Big Mac's Bait Shop

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Always get curious about some flowings in the crowd's thinking on the boards. Once upon a time, it was that OEL is the most underrated #1 D and a top-5 D in the league. He's an excellent player but the way people talked about him you'd have thought it's a swedish Niedermayer. Then it was ROR who was a locker room cancer and a greedy piece of **** and now he's basically the best player on the hottest team in the league and then its a general consensus that Stone would be a great fit for any team, any C and people want to offer some serious assets for him. Don't get me wrong, I love all mentioned players but...I don't get where its all coming from? This hype which sometimes makes players look really bad and sometimes makes them out to be the ones they are really not. It's really interesting.

It is interesting, and also interesting to me how, when a whole team is playing poorly, playing lackluster, people think a "trade will shake things up" as if bringing some rental in from outside will dramatically change how the entire roster competes for the rest of the season. I don't see it. I can see how if there is a glaring hole a trade may fill that hole, but changing the entire dynamic of the locker room, not really how this works, IMO.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
It is interesting, and also interesting to me how, when a whole team is playing poorly, playing lackluster, people think a "trade will shake things up" as if bringing some rental in from outside will dramatically change how the entire roster competes for the rest of the season. I don't see it. I can see how if there is a glaring hole a trade may fill that hole, but changing the entire dynamic of the locker room, not really how this works, IMO.
I don't think that it's possible in the same season the club acquired the guy but, overall, I allow the possibility that one or two guys can have a negative impact either on or off the ice and the team's mood and game construction depends on them and falls apart and if you get rid of those guys, especially for a right compensation, it can cure the team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Someone tell me about Dzingle. Seems like a guy breaking out. Would love to keep him if we acquired. I’d pay him over Connolly I think, just on production.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Burakovsky’s play and the 3rd line in general are kinda throwing a monkey wrench in adding to top-9. Orlov-Niskanen was partly broken earlier and now they’re picking it up and, obviously, have SC pedigree as a pairing. It’s a tricky spot for GMBM because it’d be just as easy to make this team worse as it would be to make it better.

A top-9 guy who you’d be comfortable starting off on the 4th line is probably the best bet, so I think that’s what we’ll see. Someone who would excel at 4th line deployments who’d seamlessly move up the roster if needed.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Dreger last night saying that Ottawa is the hold up in the trades right now. Everyone's waiting to see what Ottawa does with Duchene and possibly Stone before they make a move.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think if Hobbs was definitely in the Cap's future, he would be on the Power Play. He isn't even on the 2nd unit.

Thanks for chiming in... than I keep Bowey. Sure Djoos dominates at RD, but who are our long term RH twigs behind Carlson? Maybe by then, our PP setup will be different. Regardless, some GMs like handed balance on that backend.

RH's RHD Current Depth Chart
Carly
Nisky
Bowey
Lewington
?
Hobbs
?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Connor Hobbs.....age 22 (Jan 4 birthday).

Will hit his peak at what, 30? He has only had a year to practice playing hungover, for heavens sake.

Young D are used more and more now (salary cap?), but it wasn't that long ago that it took a D 8-10 years to fully cook. Heck Carlson looked like a rookie to open the game last night.

Was he on PP1 immediately in Hershey? Or was he "learning" from Bourque.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not everyone develops at a breakneck pace. Throw in significant injuries and a little more patience is probably needed. Let him percolate in Hershey until you’re forced to do differently.

Reactions: RandyHolt

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Was he on PP1 immediately in Hershey? Or was he "learning" from Bourque.
There was a lot of rotation last year but Bourque and Ness manned the points primarily. Hobbs, Williams and LuJo held 2nd unit duties

Lately it’s been Ness and Barber on the points PP1 and LuJo and Sproul on the second unit.

Colby Williams has been injured since early January but I’d assume he’d be throw into the mix for that second unit too when he comes back

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There was a lot of rotation last year but Bourque and Ness manned the points primarily. Hobbs, Williams and LuJo held 2nd unit duties

Lately it’s been Ness and Barber on the points PP1 and LuJo and Sproul on the second unit.

Colby Williams has been injured since early January but I’d assume he’d be throw into the mix for that second unit too when he comes back

Thanks for the full breakdown there, but I was actually curious about PP time when Carlson was in Hershey, albeit 5 months IIRC. After Alzner failed at being groomed to be an RD, and was sent back to Hershey.

Carlson got called up to the big leagues, was paired with the nerd Tom Poti, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the full breakdown there, but I was actually curious about PP time when Carlson was in Hershey, albeit 5 months IIRC. After Alzner failed at being groomed to be an RD, and was sent back to Hershey.

Carlson got paired with the nerd Tom Poti, and the rest is history.
I misinterpreted your post wrong. Thought you were talking about Hobbs. Carlson in the other hand was 10 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy. Around that time it had to have been Carlson, Lepisto or Patrick McNeil on the PP with an outside chance of Staffan Kronwall when they traded for him at the TDL for Hershey.

Bourque was definitely on the point on PP1 at the point but I can’t recall who was with him. It would have been a RH shot manning the wall to Bourques left because Giroux had the wall to his right, Aucoin was down low and Graham Mink or Andrew Gordon was in front of the net. My guess would be Carlson was the D on the first unit at that time

Reactions: RandyHolt

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Best line from that article "This is another example of the dangers of trading future first-round picks".

Shattenkirk, Shattenkirk, Shattenkirk

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I misinterpreted your post wrong. Thought you were talking about Hobbs. Carlson in the other hand was 10 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy. Around that time it had to have been Carlson, Lepisto or Patrick McNeil on the PP with an outside chance of Staffan Kronwall when they traded for him at the TDL for Hershey....

Thanks for that great detail. What I was wondering about, was Carlson stuck behind someone for PP duties himself, and if so, maybe we shouldn't read too much into Hobbs current non-usage.

Orlov barely gets any PP time but sure seems cut from the type of player to excel there. Sometimes, it about more than the player. Its handedness, passing slot vs shooting; zone entry guy, other players on the roster etc.

I am high on Hobbs because I like the total package. Hard shots hard hits hard punches - hard to play against. Last year reaffirmed to me that being physically imposing can be a factor in winning a series.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad