OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Mancouver Chases the Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think it looks good, but I've never been a big fan of large scale FPS games. Or vehicles. Counterstrike is still my favorite shooter. Smaller and more personal fights. Team Fortress 2 is great too.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Battlefront 2 was awesome. They seem to have taken features out of this one sadly. Basically, it looks like a Battlefield 4 skin. They were always similar, but not as similar as this seems to be.

I may be the only person who didn't like Fallout 3.

Nope, I think Fallout 3 has a legitimate claim to be the most overrated game of all-time.

Still hyped as all hell for Fallout 4, though.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
EHM is great and I've poured tons of time into it, going back to the old freeware version, but I could see how it would be overwhelming for someone playing it for the first time.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think it looks good, but I've never been a big fan of large scale FPS games. Or vehicles. Counterstrike is still my favorite shooter. Smaller and more personal fights. Team Fortress 2 is great too.

Yeah, i hate vehicles. I'm a dumb grunt forever! foot soildiers FTW! Hard getting back into CSGO after 3 months of not playing ANY video games...geez! Aiming is Silver 1 bad at the moment, need time to adjust with my old age (31). My favourite game will always be U2XMP, my first ever MP game i have played, after that probably Quake...got a little into Quake 3, a little into Quake Live but not a lot but it's SOOOOO much fun, i love skill based games. Only play CSGO because it's popular and where the competition is at. Almost as big as Dota 2. I would not mind getting decent at the game but i don't wanna take it seriously at my age, more important things to do.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have still yet to play a Bethesda game with good combat.

Fools! The both of you!

I kind of see what you are saying about the combat, I guess. Especially their older titles. I suppose it might be kind of clunky for some. I mean... for those who lack motor skills, spacial awareness, a tacticians brain and the like.

You guys didn't even care for FO:NV or Skyrim? I suppose you wouldn't if you didn't like FO3 or Bethesda games, in general. I think the combination of real time FPS and V.A.T.S is generally pretty brilliant and despite the massive differences in the games... still manages to maintain much of the same feel of the original two.

On a side note... aren't there going to be a bunch of limitations in the new Battlefront? I admit I haven't read much about it but I seem to remember a bunch of people griping about stuff when it was announced. Though that's hardly indicative that it's going to be a poor title.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have still yet to play a Bethesda game with good combat.

Oddly enough that's a claim that goes along with many of my favorites of all-time, namely the Bioshock series.

Whether or not I like a Bethesda game seems to be random and largely based on setting...never cared for an Elder Scrolls game until Skyrim, because it's set in a snowy world with a lot of borrowed elements of what I studied while in Denmark. I'm hyped for Fallout 4 because I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff.

I couldn't get past the gameplay of Fallout 3, though. Too many things just didn't work well and the mechanics were a little too demanding of what could effectively be pulled off at the time. It also helps that Fallout 3 came out in the midst of my not giving a **** about video games period, but so did Bioshock and that's one of my favorite games of all-time.

I never played New Vegas, though I did pick it up for like $3 on a Steam sale. Not being fond of Fallout 3 coupled with the timing of its release didn't really help. I didn't really get back into gaming until Catherine, which came out a year later.

Back to Skyrim...I'm still baffled at how I'm infinitely intrigued by Norse mythology, yet loathe high fantasy. Set that game in any other climate/locale and I'm just not interested.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It just seems like required playing for any fan of post apocalyptic stuff.

I mean... you can't just make a turd game and slap a few mushroom clouds on the cover, do the entire game palette in grays, tans and browns, shoehorn a few mutants in there and call it a day but... the new Fallouts were pretty... expansive. And certainly not "Oblivion with guns" like so many people tried to paint them. But obviously... if ya hate it ya hate it.

New Vegas had the advantage of being worked on largely by the original FO 1&2 crew. So the quirkiness, storytelling and atmosphere from the first games were much more prominent. The downside being that it's an Obsidian game... so... bugs. All the bugs. Though of course (largely) not anymore.

Back to Skyrim...I'm still baffled at how I'm infinitely intrigued by Norse mythology, yet loathe high fantasy. Set that game in any other climate/locale and I'm just not interested.

Yeah. High fantasy certainly gets old. Though I'd be lying if I said many of my favorite games of all time weren't in that motif. I think that good storytelling, game mechanics and interesting/challenging combat can "fix" nearly any setting, though. And Skyrim is just... different than most fantasy-set RPGs. Oblivion was the one I was always kind of lukewarm on. Though I put in my 200ish hours, or whatever.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, i hate vehicles. I'm a dumb grunt forever! foot soildiers FTW! Hard getting back into CSGO after 3 months of not playing ANY video games...geez! Aiming is Silver 1 bad at the moment, need time to adjust with my old age (31). My favourite game will always be U2XMP, my first ever MP game i have played, after that probably Quake...got a little into Quake 3, a little into Quake Live but not a lot but it's SOOOOO much fun, i love skill based games. Only play CSGO because it's popular and where the competition is at. Almost as big as Dota 2. I would not mind getting decent at the game but i don't wanna take it seriously at my age, more important things to do.

yeah I have played 2 or 3 matches in the last 2 months. Though I am just spending even more time playing rocket league instead :laugh: I have like 10 other friends who play it, so I can usually find someone else to team up with. Even get enough for group games against each other sometimes. So much more fun than playing with/against randoms. Get a big skype call going and its not far from living room multiplayer fun.

Fools! The both of you!

I kind of see what you are saying about the combat, I guess. Especially their older titles. I suppose it might be kind of clunky for some. I mean... for those who lack motor skills, spacial awareness, a tacticians brain and the like.

You guys didn't even care for FO:NV or Skyrim? I suppose you wouldn't if you didn't like FO3 or Bethesda games, in general. I think the combination of real time FPS and V.A.T.S is generally pretty brilliant and despite the massive differences in the games... still manages to maintain much of the same feel of the original two.

On a side note... aren't there going to be a bunch of limitations in the new Battlefront? I admit I haven't read much about it but I seem to remember a bunch of people griping about stuff when it was announced. Though that's hardly indicative that it's going to be a poor title.

I never played NV because I didn't care for FO3. I have heard its better. My issue with the combat is that it is just incredibly clunky. I am used to games like CS:GO and Bioshock and just can't get into FO3. Skyrim has even worse combat. Just awful.

I am also simply not impressed by big open landscapes. I don't give a **** about exploring. Open world does nothing for me. I long for a return of levels like old school Goldeneye or Tenchu Stealth Assassins. Or just world maps like the first Dragon Age or games like Baldur's Gate or the older final fantasy games. I don't want to run across this big empty field, I want to actually do something. I get the appeal, its just not for me.

Games like Bioshock are good too. Its one world, but its only as big as it needs to be.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oddly enough that's a claim that goes along with many of my favorites of all-time, namely the Bioshock series.

Whether or not I like a Bethesda game seems to be random and largely based on setting...never cared for an Elder Scrolls game until Skyrim, because it's set in a snowy world with a lot of borrowed elements of what I studied while in Denmark. I'm hyped for Bioshock 4 because I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff.

I couldn't get past the gameplay of Bioshock 3, though. Too many things just didn't work well and the mechanics were a little too demanding of what could effectively be pulled off at the time. It also helps that Fallout 3 came out in the midst of my not giving a **** about video games period, but so did Bioshock and that's one of my favorite games of all-time.

I never played New Vegas, though I did pick it up for like $3 on a Steam sale. Not being fond of Fallout 3 coupled with the timing of its release didn't really help. I didn't really get back into gaming until Catherine, which came out a year later.

I'm assuming you are talking about Fallout and not Bioshock?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
yeah I have played 2 or 3 matches in the last 2 months. Though I am just spending even more time playing rocket league instead :laugh: I have like 10 other friends who play it, so I can usually find someone else to team up with. Even get enough for group games against each other sometimes. So much more fun than playing with/against randoms. Get a big skype call going and its not far from living room multiplayer fun.

It's too bad they still have not banned that Flusha guy from Fnatic. Guy cheats at LANs. That's what you call stealing money.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Guys, things to do in or around Pittsburgh from around 13th Oct - 16th.

Been round Heinz Field, PNC Park, Pitt Fort/Park, Incline and the Sub before. What other stuff is there?

Only need to fill one full day and one half.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Guys, things to do in or around Pittsburgh from around 13th Oct - 16th.

Been round Heinz Field, PNC Park, Pitt Fort/Park, Incline and the Sub before. What other stuff is there?

Only need to fill one full day and one half.

Ducky tour. Carnegie or Warhol museums if you're into that stuff. There's a Bike the Burgh tour that day.

here's a list of stuff going on downtown. Lunch at market square would come with live music on the 14th. I would guess you mean you're leaving on the 16th, but if not there is 21+ night at the science center that night. Its a great place, and drinking makes it even better :laugh:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
****ing UPS is supposed to deliver my new turntable today...still haven't showed. I took the day off in part to make sure I was here for it. I would've been home an hour ago normally. At least I was productive otherwise.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ooh! Ooh! Whajaget?!?

And yeah... I know that feel. I get, like... maybe five or six packages all year. To the point where I (like you) will actually take time/the whole day off of work to wait for it like a ten year old kid waiting for his parents to wake up on Christmas. And it NEVER friggin' shows. Or somehow those ******** will ninja outta there and leave a note.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm assuming you are talking about Fallout and not Bioshock?

Uh...yes...woops.

Bioshock 4 would make me ungodly happy...but without Ken Levine it's hard to get as excited for that inevitability (ala Bioshock 2...more fun to play than the original, but otherwise forgettable).

Approaching 1,000...opening up a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig