Confirmed with Link: Big Z (Zdeno Chara) signed to 1 year, $795,000 deal

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I do. I expect anyone on defense who allows easy paths to Ilya to have a nice little chat with Big Z.

I do expect a lot of chatting from Chara, hopefully from under a warm blanket so that his feet aren't cold :)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
B's fan, and while it sucks to see him go, he's pretty much cooked. He lacks the skating ability to be a 22 minute per night guy these days, but that's how he was used last year, and would have been again this year if they had brought him back. That being said though, if you spot him like on the PK or in late game situations where the other team is pulling the goalie, and he doesn't have to be very mobile, he can still be very effective defensively in his own end. If you're playing against faster teams that have players who can really move, he's not what you want on the ice. Scary to watch in fact.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Ok I’ll be that guy. I don’t get it. Was not impressed with him last year, looked way too slow. I’m hoping this is another taxi squad move because I’m worried if we’re counting on him to be effective.

somebody please tell me why Boston wouldn’t pay 750k for one last ride?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
ben-roethlisberger-oh-steelers-reaction.gif

Reactions: g00n

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Ok I’ll be that guy. I don’t get it. Was not impressed with him last year, looked way too slow. I’m hoping this is another taxi squad move because I’m worried if we’re counting on him to be effective.

somebody please tell me why Boston wouldn’t pay 750k for one last ride?

DEFENSE! We got 5 guys who might as well be playing forward and a young goaltender. Bad combo. This gives someone to go along with Dillon to protect Ilya. Plus with Hank out, Sammy is likely playing more games.

Reactions: g00n

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
DEFENSE! We got 5 guys who might as well be playing forward and a young goaltender. Bad combo. This gives someone to go along with Dillon to protect Ilya. Plus with Hank out, Sammy is likely playing more games.
The guy looked like a statue last year. I don’t see him being that defense stopper we would like him to be.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe Lavi watched film and wasn't impressed with Siegenthaler and they don't want to rush Fehervary or Alexeyev into full-time duty. They also now have eight legitimate NHL defensemen -- four on the left in Dillon, Orlov, Chara, and Siegenthaler and four on the right in Carlson, Jensen, Schultz, and TVR -- so they're protected against injuries or a bad run of play during the compressed season. Big Z also should be a big help on the PK. Hard to complain about this signing... except McPhee should have done this in 2006.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Hell, at worst if he stinks and they can get away without needing his cap space, put him in a suit on game days and just use him as a mentor. There isn't a single d-man on the Caps that couldn't learn something from Chara.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The guy looked like a statue last year. I don’t see him being that defense stopper we would like him to be.

Games are won on results, not optics

Here is where Chara would've ranked on the Capitals last year in defensive statistics:

1st in +/- at +26
1st in defensive point shares with 5.0
3rd in blocks with 101 (team leader had 108)
1st in ESGA with 39 (for comparison, Carlson had 70 ESGA in only 1 more ESmin/gm than Chara)
1st in ESGA/60 at 2.0 (for comparison, Carlson was at 3.2)
2nd in PK/gm by 1 second at 3:10

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe Lavi watched film and wasn't impressed with Siegenthaler and they don't want to rush Fehervary or Alexeyev into full-time duty. They also now have eight legitimate NHL defensemen -- four on the left in Dillon, Orlov, Chara, and Siegenthaler and four on the right in Carlson, Jensen, Schultz, and TVR -- so they're protected against injuries or a bad run of play during the compressed season. Big Z also should be a big help on the PK. Hard to complain about this signing... except McPhee should have done this in 2006.
IMO it's one part culture, another part goaltending questions. Chara's mobility and offense isn't what it was but the defensive metrics remain really strong. I'm not totally sold whether that will translate in a new system and with a different group but the base in-zone area coverage should still apply.

In a shortened season and with the defensive depth they have they should be able to rotate D and keep some of them rested. It could be a pretty valuable strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad