Biggest Rival?

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Flyers for sure. I live in central PA where the fanbases are mixed. Flyers fans are obnoxious, unjustifiably cocky, and flat out delusional. I can't tell you how many times ive been told how much better giroux is than crosby. The aftermath of last years playoffs was just unbearable lol.

I don't like the bruins or rangers either.

Typical Flyers fans.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Like I said before TTEoT, your opinion WAS true, and not all that long ago. You have been around long enough to have been around when it was true.

But it started to change when the Pens got Crosby and has only grown since then. Right now the loathing both ways is equally strong, and that has been so for 2-3 years now.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Flyers - Ever since I started watching the Pens in the early 90s, it's always been the Flyers. Through the Lindros era and into the present... it's always been the Flyers.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
When Ovi was at his peak, it was the Caps. But the Sid vs. Ovi debate is long over and so the rivalry has died down.

Now it's the Flyers again. Their fans have always been a bunch of degenerate chest-thumping mongoloids who are somewhat bummed that they're at a Flyers game and not a pro-wrestling event, so they've easily maintained a close 2nd to the Caps the whole time. It's crazy. I mean, you serve Red Bull to several thousand orangutans and affix them in orange t-shirts and seat them in Wells Fargo Center, you'll get almost the exact same narrative, career prospects, and cumulative intelligence... And physical attractiveness. But now that they've collected such an outstanding mixture of ogres and ovaries, they're just so much more easier to hate.

I have very little hatred for the Rangers however.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
When Ovi was at his peak, it was the Caps. But the Sid vs. Ovi debate is long over and so the rivalry has died down.

Now it's the Flyers again. Their fans have always been a bunch of degenerate chest-thumping mongoloids who are somewhat bummed that they're at a Flyers game and not a pro-wrestling event, so they've easily maintained a close 2nd to the Caps the whole time. It's crazy. I mean, you serve Red Bull to several thousand orangutans and affix them in orange t-shirts and seat them in Wells Fargo Center, you'll get almost the exact same narrative, career prospects, and cumulative intelligence... And physical attractiveness. But now that they've collected such an outstanding mixture of ogres and ovaries, they're just so much more easier to hate.

Yeha that surprises me, but I do not really hate their team overall. And the fans do not annoy me as much as they used to although I have always disliked New Yorkers, except for some reason Isle fans. Most here have been pretty cool over the years. But yeah a 7 year old New York girl could be in a spelling bee and I would boo her out of principle until she cried. Old habits die hard.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This cracked me up and made me smile. Thank you, I needed that.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Flyers definitely take the top spot.

Only other team I hate would be the Habs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeha that surprises me, but I do not really hate their team overall. And the fans do not annoy me as much as they used to although I have always disliked New Yorkers, except for some reason Isle fans. Most here have been pretty cool over the years. But yeah a 7 year old New York girl could be in a spelling bee and I would boo her out of principle until she cried. Old habits die hard.

pretty much this. And Torts is an idiot

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
It's the Flyers and it's not even a competition. It's quite obvious that the flyers feel the same way about the Pens.

I have a hard time with the Rangers, i'm very divided about it.

On one hand I want to see Lundqvist win the cup and there seems to be some good guys on the team.
on the other hand. There are alot of primmadonna douceballs on the team and good god if i see Torts raise the cup again I might just vomit all over town.

scottrodo

Mar 8, 2009
Wheeling, WV
Anyone from Philadelphia who says their fans don't hate the Pens more than any other team is trying very hard to convince themselves that they don't have a feeling of inferiority. I was reflecting on my hatred of all things related to the NHL Team Located in Philadelphia (herein NHLTLP) the past couple weekends as I watched the farking Ravens win two playoff games and I realized that my distaste for that team is only eclipsed by my almost blinding rage towards the NHLTLP. The only reason folks in Philly don't hate on the Steelers as much is that they have the Eagles in a love/hate relationship that seems almost unnatural and unlike any other fan/team relation in any sport. As far as hating the Pirates, I don't think anyone hates them. Everyone is now in stunned admiration of their unassailable record of futility.

I'd like to see Consol erupt with chants of "1975" (similar to the old Ranger taunt) when Flyers are in.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Flyers, Flyers, Flyers.
Duh. In state rival, people from West PA already hate SEPA.

Caps number two.

Better question is outside Flyers and Caps do we actually have a true rival (as opposed to a conditional rival)?
I say no. Rangers aren't really a rival, they care far more about the Islanders, Devils, and Flyers. The Devils? Not much hate for them in the atomosphere, and the Isles had their moments but never for long.

We may dislike other teams (Detroit, Montreal, Toronto) but they aren't true rivals as some would say.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Anyone from Philadelphia who says their fans don't hate the Pens more than any other team is trying very hard to convince themselves that they don't have a feeling of inferiority. I was reflecting on my hatred of all things related to the NHL Team Located in Philadelphia (herein NHLTLP) the past couple weekends as I watched the farking Ravens win two playoff games and I realized that my distaste for that team is only eclipsed by my almost blinding rage towards the NHLTLP. The only reason folks in Philly don't hate on the Steelers as much is that they have the Eagles in a love/hate relationship that seems almost unnatural and unlike any other fan/team relation in any sport. As far as hating the Pirates, I don't think anyone hates them. Everyone is now in stunned admiration of their unassailable record of futility.

I'd like to see Consol erupt with chants of "1975" (similar to the old Ranger taunt) when Flyers are in.

Haha....that is probably the best way of phrasing it I have ever heard. Bravo good sir!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think TTEoT was referring to more than just Pens/Flyers but the cities themselves. In terms of Pens-Flyers, I have no doubt in my mind that they hate us just as much as we hate them. However, as a Pittsburgher I dislike all things Philly. I don't know enough Philly people to know if the feeling is mutual. Due to the size of the cities, people from Philly might think they are superior to Pittsburghers (no idea but that seems to be what TTEoT was alluding to).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Flyers and no close second. Not sure why this is a question in anyone's mind. Even the Rangers and Caps rivalries have cooled off a bit, but they're not close in either case. Nothing matches the history, geography and fan animosity of Pens - Flyers. It is also the best rivalry the NHL has going by a pretty wide margin (TV wise / hype-wise).

There are other great rivalries but casual fans just aren't as into them or as aware of them. Examples: Rags - Caps is an awesome rivalry, as is Bruins - Habs, etc. But the visibility just isn't there on the national scale. Even old rivalries like Chicago - Detroit weren't as big in during the last CBA period. Flyers are not only our biggest rival, it's the biggest rivalry in the NHL. Like the old Detroit - Colorado rivalry but with a lot more staying power because of the history, youth and geography of the teams.

1. Flyers

3. Caps (because of playoff history - we don't have too much lately with Rags)
4. Rags
5. Habs

Last edited:

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
can everyone here do me a solid?
1. take a peak at the rangers GDT next time they play the pens.
2. observe the claims of ref bias & bettman favoritism towards the pens. also notice the bitterness that still lingers over the crosby lotto, which was supposed to be a gift wrapped present to the world's most entitled fans.
3. think of larry brooks, john tortorella, and adam graves.
4. remember when we traded a prime kovalev for mikael sammuellson & rico fata? big market bully trades are so much fun!!!
5. re-evaluate your lack of hate for the rangers and their fans.
6. bump this thread and correct your opinions accordingly.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival. philadelphia doesnt view pittsburgh the same way pittsburgh views philadelphia. i think pittsburgh has a bit of an inferiority complex with philadelphia. phila tries to view themselves on more equal footing with ny.

bigger rivalry between the flyers and devils/rangers.

It makes sense to choose rivals who also never win the cup.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
most people in philadelphia dont consider the penguins to be the flyers biggest rival. philadelphia doesnt view pittsburgh the same way pittsburgh views philadelphia. i think pittsburgh has a bit of an inferiority complex with philadelphia. phila tries to view themselves on more equal footing with ny.

bigger rivalry between the flyers and devils/rangers.
That was definitely true in 2005, but now the vast majority of flyers fans see the pens as their #1 rival, especially the newer generation of fans. (source: went to school in pa with a ton of people from philly.)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
2. observe the claims of ref bias & bettman favoritism towards the pens. also notice the bitterness that still lingers over the crosby lotto, which was supposed to be a gift wrapped present to the world's most entitled fans.
4. remember when we traded a prime kovalev for mikael sammuellson & rico fata? big market bully trades are so much fun!!!

I would agree with this. The Ranger fans wouldn't consider us rivals per se, but many hate us more than their rivals. I have read a ton of this sentiment directed toward Devils fans...."You are our rivals, but I actually respect your organization, unlike the Pen's. I have NO respect for them." And that lack of respect is evident from the above mentioned NY media and their coach. The Isles, I think they pity them a bit, but I think they still hate the Isles, but it is as strong, perhaps (I could be wrong) since the Isles have had no success for such a long stretch.

They are like "old money" who see us a successful "welfare recipients" who don't work and just so happen to be living in a penthouse, sipping champagne and burning $100 bills, and waiting for the next check from Uncle Gary. While they are the honest hard working blokes who are slaving away and slowly building their nice digs. LOTTA, LOTTA, (can add about 100 more those) resentment from those guys. A lot of fan bases feel that way, but the Rangers more so than others, as they are in our division. And they used to be able to buy players. Now they can't, as many see the previous lockout and CBA changes directing mainly at a team like Pittsburgh. Negating the big market money advantage and gifting us (as Sour shoes points out) generational talent.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

ya I definitely don't like them. But its not anywhere near the level of the Flyers

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Flyers and no close second. Not sure why this is a question in anyone's mind. Even the Rangers and Caps rivalries have cooled off a bit, but they're not close in either case. Nothing matches the history, geography and fan animosity of Pens - Flyers. It is also the best rivalry the NHL has going by a pretty wide margin (TV wise / hype-wise).

There are other great rivalries but casual fans just aren't as into them or as aware of them. Examples: Rags - Caps is an awesome rivalry, as is Bruins - Habs, etc. But the visibility just isn't there on the national scale. Even old rivalries like Chicago - Detroit weren't as big in during the last CBA period. Flyers are not only our biggest rival, it's the biggest rivalry in the NHL. Like the old Detroit - Colorado rivalry but with a lot more staying power because of the history, youth and geography of the teams.

1. Flyers

3. Caps (because of playoff history - we don't have too much lately with Rags)
4. Rags
5. Habs

That's my list. Really, the hate for the Flyers never has waned throughout my lifetime. I guess you could say it was less intense when the Flyers sucked in the early 1990's or the Pens sucked in the early 2000's. But, every other one of those rivalries comes and goes and maybe lasts a half dozen to a dozen years tops. But, I've known no other emotion but hate for the Flyers.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I have so much hate for the Flyers, there is very little room to hate other teams.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Flyers are number one, with Caps as a distant second.

It's hard to muster the same hate for Washington because of how inept they've been against the Pens when it matters.

As far as the Rangers go, I hate their whiny, entitled fanbase, the team is just blah. I don't care about most of their players one way or another.

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
obv. Flyers are #1

But I think we have a bit of hatred between us and the Sens. Three straight years playing them in the playoffs plus the sid/foligno incident leopold/sutton hit. I would put them after the caps and equal to the rangers IMO.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
1. Flyers

2a. Rangers
2b. Capitals

HM: Blue Jackets

This is how i rank it as well, minus the Blue Jackets haha.

Flyers is easily #1 but for me personally Rangers is #2 because i have quite a few friends who are Ranger fans and then i'd put the Caps at 2b or 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad