trade their core players, that's widely believed to be Ron Hextall's evaluation and position. Hughes being in bed with Saputo also doesn't look too easy to maneuver around.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we agree, it's the truth! :)

Lets hope those people come around cause this new management structure is what we have been asking for a while now. It might have taken Molson a while to come around but it's set up well. Lets hope we are in good hands with that "team" style management where it's not just one face of management anymore.

Noticed you lost power over the weekend? That sucks. I did too but I got a wood stove. Keeping your gas tank filled helps! My bad news is I tried to play hero and drive over a snow bank into the parking lot for OT work yesterday and cracked my front bumper. That's a $1000-$2000 bill. I'm a big dummy! :facepalm:

So sorry that happened to you. You're no dummy, could have happened to anyone.

It pays to know some good bodywork people and to nurture those relationships wherever you live. I once struck up a convo with these two very shy but nice individuals who had just emigrated to Canada at the time from the Mauritius Islands. I decided to strike up a conversation with them and they liked that I noticed them and took the time to say hi. Every time I went to that shop after that, I always saluted them and exchanged pleasantries.

Fast forward 15 or so years from the point, the owner of the body shop retires. Guess who's been running that business? I have had the best prices and fastest service and they always take my calls. Some people just don't forget. I didn't do it for that reason, I just try and be nice to people. But, long story short, a bodywork expert is so essential when you own a car -- saves from making a lot of insurance claims over the years and gets you stuff done in a trustworthy and economical manner. Happy hunting.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Yeah well, that bit on Letang disqualifies the rumor and the opinion. Pittsburgh won't trade their core players, that's widely believed to be Ron Hextall's evaluation and position. Hughes being in bed with Saputo also doesn't look to easy too maneuver around.

Letang is a free agent.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Yeah I have heard the same. Elliot said Hughes wouldn't even consider it for any other team but no matter the standings, its still the Montreal Canadiens. Elliot said he doesn't know for certain but he suspects it will be very very difficult for Hughes to free himself from Quartexx as it is believed he is a part owner with Saputo family, but that its the Montreal Canadiens.

For Kent Hughes, maybe there's an impact/window in the fact that his biggest clients (Letang and Bergeron) are due to sign at the end of 2021-2022 and it is likely their last big contracts.

Also, we should consider that he earn about 2.5-3M a year being an agent, with the current contracts he signed, that is still significantly less than the 5+M/yr a Habs GM can earn.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Yes, what's wrong with that?

He's saying he wants francophone players, but the club doesn't need to be all francophones.

You are misinterpreting what is being said.
He shouldn't care what the name is. And he says "if there are a few in the gang that are called Smith". Why should the team be majoritarily francophone players? What does that even matter in hockey?
This guy should be nowhere near management, it would just cause the same problems we've had with Bergevin.

See Drouin.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: