Biggest Rival?

scottrodo

Mar 8, 2009
Wheeling, WV
Who does everyone think is the Pens biggest rival? Or, to put it another way, who does everyone hate the most? For me its definitely...

1. The Flyers - there is not a single redeeming individual associated with that bunch of undeserving whiners, then at a distant 2&3,
2. The Rangers - the Kings of the Free-agent Fiasco
3. The Capitals - although I like Bruce Boudreau now that he is in Anaheim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
2008-2011 Washington Capitals
2011-Present Flyers

Everyone else I can watch without my fists clenched. I actually don't get worked up watching the Rangers, I fully expect either a two goal win/loss or an overtime.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Who does everyone think is the Pens biggest rival? Or, to put it another way, who does everyone hate the most? For me its definitely...

1. The f-ing Cryers - there is not a single redeeming individual associated with that bunch of undeserving whiners, then at a distant 2&3,
2. The Strangers - the Kings of the Free-agent Fiasco
3. The Crapitals - although I like Bruce Boudreau now that he is in Anaheim.

Are the immature names really needed?

It's the Flyers. The Washington rivalry is mostly media hyped.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Are the immature names really needed?

It's the Flyers. The Washington rivalry is mostly media hyped.

Its definitely the Flyers. Always was. But the rivalry with the Caps is much older than Sid and Ovi. I think its definitely cooled off some, but its definitely a real rivalry. Again though, not on the level of the Flyers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We have done this before.

For 95% here it is the Flyers. There are a handful who vote elsewhere but the voting is not even close. Either way, polls on Philly's board go the same regarding us. Honestly neither fan base sees the other as anything but subhuman judging from the posts I see on each board. The drop off in hatred to the next team is a cliff.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Flyers (The Battle Of Pennsylvania says hi)

Capitals (The rivalry with the Caps is much older than Sid and Ovi but the media has definitely hyped it up a few notches over the years. It has cooled a bit however.)

The rest.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival. philadelphia doesnt view pittsburgh the same way pittsburgh views philadelphia. i think pittsburgh has a bit of an inferiority complex with philadelphia. phila tries to view themselves on more equal footing with ny.

bigger rivalry between the flyers and devils/rangers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival.

I will not link the recent thread on the Flyer's board, because well you are not supposed to do that. But read it and you might change your mind. I have been around long enough, and pop onto other's teams' boards now and then over the years (just to read, I may have posted once on the Flyer's board in all my years here), that what you said was true at one time. No more. The percentages are as strong there as here about loathing us as much as we loath them, and it is not even close the drop to number two. Go there and read, there is a similar thread there posted only a day or so ago. Things have changed and we share hate valentines now.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival. philadelphia doesnt view pittsburgh the same way pittsburgh views philadelphia. i think pittsburgh has a bit of an inferiority complex with philadelphia. phila tries to view themselves on more equal footing with ny.

Right.

Care to explain why the entire arena is obsessed with Crosby chants/signs/etc?

That's inferiority complex.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Flyers, no doubt. The Capitals and Rangers may fluctuate from season to season, but the hate for the Flyers will always be in full force.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Then can you explain those "Crosby sucks" chants that they do with the stupid little organ jingle during every stoppage of play. Even when he's not on the ice???

Or hey...howsabout this???

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/18963892/philadelphia-brewery-makes-whinelike-beer-called-crosby-tears

/thread

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, not sure why for most of you all, but personally my hatred for the Flyers stems mostly from how obnoxious most of their fans are, especially here at HF, but elsewhere as well. The team itself always has particularly loathsome excuses for human beings as well, but that is secondary to how subpar the fan base is.

Which makes GKJ so hard for me to deal with in my head. In my opinion he is one of the best mods at HF and a very likable person to boot. The cosmic dissonance of GKJ and Philly almost makes my head explode at times.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Check out the Flyers board, and see their Rival thread.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Check out the Flyers board, and see their Rival thread.

i'm surprised by those results.

also to clarify, i dont think the penguins or pens fans have an inferiority complex. i think the city of pittsburgh collectively has a bit of an inferiority with regards to philadelphia. whenever i'm in pittsburgh, the media seems to revel in bashing anything philadelphia related. i dont really hear the same level of vitriol directed towards pittsburgh when in phila, the recent renewed pens/flyers rivalry not withstanding.

to put it another way- pittsburgh spends more time worrying about philadelphia than philadelphia worries about pittsburgh.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011

also to clarify, i dont think the penguins or pens fans have an inferiority complex. i think the city of pittsburgh collectively has a bit of an inferiority with regards to philadelphia. whenever i'm in pittsburgh, the media seems to revel in bashing anything philadelphia related. i dont really hear the same level of vitriol directed towards pittsburgh when in phila, the recent renewed pens/flyers rivalry not withstanding.

What?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

also to clarify, i dont think the penguins or pens fans have an inferiority complex. i think the city of pittsburgh collectively has a bit of an inferiority with regards to philadelphia.

Well we did lose once for 15 years straight in Philly (1974-1989) despite playing them several times a year as they were in our division. That is a streak that may even rival the Pirates two decades and counting of futility. So yeah, I will admit to the inferiority complex lingering from those years. Now with Crosby especially (the chants truly are pathetic and make me laugh at them) but Malkin, etc. too, and our cups, it seems that the green skates are on the other foot.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Flyers fans buy Pens gear, draw red X's or ∅'s on the logo and wear that to games. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw it. I don't see them with Rangers or Devils gear doing the same. Could be wrong, though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As an aside, not sure why for most of you all, but personally my hatred for the Flyers stems mostly from how obnoxious most of their fans are, especially here at HF, but elsewhere as well. The team itself always has particularly loathsome excuses for human beings as well, but that is secondary to how subpar the fan base is.

Which makes GKJ so hard for me to deal with in my head. In my opinion he is one of the best mods at HF and a very likable person to boot. The cosmic dissonance of GKJ and Philly almost makes my head explode at times.

As Harrison Ford might say...'ditto'.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
Flyers for sure. I live in central PA where the fanbases are mixed. Flyers fans are obnoxious, unjustifiably cocky, and flat out delusional. I can't tell you how many times ive been told how much better giroux is than crosby. The aftermath of last years playoffs was just unbearable lol.

I don't like the bruins or rangers either.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

to put it another way- pittsburgh spends more time worrying about philadelphia than philadelphia worries about pittsburgh.

Sorry that's just not true. I think I almost get your point on the surface but very honestly it's being way too overly PC and respectful. Philly hates the Rangers no doubt and maybe a decade ago you'd be right but since Sid/Geno got there there is absolutely 0% chance that the Pens are not the answer to most Flyers fans to "Who do you hate the most and consider your biggest rivalry?" No need to go to their boards, I absolutely guarantee that's not even close on their end right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->