Biggest pet peeve plays?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Stretch pass to a player under pressure who has no option but to try and deflect it in deep... where precisely no-one is fore-checking. Feels like the Rangers do this many many times a game and usually just hands possession to the other team.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
When a forechecker battles hard along the corner boards to win the puck back to point, only for the defenseman to throw it right back down the boards to the corner.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Pulling the goalie when down by 1 when you already have all the momentum.

Reactions: NyQuil

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I hate when a player tries to stand an opposing player up at the blueline after they've dumped in the puck. It's interference and I want to see it called every time.
This! When the league made the big push to call interference/obstruction, this was called all of the time. I don’t know why/when they stopped calling this.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Players/teams not being aware when they're on the pp and there's another delayed call, so they keep playing with the puck.

I've seen teams waste far too long. Someone should be aware, screaming as if someone is going to kill them to get attention to fire the puck at on net/pass it to the other team.

5 on 3 is way better than a 6 on 4
What's better, a 6 on 4 where you are guaranteed puck possession in the ozone or a 5 on 3 with a 50% chance of losing the faceoff and the puck being cleared wasting 10-20 seconds of PP time? If it's a defensive or neutral zone penalty then I say give up the puck but if someone gives away the puck in the offensive zone when they have a 1 or even 2 man advantage, that's beyond dumb.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Unscreened shots from the blueline most of the time. Ummm... mainly plays with bad situational awareness - inopportune icings, pinches that lead to odd man rushes when you're protecting a lead, things like that.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What's better, a 6 on 4 where you are guaranteed puck possession in the ozone or a 5 on 3 with a 50% chance of losing the faceoff and the puck being cleared wasting 10-20 seconds of PP time? If it's a defensive or neutral zone penalty then I say give up the puck but if someone gives away the puck in the offensive zone when they have a 1 or even 2 man advantage, that's beyond dumb.

Or you pass the puck around, get nothing out of those 20 seconds. Face off, lose and there goes another wasted 10-20 seconds of pp opportunity. It's not often a team scores on a delay penalty. Teams are more likely to score 5 on 3 and that's why you give the puck away.

Or you screw up and score on yourself which happens, too.

Seems quite obvious what is "beyond dumb"

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Or you pass the puck around, get nothing out of those 20 seconds.
Face off, lose and there goes another wasted 10-20 seconds of pp opportunity. It's not often a team scores on a delay penalty. Teams are more likely to score 5 on 3 and that's why you give the puck away.

Or you screw up and score on yourself which happens, too.

Seems quite obvious what is "beyond dumb"
First of all, I never said to waste time passing the puck around. What I said is that simply giving the puck away in the offensive zone on a 2 man advantage is dumb. The strategy in that situation is to be aggressive and when you see a lane take a shot. Your statement seems to imply that only in a 6 on 4 situation can 20 seconds be wasted passing the puck around. Is that not possible on a 5 on 3? Here's another scenario to the one you pointed out. The team passes the puck around for 10-20 seconds and then scores, they then get another full 2 minute PP to work with and a goal on the board with tired defenders. In your scenario if they lose that faceoff wasting 20 seconds getting set up again and then waste 20 seconds of that 5 on 3 passing it around and then score a goal, one of two things will happen. Either the first penalty expired when the goal is scored and you are back to even strength or the first penalty is taken off the board and instead of having a 2 minute PP, you now have a 1:20 PP. Again, I'm not saying to waste a ton of time but the concept of giving away possession of the puck in the offensive zone with a 2 man advantage is dumb and that's why you rarely see it happen. Players give away the puck in the neutral zone or defensive zone but not in the offensive zone because they know how difficult it can be to get set up and how valuable ozone possessions are.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Holding the puck and looking for the stretch pass and the stretch pass only, (the Yandle special).
Instead of making the easier quick pass to wide open teammates right in front or off to the side of you, to get the puck flowing up the ice as a team in a structured and most of time much quicker way.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
1. Passing too much to try and go for the pretty play

2. Shots right into the goalies stomach that kill a play
Ironically these two points almost directly contradict. Often the reason for excessive passing is to avoid shooting from a position that puts the puck into the goalies stomach.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
And the goalie thinking he's a "third defenseman". Just stop it. Touch the puck as little as possible, stop trying to handle the puck thinking you're "helping the team". Most of the time they're just slowing the play down. And the obvious bad part is, the unnecessary danger of giving up a cheap goal.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ironically these two points almost directly contradict. Often the reason for excessive passing is to avoid shooting from a position that puts the puck into the goalies stomach.

I prefer shots for a rebound or shots into traffic tbh. My pet peeves are mostly directed at the Stars cause they pass up on everything and NEVER shoot for a rebound outside of Blake Comeau

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Came here to say this. It was created as a way to combat the trap, now its used for what reason exactly? It kills all speed/momentum while entering the zone
Its supposed to actually generate speed. The thought is you have the carrier bring it up and as he nears the blue line the defense begins to collapse. Then he drops the puck so a forward behind him who has generated speed through the neutral zone can collect the puck with speed and cut at an angle into the offensive zone with less resistance.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If the other team's defenseman is set up or preparing to set up behind their net, I would just pressure him ASAP. Why should I stand in front of their goalie and give the other team ample time to change and get into position for a breakout? Make the defender think and act quicker, they're more likely to make a mistake. Very rarely do you see that guy that stands in front of the net actually pick off a pass. I've seen way more times where the guy chases him behind the net and causes havoc.

Reactions: Trade and 24 others

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
This! When the league made the big push to call interference/obstruction, this was called all of the time. I don’t know why/when they stopped calling this.

After the trapezoid came, the D men were getting crushed by unimpeded forwards on every dump in so they dialed it back. In theory I would rather get rid of the trapezoid, but it is much easier to police the trapezoid than it is to get interference calls right.

Reactions: Pavail Zachupov

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
in the obstruction vein too, but when guys get pinned to the boards during a cycle for some reason they're allowed to literally hold that player there for upwards of 5 seconds

like i'm sorry, you hold someone at center ice for that long, you're sitting. why's it suddenly legal against the boards?

in the same situation too, i hate when 1 player falls down, the other player pulls the accidentally on purpose "fall on top of him and pin him to the ice" play

Reactions: IlikeEich

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Lazy & predictable drop passes to the trailer in the neutral zone on the PP.

Bad angle shot that wrings out of the zone on a PP.

Shot that easily gets deflected out of the zone, especially after an icing allowing tired players to change.

Low percentage shot that hits the goalies crest giving up possession, especially after an icing allowing tired players to change.​

Last edited:

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Hate that PP drop pass as well. Do the stats back up that it works, because I don't see it.

Yes.

Double barrel slingshot (as we coaches call it) is a very efficient way to gain the zone on the PP. It prevents F1 from sniffing out the drop pass, you can't eliminate both trailers so there's a good chance someone is gonna have a lane with speed. From there it's a read. If that side of the ice is open take it, if not move the puck to the other trailer and have him make the next read.

Obviously theres times where a shoot in and retrieval is better option but as a boilerplate strategy, it's a very good one.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
I hate when a good cycle/forecheck/possession gets neutered in the offensive zone because a pinching defenseman is too passive/scared and wants to get back on D even though a forward is in good cover position for him.

I hate forced passes and shots on the PP. move the puck around and wait for a good shot. no need to force.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->