Biggest pet peeve plays?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Forcing passes on a 2 on 1. Drives me absolutely insane when a guy has a clear shot and a teammate driving the net for the rebound and instead he tries to sauce a pass over an already cheating defenseman's stick.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I feel like (and I could be wrong) the Red Wings were the first to really employ the center ice drop pass on the power play, in order to gain the offensive zone. This worked because they had a guy named Datsyuk, who could gain the zone at any speed, usually quite slow, through 3 guys... because he had tremendous vision, stick handling, and lots of sneaky passes, and defenders gave him space because they were terrified.

After Datsyuk left they continued the same play, over and over, for seasons... apparently never noticing that without #13 it just doesn't work. Was frustrating to watch because the reasons it was failing seemed so obvious.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Deboer sitting half his bench in OT. I watched Dillion, he has been tons more reliable in his own zone than EK ever was but decides to bench him and double up and EK65. WTH?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
My biggest pet peeve play is when the defending team wins a puck battle and promptly turns it over to the same player the offensive player would have moved the puck to had he maintained possession. It's amazing how often i see it happen.
Second is players swatting at pucks well above their heads with their sticks. It cannot work out for you, it can only benefit the opponent. :mad:

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
When a defending player goes for a line change when the attacking team is coming out of their zone and the player substituting him is allowed to come off the bench before the player he is replacing is anywhere near it. I've seen odd man rushes get negated because of this and I wish they'd call "too many men on the ice" penalties when defending teams basically cheat to get one of their players back into the d-zone faster.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Forcing passes on a 2 on 1. Drives me absolutely insane when a guy has a clear shot and a teammate driving the net for the rebound and instead he tries to sauce a pass over an already cheating defenseman's stick.
Even worse than this is the puck carrier who does nothing while the defenceman closes on him and slides to deny both the pass and the shot. If there's backside pressure preventing you from deking around the guy, you need to either pass or shoot before both options are gone!

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
- Power play drop pass

- Chasing a player behind his net (This one drives Don Cherry crazy)

- Dump and chase

- Passive penalty kill formation where the killing team just stands there waving their sticks back and forth like windshield wipers (this one really drives me nuts)

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
A linemate plays his heart out and gets the puck back after some intense fighting along the boards, only for another lazy f***o to lose it again after some bad dekes.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
The penguins pass into the box on the power play. You have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Kessel on the outside and you make a bullet pass to Hornqvist surrounded by 4 penalty killers.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
When players rip a one-timer from near the offensive blueline purely because the puck caromed out nicely to them for a one timer.

Doesn't matter if there's a teammate wide open for a slap pass, or if they have an opponent who will easily block the shot, or if there's 60 feet of open ice between them and the goalie, the puck happened to get knocked around so it slides out to them flat so why not put your head down and rip it like you're in practice.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The point to point one timer. Nobody does it anymore, but it used to the Jets "go to" move back in the Noel days until somebody finally figured out that they werent gaining any geometrical advantage.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
When a defenseman jumps up in the play, screws up, and then just throws in front of the net (the defenseman now being near the boards along the goal line). Very risky play that can lead to odd man rushes the other way.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
1. Passing too much to try and go for the pretty play

2. Shots right into the goalies stomach that kill a play
It's very frustrating. Sometimes doing so much efforts to end up shooting right on the goalie.
At some point though, I think some guys just shoot it on the goalies stomach to get a face-off.
Sure, I know you must mean when things are going well in the offensive zone... then the guy who shoots hits the goalie's belly. lol

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The point to point one timer. Nobody does it anymore, but it used to the Jets "go to" move back in the Noel days until somebody finally figured out that they werent gaining any geometrical advantage.
I guess there can be an advantage to that if it's the Habs and Weber is on one side (averages close to 20 goals a year)... and Mete on the other side (0 career goals). I could see the point to point pass being an option.
Anyway, I love Mete and the Habs didn't use them this way, usually a forward (playmaking) at the point with Weber.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Second is players swatting at pucks well above their heads with their sticks.

This is #1 with a bullet for me. Malkin does it all the time and it drives me nuts. Only on rare, rare occasions is it the right move (e.g. cutting off a lob pass in order to prevent a player behind you from going on a break).

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
When goalies try to force a low percentage pass up ice instead of handing the puck off to their D-man who's 3 feet away.

More often than not it ends up as a turnover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad