OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: To Alcohol! The Cause of & Solution To All of Life's Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
What's the appeal of any form of entertainment or hobby?

When you're a kid they're actually fun. When you're a young adult they can make you sound interesting in job interviews. When you have kids they serve to remind you of all the fun you could be having. When you're old they fill the days that would otherwise be filled with regrets.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
When you're a kid they're actually fun. When you're a young adult they can make you sound interesting in job interviews. When you have kids they serve to remind you of all the fun you could be having. When you're old they fill the days that would otherwise be filled with regrets.

You're wise, you

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not that it was a particularly good show, but I'm surprised Ironside got canceled already on NBC after 3 episodes. Most shows, especially episodic ones like Ironside, take awhile to establish an audience. Not sure how they can come to a decision after three shows.

On that note, they keep talking about the 18-49 demographic being key. However, I'd say it's the 18-49 female demographic that they care about. I mean, what guy watches Chicago Fire or The Voice? Yet both are highly rated shows.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I need some help. I did pretty well at the interview I had last Tuesday and sent a thank you email on Wednesday. Last Thursday, the guy responded saying thanks and that I should hear from them soon. It has been a week since he sent his response. When do I follow up with the "hearing back" part?

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I need some help. I did pretty well at the interview I had last Tuesday and sent a thank you email on Wednesday. Last Thursday, the guy responded saying thanks and that I should hear from them soon. It has been a week since he sent his response. When do I follow up with the "hearing back" part?

Most of the places I interviewed with would let you know within 2 weeks or so. If he made it seem like it would be sooner, maybe email them on Monday?

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Slow your roll. If you have another offer on the table from ABC Corp it's okay and tell them you're on a deadline with ABC Corp, but that you were hoping to hear from the firm you're waiting on before deciding. Don't make this a powerplay; it should be done modestly. Otherwise give it a couple weeks. You don't want to seem desperate.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will never get the appeal of an autograph.

It is not for everyone, but it does have an appeal.

I just bought at auction three signed first editions by Edward Gorey. He has a quirky sense of dark humor that appeals to me. Or had, he died in 2000. Like his ABC book, a half century old now, which I do have a first edition of:

gashlycrumb2.jpg

Gashlycrumb-Tinies-edward-gorey-34823_350_286.jpg

Gashlycrumb-Tinies-edward-gorey-34824_350_283.jpg

Gashlycrumb-Tinies-edward-gorey-34825_350_283.jpg

Signed books (or other objects) are a connection to the person I suppose, albeit a very tenuous one. But good investments as well if you know what you are doing.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
the right autographed book is a guaranteed panty-dropper. i found a signed copy of Eugene O'Neill's Ah, Wilderness purchased at Caliban on Craig street to be quite effective.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Slow your roll. If you have another offer on the table from ABC Corp it's okay and tell them you're on a deadline with ABC Corp, but that you were hoping to hear from the firm you're waiting on before deciding. Don't make this a powerplay; it should be done modestly. Otherwise give it a couple weeks. You don't want to seem desperate.

Makes sense. I'm just trying to get out of my current lease as soon as possible so I don't owe even MORE money for breaking it.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
meat & potatoes late night menu.... duus. i think i died and went to heaven.

on a side note (since we're talking about ladies), pittsburgh is a rough place to be if you're a 20something and single. i really need to move unless i want to exclusively date college girls, which has its perks.. but also its drawbacks.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
meat & potatoes late night menu.... duus. i think i died and went to heaven.

on a side note (since we're talking about ladies), pittsburgh is a rough place to be if you're a 20something and single. i really need to move unless i want to exclusively date college girls, which has its perks.. but also its drawbacks.

* The male population is 348,613, and the female population is 388,187.

* There are 39,574 more females than males in Pittsburgh; in percentage terms, there are 10.19% more females than males.

http://www.maletofemaleratio.com/wiki/pennsylvania-pa/pittsburgh.htm

Of course they do not tell you that the majority of those women are in their 80's plus, but still the odds are in your favor if you are not too picky.

Or are into 80 year old women, because that is just how you roll.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
So I just looked up who Rob Ford is (I had no idea he was Toronto's mayor).

Are we sure he isn't Chris Farley reincarnated and he's filming Black Sheep 2 when he actually runs and wins an election of his own?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
What the hell is wrong with the residents of Toronto? I mean Chris Farley was funny, but electing him to public office?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What the hell is wrong with the residents of Toronto? I mean Chris Farley was funny, but electing him to public office?

I do not live there, and am unfamiliar with what went on, but can speculate.

I doubt that they knew much of this when they voted for the guy.

But you never know.

Washington DC knew Marion Barry was a crackhead and kept reelecting him Mayor anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad