Biggest Rival?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I would agree with this. The Ranger fans wouldn't consider us rivals per se, but many hate us more than their rivals. I have read a ton of this sentiment directed toward Devils fans...."You are our rivals, but I actually respect your organization, unlike the Pen's. I have NO respect for them." And that lack of respect is evident from the above mentioned NY media and their coach. The Isles, I think they pity them a bit, but I think they still hate the Isles, but it is as strong, perhaps (I could be wrong) since the Isles have had no success for such a long stretch.

They are like "old money" who see us a successful "welfare recipients" who don't work and just so happen to be living in a penthouse, sipping champagne and burning $100 bills, and waiting for the next check from Uncle Gary. While they are the honest hard working blokes who are slaving away and slowly building their nice digs. LOTTA, LOTTA, (can add about 100 more those) resentment from those guys. A lot of fan bases feel that way, but the Rangers more so than others, as they are in our division. And they used to be able to buy players. Now they can't, as many see the previous lockout and CBA changes directing mainly at a team like Pittsburgh. Negating the big market money advantage and gifting us (as Sour shoes points out) generational talent.

I get this vibe from them that's like "we're New York, damnit! Broadway! Bright lights!" As if just by the virtue of being the New York City team, they should have all the attention, adulation and whatever else their hearts desire. When the Pens get the media attention and get players like Crosby and Malkin, it just kills them, because they feel that they should have all of those things.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
As one of the older members here (in age, not board seniority) I have been privileged to many things that may lend some credibility to the fact the Flyers are, and always were number one with a bullet on the list of teams Pens fans hate.

I don't mean "hate" in the sense that I "hate" when I hit my thumb with a hammer, or I 'hate" Monday's, I'm talking a hatred which nearly defies logic (and does at time). In fact, most of the time it does defy logic and consumes us. I remember jumping out of my chair when Patrick Kane scored that goal. I remember thinking how much that must have hurt, and wished it hurt more.

This isn't a rivalry like the Steelers/Browns back in the day. Steeler fans were actually sad when the Browns closed up shop as they lost their biggest rival. Had the same fate come to the Philly, trust me, Pens fans would have had no sorrow for them. Pens fans would offer to drive the U-Haul's.

Throughout the years each team has had times of irrelevance and during those times it may have appeared the rivalry cooled off, but it was just the fans of either team knowing when to be quiet.

Usher in the internet age and fans having access to each other behind the safety of their keyboards along with the fact that both teams have reason to believe they are the best in the conference and you have what we have today. Hatred, the way it should be.

As I've grown older in life and learned to mature (whether I want to or not) I still hate the Flyers and their fans with an all consuming fire. I don't want that to change. I want to hate them. I do hate them.

If the Caps win the Cup it would suck, but I would get over it in a day. If the Rangers win the Cup (and they might this year) I probably won't care much. If the Flyers win the Cup I will be on suicide watch for months, people will have to come check on me and I certainly wouldn't want to be my neighbor's dog who won't stay out of my yard. Bad things could happen, bad things.

I hate you Flyers, and I want bad things to happen to you.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
As one of the older members here (in age, not board seniority) I have been privileged to many things that may lend some credibility to the fact the Flyers are, and always were number one with a bullet on the list of teams Pens fans hate.

I don't mean "hate" in the sense that I "hate" when I hit my thumb with a hammer, or I 'hate" Monday's, I'm talking a hatred which nearly defies logic (and does at time). In fact, most of the time it does defy logic and consumes us. I remember jumping out of my chair when Patrick Kane scored that goal. I remember thinking how much that must have hurt, and wished it hurt more.

This isn't a rivalry like the Steelers/Browns back in the day. Steeler fans were actually sad when the Browns closed up shop as they lost their biggest rival. Had the same fate come to the Philly, trust me, Pens fans would have had no sorrow for them. Pens fans would offer to drive the U-Haul's.

Throughout the years each team has had times of irrelevance and during those times it may have appeared the rivalry cooled off, but it was just the fans of either team knowing when to be quiet.

Usher in the internet age and fans having access to each other behind the safety of their keyboards along with the fact that both teams have reason to believe they are the best in the conference and you have what we have today. Hatred, the way it should be.

As I've grown older in life and learned to mature (whether I want to or not) I still hate the Flyers and their fans with an all consuming fire. I don't want that to change. I want to hate them. I do hate them.

If the Caps win the Cup it would suck, but I would get over it in a day. If the Rangers win the Cup (and they might this year) I probably won't care much. If the Flyers win the Cup I will be on suicide watch for months, people will have to come check on me and I certainly wouldn't want to be my neighbor's dog who won't stay out of my yard. Bad things could happen, bad things.

I like you.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I get this vibe from them that's like "we're New York, damnit! Broadway! Bright lights!" As if just by the virtue of being the New York City team, they should have all the attention, adulation and whatever else their hearts desire. When the Pens get the media attention and get players like Crosby and Malkin, it just kills them, because they feel that they should have all of those things.

Yeah, I get that too. And I have definitely seen posts from their fans which invoke the greatness of their city by virtue of all of the cosmopolitan assets at their disposal. That seems to be a fallback when commiserating the plight of their team in comparison to the Pen's recent success.

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
Are the immature names really needed?

It's the Flyers. The Washington rivalry is mostly media hyped.

About as necessary as you whining about them.

Flyers easily biggest Rivalry. Caps have simmered down recently. Then I'd say NYI,NYR,NJD.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well we did lose once for 15 years straight in Philly (1974-1989) despite playing them several times a year as they were in our division. That is a streak that may even rival the Pirates two decades and counting of futility. So yeah, I will admit to the inferiority complex lingering from those years. Now with Crosby especially (the chants truly are pathetic and make me laugh at them) but Malkin, etc. too, and our cups, it seems that the green skates are on the other foot.

These are some real facts to live by.

Even some of their posters are down to earth. You can have discussions with some of them no problem. The dislike is there with chirping, but nothing withstanding or unusual.

It's all good.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
obv. Flyers are #1

But I think we have a bit of hatred between us and the Sens. Three straight years playing them in the playoffs plus the sid/foligno incident leopold/sutton hit. I would put them after the caps and equal to the rangers IMO.
It was a potential rivalry, especially after 07 and 08, but it's cooled off considerably. Even that Leopold hit was 3 years ago and long forgotten. I rather like the sens and their fans actually.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I hate the Rangers more than my Jewish friends hate Hitler. They act like they're hockey royalty but what have they done except play in NY. Not many league leaders and not many cups.

And just forget about the most hypercritical baffoon on the planet. Every time I want to complain about Disco, I thank god he doesn't use used car salesmen tactics like Torts.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
See, as someone who lives in Harrisburg (read : Hershey Bears Country), the Caps have a higher presence here than probably anywhere else in PA. Flyer fans are here, but overall they tend to trend just a little bit farther east. We have a few Pens fans here (me included), but we're few and far between here. Flyer fans here still tend to be bigger *******s than Caps fans, though Caps/Bears fans in this area tend to be.... well.... lacking in the critical thought department.

But let's face it, we hooked the Flyers into this from the moment Derian Hatcher set his sights on Sid's teeth.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

There's just no one upping this. :clap:

member 51464

The only two people I know in the part of the Midwest that I live in are Flyers fans. I used to think having people to talk hockey with in real life would be good. Now I think I never want to speak to them again.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
The rivalry I knew of that was the biggest was the 90's Mike Ridley to Peter Bondra Capitals. Some great playoff series then. Love how we always come back from 2 game deficits. My favourite game was, correct me if I am wrong, the game were Wregget was in net. Juneau got stoned on a penalty shot in OT, and Nedved scored the game winner. It was 1996. Was it 3 OTs or 4?

But yes, now it is definitely the Flyers. I love when we beat them. That's why last Spring wasn't my favourite.... that and my ex broke up with. Stupid crummy Spring of 2012!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The rivalry I knew of that was the biggest was the 90's Mike Ridley to Peter Bondra Capitals. Some great playoff series then. Love how we always come back from 2 game deficits. My favourite game was, correct me if I am wrong, the game were Wregget was in net. Juneau got stoned on a penalty shot in OT, and Nedved scored the game winner. It was 1996. Was it 3 OTs or 4

I assume your thinking of game 4 of the '96 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. If so then yes...Nedved scored that goal in quadruple OT. I have that game on DVD.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

man how did I miss this. Bravo good sir

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
1. Flyers
On the second tier
Capitals, Rangers, Islanders
Third Tier
Detroit (cup runs, yeah i'm still on that), Devils, Senators

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
images

In 1975:

Cost of new house $39,300.00
Average Income per year $14,100.00
Average Monthly Rent $200.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 44 cents
Average cost new car$4,250.00
Foster Grant Sun Glasses $5.00

We wore:
1975corduroysportjacket.jpg

1975polyesterknitseparates.jpg

Gerald Ford is president of the US

Evacuation of US civilians from Saigon as Communist forces complete takeover of South Vietnam

FBI agents capture Patty Hearst, who is indicted and convicted of bank robbery

Teamster Jimmy Hoffa disappears without a trace

Marines rescue the crew of the American ship the Mayaguez near Vietnam

First Lady Betty Ford says in an interview that she thinks her children have tried marijuana

Natalie Imbruglia, Drew Barrymore, David Beckham, Enrique Iglesias, Angelina Jolie, and Tiger Woods are born

Cincinnati Reds win the World Series

The 1975 Pittsburgh Pirates played 161 games during the regular season, won 92 games, lost 69 games, and finished in first position.

Pittsburgh Steelers win Superbowl IX

Philadelphia Flyers win the Stanley Cup

Production begins on Star Wars

Jaws and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are the top grossing films

Soul Train premieres on television in the United States

"The Way We Were" (performed by Barbara Streisand) wins the Grammy for best song

Saturday Night Live and Wheel of Fortune premiere

TOP MUSICIANS of '75

Abba
Al Green
Al Stewart
Bee Gees
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Carpenters
Chicago
Eagles
Earth, Wind and Fire
Electric Light Orchestra
Elton John
Emmylou Harris
Fleetwood Mac
John Lennon
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Linda Ronstadt
Neil Young
Olivia Newton0John
Paul SImon
Pink Flloyd
Queen
Roberta Flack
Steely Dan
Boz Scaggs
Palblo Cruz
Seals & Crofts

TV SHOWS

Rhoda
Good Times
Welcome Back, Kotter
Petticoat Junction
My Favorite Martian
Here's Lucy
That Girl
Mister Ed
Get Smart
Maude
The Partridge Family
Family Affair
Gomer Pyle, USMC
Bob Newhart Show
The Monkees
Dennis the Menace
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
Green Acres
I Dream of Jeannie
My Three Sons
Chico and the Man
The Jeffersons
The Odd Couple
Leave It To Beaver
M*A*S*H
The Beverly Hillbillies
The addams Family
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Flintstones
The Munsters
Sanford and Son
Bewitched
Gilligan's Island
Mary Tyler Moore
Happy Days
The Andy Griffith Show
The Brady Bunch
All In The Family
Starsky & Hutch

Last edited:

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
It was a potential rivalry, especially after 07 and 08, but it's cooled off considerably. Even that Leopold hit was 3 years ago and long forgotten. I rather like the sens and their fans actually.

understandable. For me there are a lot more sens I dislike over the rangers. In fact Gaborik is one of my favorite players, and Lundqvist is in my top three for goalies. I just can't hate that team.

I really dislike Neil, foligno, spezza Alfie. Only sen I truly like is Gonchar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad