Post-Game Talk: Big Win!! Yuuuuge! Tor 4:2 Wpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Lose to the Blues and Babcock should be fired, trade everyone. Beat the jets and suddenly we should extend babs and keep everyone.
Jekyll and Hyde in here..
Blues always give us trouble. I did not expect any different result that night. Idk why other ppl would get upset about that game. We tried, but their style is bad match-up for us. We will not meet them in playoffs though as they would be long eliminated by then. Teams play trap because they don't have skill to go past talented teams.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Gotta take a second to appreciate my boy Freddy Andersen. He won't win a Vezina any time soon but the dude regularly pulls out the kinds of big stops that haven't been seen round these parts much over the past decade. Definitely been awhile since I could appreciate a Leafs goalie. I was a massive CuJo fan growing up and then to deal with Raycroft, Gerber, The "Monster," Reimer, Bernier. Ugh. Hurts to look at. Well at least Reimer was likable.

Edit: how on Earth could I forget Vesa Toskala. If I have kids I'm telling them the monster under their bed is called a Vesa Toskala.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We outplayed and outcoached the other team;)
After that ridiculous title last game, all the people that hated on Babcock deserve to have it thrown back on them.
We definitely outplayed them, that's for sure. 2 periods anyway.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Indeed, Oz looked good. I am rooting for him to succeed. Same with Marincin. I hope they both can be consistent and stick.

What a fun game to watch. After the painful Pens and Blues games, it feels so good.

Reactions: Liminality

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Gotta take a second to appreciate my boy Freddy Andersen. He won't win a Vezina any time soon but the dude regularly pulls out the kinds of big stops that haven't been seen round these parts much over the past decade. Definitely been awhile since I could appreciate a Leafs goalie. I was a massive CuJo fan growing up and then to deal with Raycroft, Gerber, The "Monster," Reimer, Bernier. Ugh. Hurts to look at. Well at least Reimer was likable.

Edit: how on Earth could I forget Vesa Toskala. If I have kids I'm telling them the monster under their bed is called a Vesa Toskala.

Freddy had a great night tonight and that's fantastic. But how the hell do you leave Eddie Belfour out of your call-out list? He was easily the best Leafs goalie in my lifetime during his short stint (and I'm 49).

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Freddy had a great night tonight and that's fantastic. But how the hell do you leave Eddie Belfour out of your call-out list? He was easily the best Leafs goalie in my lifetime during his short stint (and I'm 49).

I moved to the States at the turn of the century and we got a Leafs broadcast maybe twice a year back then. I only really saw his 05/06 season, which was terrible, so I just gloss over him in my mind lol.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Game Grades

A+: Andy
A: Tavares, Hyman, Kadri, Kappy, Reilly
B: Matthews, Lindholm, Oz-man, Leivo, Goat, Marner
C: Hainsey, Ennis, Marleau, Zaitsev, Marincin
D: Brown
I: Nylander
WTF: Gardiner- The guy skates around in a fog. Hero to zero in one shift.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I’m gonna be a sore winner but the refs were **** tonight.

We dominate most of the game, one pp. jets start to turn it on in the third, two pps that period.

So f’n bogus

My favorite was during the delayed penalty int he 3rd the ;puck goes to the Jets bench and the guy coming on for the goalie plays it while the goalie wasn't even touching the boards yet let along on the bench. But couldn't call that, would have taken away the Jets PP chance to make it 3-2, which they did make it 3-2.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I moved to the States at the turn of the century and we got a Leafs broadcast maybe twice a year back then. I only really saw his 05/06 season, which was terrible, so I just gloss over him in my mind lol.

Understood. Sadly, he fell off a cliff at the end.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Gardiner had a good game. Makes small plays to help transition out of the zone that don't get noticed, but when he messes up, it becomes a glaring error.

Saw this live and thought exactly that. Was going to make this kind of comment here in the GDT and then realized most people probably wouldn't even have noticed because that's how it usually goes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Missed parts of the third but didn't like the effort level after the 3rd goal.

Nonetheless:

- Excellent start and first two periods. I expect to see more of that from this team
- Kadri's goal was big. Hope this starts to get him going to balance out the scoring
- Andy was good
- The Goat is stapling the fourth line solidly. Nice to see some secondary offense and Ennis get on the board.
- Their depth/skill won out in the end with the huge goal from Tavares off the slick moves of Marner

Also interesting how the Leafs obviously control the first two periods and get 1 PP against one of the higher penalized teams in the league mind you.. The Jets bring it in similar fashion in the third and get 2 PP's alone (3 in total).

Reactions: Cobra777

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Saw this live and thought exactly that. Was going to make this kind of comment here in the GDT and then realized most people probably wouldn't even have noticed because that's how it usually goes.
Agree, you're right. The defense played well tonight.

When only 1 even strength goal is allowed, that usually means a win.

I don't think wins really matter around here to most people, lol.

:baghead:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Missed parts of the third but didn't like the effort level after the 3rd goal.

Nonetheless:

- Excellent start and first two periods. I expect to see more of that from this team
- Kadri's goal was big. Hope this starts to get him going to balance out the scoring
- Andy was good
- The Goat is stapling the fourth line solidly. Nice to see some secondary offense and Ennis get on the board.
- Their depth/skill won out in the end with the huge goal from Tavares off the slick moves of Marner

Also interesting how the Leafs obviously control the first two periods and get 1 PP against one of the higher penalized teams in the league mind you.. The Jets bring it in similar fashion in the third and get 2 PP's alone (3 in total).
Nice summary.
This was the first game where our secondary scoring won it for us. Huge for the team if they start to get going at 5 on 5. Loving the Goat, I think it's his skating that's improved the most.
As far as getting outplayed in the 3rd period, I think it has some of it to do with scoring effects.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
1 PP for tonight... against one of the most penalized teams in the league.

Called that today to my buddy's.

Common theme now

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
22 shots against in the third period. Loved the first 2, hated the 3rd. A drastic shift like that has to be partially coaching, C'mon Babcock.
He won't ever change...'we're winning,let's weather the storm boys!'...instead of lets's bury 'em!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice summary.
This was the first game where our secondary scoring won it for us. Huge for the team if they start to get going at 5 on 5. Loving the Goat, I think it's his skating that's improved the most.
As far as getting outplayed in the 3rd period, I think it has some of it to do with scoring effects.

I've noticed this for awhile now and it's great to see. Definitely think last year while he was with the Leafs that he was still recovering from that leg-related injury that kept him out in the first half of the Marlies season.

Looks like a totally different skater out there and he's starting to learn how to use his body more.

I still would like to see a better third. Then again the PP's against didn't help.

I hope they come ready on Saturday, the Jets will want revenge. Beating them in back to back games would be quite the statement.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Blues always give us trouble. I did not expect any different result that night. Idk why other ppl would get upset about that game. We tried, but their style is bad match-up for us. We will not meet them in playoffs though as they would be long eliminated by then. Teams play trap because they don't have skill to go past talented teams.
With Tavares on board there should never be a 'they always give us trouble' default attitude. The Blues sucked but so did the Leafs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad