Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
It's plausible.

Gorton said he wants someone to compliment what he brings. Gorton has discussed in the past how he doesn't particularly enjoy the non hockey related tasks. By that, I mean the marketing side of things. Based on that, I don't think he particularly enjoys the contract aspect of things. He enjoys evaluating talent, and hockey related tasks.

Sedgwick as the contract guy could be a good fit for Gorton.

He doesn’t need the GM title to continue what he’s doing for the Habs. He won’t be the GM. Still think it’ll be Briere or Luongo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Even then, Sedgwick could have disagreed with a number of moves, but if the GM decides to go forward on a player, he's still going to have to do his job. Like, what the hell?

If Sedgwick disagreed with anything and it was something on which he had a say or it was something under his purview, ownership would conceivably have become apprised of it given that Geoff was involved as a senior executive.

In some other instances, there might have been minutes of meetings recording his stance.

Regardless, it was all behind closed doors. We’ll never know.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Sedgwick is very close to Molson. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong having employees being part of an interview process. It’s exactly what any company thrives for.
In Sedgwick’s case, it is a good ahowcase for him and it probably indicates that he wants more than just being the number cruncher. He’s very able at that, BTW.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sedgwick has been pretty much the Habs' capologist. He has extensive knowledge of the CBA.

His title is VP of Hockey Ops and Legal Affairs.

He also works closely with Laval and Trois-Rivières as he helped set those affiliations up.

My guess is he will stick around because he wasn't an MB hire. He worked with the league before so it is probably a Geoff Molson hire.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sedgwick has been pretty much the Habs' capologist. He has extensive knowledge of the CBA.

His title is VP of Hockey Ops and Legal Affairs.

He also works closely with Laval and Trois-Rivières as he helped set those affiliations up.

My guess is he will stick around because he wasn't an MB hire. He worked with the league before so it is probably a Geoff Molson hire.

Sedgwick helped develop the NHL salary cap system and was poached from league offices by MB as one of his first moves.

Dude is one of the founding fathers of the NHL salary cap, of course he’s going to stick around..

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Sedgwick helped develop the NHL salary cap system and was poached from league offices by MB as one of his first moves.

Dude is one of the founding fathers of the NHL salary cap, of course he’s going to stick around..
That can't be true, MB only hires his buddies! :sarcasm:

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I totally see where you're coming from. As soon as MB hired MT,JJD and SL while saying no to LR....
I HATED HIM.
Right from that point,I truly believed that he was going to ruin this team.

But here's the thing. I feel that an intelligent person in the Habs management would play dumb. MAYBE, just once they would suggest an intelligent decision but that's it.
Why?
Because of MB's ego and his great insecurity.
I strongly get the impression that MB HATED anyone working for him that was Intelligent.
He only wanted friends around him.
More importantly..... friends that were fools and yes men.
Just look at that analytics guy he hired then fired.
I forget his name .... but when he said that Weber was the wrong guy to trade for Subban.

He was fired.
So..... maybe there are some smart hickey minds in this organization.
All I know is this:
If I were a part of the CH management while MB was in charge. I woulda kept my mouth shut and played stupid.
Cause, I feel that if I disagreed or tried to make intelligent decisions. MB would have fired me ASAP.

Well, there is a lot I hated during MB era, but TBH, I don't think not-renewing Matt Pfeffer (The analytics guy you talk about) was that bad.

After the Weber trade, he did not only say that it was a bad trade, he also said that Weber was an average player. I am sorry, but if your model says that Weber was an average player in 2016, and you do not question said model, than I am not sure I trust your opinion.

Oh and BTW, I was not in favour of the Weber trade, but their were many ways to oppose to that trade without saying that Weber was an average player (Which he definitly was not at the moment of the trade)

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He doesn’t need the GM title to continue what he’s doing for the Habs. He won’t be the GM. Still think it’ll be Briere or Luongo.

Nobody "needs" the title. It's up to him where he chooses his career to go if the habs present him with an offer. The role can broaden his skillset in ways that could open up other areas of interest for him.

Only he can answer that, but from the perspective of the organization and Jeff Gorton, it could be a pretty good fit.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
lol... Credibility -999999 after saying shit like that.

Not at all...

Many great talents adjusted their games to do just that in order to go from superstar to winner.

While the highlight reel goals are great, If McD wants cups, he probably does need to do more to make the players around him better, be it on ice or in the background.

Yzerman is a perfect example of just that...

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019

mom & pop shop

Because we’ve gone done that road and those other roads time and time again resulting in the exact same spot or worse. Keep all those older guys away, the game has changed since then and they haven’t adjusted nor will they

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Because we’ve gone done that road and those other roads time and time again resulting in the exact same spot or worse. Keep all those older guys away, the game has changed since then and they haven’t adjusted nor will they

One of the criticisms of Carbo the coach was that he wasn't willing to put the time in that other NHL coaches do to make the team better or even himself better. He punched out on the time clock as soon as he could and never put in any extra miles. Not a great quality for a GM.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well, there is a lot I hated during MB era, but TBH, I don't think not-renewing Matt Pfeffer (The analytics guy you talk about) was that bad.

After the Weber trade, he did not only say that it was a bad trade, he also said that Weber was an average player. I am sorry, but if your model says that Weber was an average player in 2016, and you do not question said model, than I am not sure I trust your opinion.

Oh and BTW, I was not in favour of the Weber trade, but their were many ways to oppose to that trade without saying that Weber was an average player (Which he definitly was not at the moment of the trade)
Exactly ! If someone try to convince me that Weber was an average top 4 in 2016, I’m surly firing that guy for incompetence and I don’t want that guy near my team again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sedgwick is very close to Molson. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong having employees being part of an interview process. It’s exactly what any company thrives for.
In Sedgwick’s case, it is a good ahowcase for him and it probably indicates that he wants more than just being the number cruncher. He’s very able at that, BTW.

Of all the candidates, Sedgwick is the only one who regardless of the outcome of the GM interview process, will continue to be working alongside Gorton.

Now, how awkward would it be if Sedgwick did not get green lighted as GM, knowing that Gorton has the final say on who gets chosen?

Sedgwick’s decision to throw his hat into the ring puts Gorton in an awkward position while at the same time constituting a brilliant move from a purely subjective POV — he’s bound to come out of this with something that he doesn’t have now, whatever that might be.

He’s currently VP of Hockey OPs and Legal affairs: Hockey Operations

I guess he could end up as AGM and whatever other responsibilities and perks come with that position.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gainey had more miles as a GM but that doesn't mean he was more competent. He won a Cup but during the no cap era, working for a top 3 richest teams. We still pay for what he did during his tenure. All those players lost for absolutly nothing ...
Good point, but if you remember, with Gainey we were always in the playoffs, or in the hunt, and to sell off a vet who was becoming a ufa would have been hard to do.....thinking the Souray one for sure...

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Of all the candidates, Sedgwick is the only one who regardless of the outcome of the GM interview process, will continue to be working alongside Gorton.

Now, how awkward would it be if Sedgwick did not get green lighted as GM, knowing that Gorton has the final say on who gets chosen?

Sedgwick’s decision to throw his hat into the ring puts Gorton in an awkward position while at the same time constituting a brilliant move from a purely subjective POV — he’s bound to come out of this with something that he doesn’t have now, whatever that might be.

I guess he could come out of this as AGM and whatever other responsibilities and perks come with that position.
Could Sedgwick, be a dark horse? Or are they simply doing him a favor by interviewing an internal candidate?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

I guess he could end up as AGM and whatever other responsibilities and perks come with that position.
Means that the guy wants more, just like Brisebois before him. I suspect he will leave.

Reactions: 50in07 and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could Sedgwick, be a dark horse? Or are they simply doing him a favor by interviewing an internal candidate?

That’s an interesting question since he’s not been a public figure like the other candidates, he’s more of a behind the scenes guy but who acts upon critical administrative matters.

I doubt that they asked him to interview given the awkwardness of not appointing him. I’d be guessing that he must have asked for it. He’s sitting on a 3-year contract he signed last June, his job description makes him indispensable and him getting interviewed puts Gorton on the spot if he doesn’t end up hiring him as GM or AGM.

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad