Confirmed with Link: Big Z (Zdeno Chara) signed to 1 year, $795,000 deal

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Congratulations Caps fans. Still a shutdown and PK dominant guy if used correctly and you guys have the ability to do that.

IMO Boston had the best locker room in hockey with Bergeron and Chara. Now that title goes to you with Ovi and Big Z.

Other teams and fans hate him because he’s been so nasty to play against. But he is truly the classiest guy in hockey. A total family, team, and community guy. You just got a gem who, although in the last days of his career, is an intangible that could just get you another Cup. Congratulations and good luck Big Z. We will miss you and all he gave to Boston.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Delightful. Veteran leadership to add to the room and a massive body in front of the net for basically no money. Plus, another guy Ovie battled with his whole career coming to be a teammate. Love it.
In my view Ovi, who has obviously been and still is an absolute force on the ice, has matured into one of those truly savvy veterans who just “gets it”. If I’m a betting man Ovi loves this signing.

I hate Washington — not in a disrespectful way, but as a fan who hates other big, nasty, good teams that scare me. Now I’m a guy who will root for Caps outside of being at the expense to the B’s.

I’m a laundry guy. Usually when a player leaves Boston he is kind of dead to me (not fair, but we are fans after all). However in 50 years there are three notable exceptions: Orr, Bourque, and Big Z.

As long as he plays for you, Caps are suddenly ok in my book. After that, may you never make playoffs again. No offense intended.:laugh:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Are there any details on how this deal came to be? I’m pretty curious, feels like Chara would be the one to reach out after hearing Boston wasn’t going to sign him.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Canadian Press via TSN:
Chara will be playing in front of starting goaltender Ilya Samsonov, who was born nine months before Chara made his NHL debut for the New York Islanders in 1996.

(Siegenthaler is even younger than Samsonov, and all of Fever, Alexeyev and CMM were born after Chara's debut.)

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Are there any details on how this deal came to be? I’m pretty curious, feels like Chara would be the one to reach out after hearing Boston wasn’t going to sign him.

I would probably guess it was Mac. I imagine what happened was with Hank out, Mac didn't feel great about Ilya and whoever the second option was with the defense in front of them. Z was apparently offered a role as the 7th d-man in Boston. I can't imagine he would leave the Bruins without a chance to start.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wonder if this impacts forward depth decisions given Chara's PK ability.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I would probably guess it was Mac. I imagine what happened was with Hank out, Mac didn't feel great about Ilya and whoever the second option was with the defense in front of them. Z was apparently offered a role as the 7th d-man in Boston. I can't imagine he would leave the Bruins without a chance to start.
I really doubt anybody contacted Chara, seems like once he learned Boston was moving on he decided to reach out to a select few teams. Was obviously an orchestrated reveal with his Instagram edited video & PR write up dropping at the same time the news of the signing did.

Reactions: racingmoose

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I really doubt anybody contacted Chara, seems like once he learned Boston was moving on he decided to reach out to a select few teams. Was obviously an orchestrated reveal with his Instagram edited video & PR write up dropping at the same time the news of the signing did.

He prepared it bacause he knew there was a strong chance he was leaving. But as I said the B's apparently offered him a role as a 7th defensemen. Habs liked him, but due to Canada rules, that was unlikely due to family. As i said, i'm guessing this happened after the news of Hank's heart condition. Mac offered Chara a top 6 role. I also imagine Chara had to think it over. Either be a backup in Boston but stay with family or be a starter in DC but leave family for season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You doubt incorrectly.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
What I think is cool is how many respected guys around the league want to play here. Says a lot about the organization both on and off the ice.

This is still a good team. Getting up in age, but a good team. You also got to look at the division

BUF-Dark horse if EVERYTHING goes right.
BOS-Retooling. Still might be a playoff team.
NJ-Rebuilding
NYI-Toughest opponent in division
NYR-Rebuilding
PHI-Hart is a great goalie, going to guess playoffs.
PIT-Stars on the decline, JR's recent moves have been questionable...

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just saw the news on ESPN and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Lets hope Chara still has wheels and isnt another Kovy.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
You doubt incorrectly.

This right here...this makes you wonder. Now I thought Chara would be a 3rd line. However with 20 teams in the mix, is Chara good friends with OV and really wants to play with him or did Mac offer him a much more significant role than just a 3rd line defensemen for him to come here.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Whoa I hope he still plays physical

source.gif

Reactions: kicksavedave

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It be funny if he signed with Vancouver.

He said he liked montreal a lot but the fact that quarantine would prevent him from seeing his family if he played in Canada that he wouldnt do that. So that would include Vancouver. His family is staying in Boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad