Biggest pet peeve plays?

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
This has prob. already been covered but as a long time King's fan, I hate their system of dump and chase that they have been using over the last 7-8 years.
Hoping the new coaching change will eliminate that system but I'm not holding my breath.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I absolutely hate when they just flip the puck up and out and hope for the best. Bugs the hell out of me. My 3 year old can do that.
The removal of the red line like Mr. Orr has repeatedly said has made the game TOO fast. So fast in fact that players have to resort to low IQ plays like the alley-oop pass you mention, players just flying the zone cherry picking for odd-man rushes and breakaways.

Hammond

Apr 22, 2015
Hamilton
When a player bats the puck down with a high stick and both teams refuse to touch it causing a stalemate. It’s nothing major but really ruins the flow of the game. Feel like the team opposite of the high stick doesn’t touch it within a certain amount of time the offending team should be allowed to play it.

Reactions: Seanaconda

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
gaudreaus button hook.
Is that when the player enters the zone with the puck, and then pulls up on the half wall and then throws a prayer pass into the middle which is invariably intercepted by one of the three defenders in the area?

Because Tampa has like 4 guys who do that every zone entry.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Taking low percentage shots on the rush. When defensemen play the shot instead of the pass on two-on-ones. When guys have time and space on the PK to skate around and waste more time but instead just fire the puck around the boards.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Came here to say this. It was created as a way to combat the trap, now its used for what reason exactly? It kills all speed/momentum while entering the zone

gets the entire team up the ice, easier to set the powerplay and more difficult for the other team to clear the puck if they quickly gain possession

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I hate when a player tries to stand an opposing player up at the blueline after they've dumped in the puck. It's interference and I want to see it called every time.

Lol I like how we all seem to agree on this.. yet the nhl will do nothing about it.

Some other good posts in here- very few plays are black and white. The drop pass can work, but the Sabres beat it to death this season. Everyone knew it was coming, it didn’t work. Sharp angle shots can work if ya snipe accurately and have a smart dman covering the far boards, other times it’s dumb as hell.

One I didn’t see.. I hate when a PKer dumps the puck before he needs to. Don’t get me wrong, when in doubt clear it out, but there are certain times where a guy is near the opposing blue line and has all the opposition ahead of him.. hey man, go backwards. You know your d is there, pass it back to them or take some extra time/space yourself. Every now and then I see a situation where a guy could easily kill another 10+ seconds just by going backwards- I get it, you need a change and don’t want to make a mistake, but if your D is back there with no one within 30 feet of ‘em.. seems a much better play than just flipping it behind the other teams net so they can break out.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Sloppy, lazy and dumb plays on the power play.

So many guys seem to play like they're entitled to get good scoring chances just because they're on a power play. Two specific things are the guy that waits too long with the puck on his stick while the penalty killer rushes toward him and either has the puck stolen or he makes a rushed bad pass that puts his teammate in a bad spot and starts a domino effect that eventually leads to a turnover because the penalty killers see the lack of puck control and keep pressuring each guy that receives a poor rushed pass. "Pass when you're supposed to, not when you have to".

Second is the guy that fights board battles on the power play. Granted this is more of a rare thing but this will occasionally happen. You have more guys on the ice than the other team there is no need to play a cycle game, if there is a guy on you that means someone is open, pass it to him.

It's no wonder that the penalty killing team end up with the best scoring chance sometimes.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1) Not shooting when the player gets between the hash marks and instead trying to make a low percentage pass for a pretty goal.

2) Blind passes through the middle in the defensive zone.

3) Not shooting at the empty net when the other team's goalie has been pulled.

4) Taking a retaliatory penalty when the other team would have been shorthanded. Only in close games does this bother me.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Eller having Kuznetsov wide open and not passing, and then the Canes advancing

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I hate offsides especially when it kills a good rush!!!! Not sure why players have to try enter the zone exactly when the puck carrier does why can’t they wait a step behind be onside or the puck carrier does that little extra move before the line and puts someone offside!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad