Big Mac's Bait Shop

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hurts me to see these Hobbs negative remarks. Kinda like Matty Perr. back in the day, he’s been a dark horse favorite prospect of mine to make the big club.

No chance injuries have simply been derailing him?
It’s tough to say because you never truly know what injury they actually have. “Upper Body Injury” or “Lower Body Injury” isn’t very descriptive but he hasn’t missed a ton of time this year. He has a bigger and thicker build than a lot of D do. He has definitely improved upon last season but his skating hasn’t been great, especially of late. There also hasn’t been a huge wow factor in terms of offensive production either. He has a HUGE shot but he rarely uses it. Now that could be a product of the system more so than his own doing. You do notice that D rarely use a slap shot anymore. The wrist shot through traffic seems to be the new norm, especially to set up a deflection

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Holtby's UFA status is exactly why Samsonov needs (and probably will be) his backup next season and get 20-25 games.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Look who you are asking. That should be all you need to know.

Opinion. In all of its glory. Which is just fine, right?
You clearly triggered from my post about you in a roster discussion thread and now going after my posts in a different thread to stir something up. Funny :laugh:. Now that I had a good laugh about it, welcome to ignore list. :rolleyes:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You clearly triggered from my post about you in a roster discussion thread and now going after my posts in a different thread to stir something up. Funny :laugh:. Now that I had a good laugh about it, welcome to ignore list. :rolleyes:

You mention triggering....yet you were the one that needed to mention me in the first place, out of the blue. Huh. Also ironic.

So please.....go ahead and put me on ignore....so you can hide from another person that knows your comments are a waste of time. That suits you.

Vaya con dios—

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holtby's UFA status is exactly why Samsonov needs (and probably will be) his backup next season and get 20-25 games.

Realistically speaking 20-25 games against managed opponents isn't going to create a comfort zone. It proves very little about readiness to carry a team to a Stanley Cup

Apr 6, 2004
Siege should have plenty of value if you think about it.

What type of deal gets done that involves him and would ultimately outweigh his current and future value to the team? He's an asset that you package with a first for a Shattenduece type of deal .... there isn't one of those to be made.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If the Caps traded a still productive Bondra who clearly didn't want to go, they can trade Holtby.
Caps were 3 seasons away from being competitive and Bondra was 3 years away from retirement. There's literally nothing these two situations have in common other than they both involve the Capitals.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What type of deal gets done that involves him and would ultimately outweigh his current and future value to the team? He's an asset that you package with a first for a Shattenduece type of deal .... there isn't one of those to be made.
Those guys in Ottawa look like that exact type of deal, at least to me.

Siege is one of many LDs for Caps. Thats a matter of fact. One more season with Djoos as LD - and there will be another LD ready. Caps lose little in terms of defense.

And they aim for good forward. 1st + Siege certainly could be a good price for a top rental.

Top rental now is good, because it adds to Caps chances. In 2-3 years down the road (when Ovi is in Russia and Holtby is in beer league, you know) matured Siege won't add much because a chance for the cup will be much less overall. Slim to none.

Should be considered.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
No issue in letting Siege go in a trade. I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers, but having seen him in over 50 games in Hershey, his upside is limited. He frequently is skated around, isn't quick, and lacks hustle at times. Will he even be a 3rd pair D in the NHL? Not sure he's a top pair D in the AHL.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
No issue in letting Siege go in a trade. I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers, but having seen him in over 50 games in Hershey, his upside is limited. He frequently is skated around, isn't quick, and lacks hustle at times. Will he even be a 3rd pair D in the NHL? Not sure he's a top pair D in the AHL.
Way too early to give up on Siege, he's just 21. Liked what I saw of him when he was playing with the Caps and imho he has passed Bowey. Takes a while for d to develop. Wasn't there a time when Vrana was in Hershey and he had issues especially when he returned to Hershey after spending time with the parent club. Didn't Vrana have a bit of a tantrum where he left the arena during a game to walk around the outside of the arena. We're talking about young players, who are maturing both on and off the ice and still developing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Shop Burakovsky, Bowey, and any defensive prospect except AlexAlex. Hobbs might be the defensive prospect I'm next least likely to move, given the rarity of RH defensemen with snarl in the game.

I'd rather not move any F prospects, given the dearth of them in the system. You've built the defensive depth in the system, now use it.

Reactions: Bananas

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Those guys in Ottawa look like that exact type of deal, at least to me.

Siege is one of many LDs for Caps. Thats a matter of fact. One more season with Djoos as LD - and there will be another LD ready. Caps lose little in terms of defense.

And they aim for good forward. 1st + Siege certainly could be a good price for a top rental.

Top rental now is good, because it adds to Caps chances. In 2-3 years down the road (when Ovi is in Russia and Holtby is in beer league, you know) matured Siege won't add much because a chance for the cup will be much less overall. Slim to none.

Should be considered.
The only potential rentals I see that are worth anything close to a 1st are Stone and maybe Duchene. Stone would be an absurdly good fit on Backstrom's RW.

Reactions: Bananas

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I've never been able to find anything that backs up his bio re: working for the Caps.

He is really fast, bust his butt all over the ice, very noticeable player, and immediately becomes the 2nd leader goal scorer (5th in points) if he joins the Caps. Only real negative is he is rental because I don't think the Caps have the dollars to keep.

Either he or Nyqvist would be excellent additions.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Revisiting the Marcus Johansson trade to the Devils. I know at the time, many believed that BMAC screwed up this one as we believed he should have gotten more than just the 2nd and 3rd round picks that he had received from the Devils or he could have somehow had GMGM take MAJO in the expansion draft rather than Nate Schmidt. Just the same, those picks from the Devils have been used to obtain Kempny from the Hawks and Defenseman Martin Fehervary in the last draft. In hindsight, need to tip your hat to BMAC on this one, especially in light of the injuries MAJO has experienced and his play this year has had some Devils fans not long ago posting that the Caps had snookered the Devils in that trade. We'll see what they get for MAJO, as teams usually over pay at the TDL, but the Caps definitely won that trade.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Always get curious about some flowings in the crowd's thinking on the boards. Once upon a time, it was that OEL is the most underrated #1 D and a top-5 D in the league. He's an excellent player but the way people talked about him you'd have thought it's a swedish Niedermayer. Then it was ROR who was a locker room cancer and a greedy piece of shit and now he's basically the best player on the hottest team in the league and then its a general consensus that Stone would be a great fit for any team, any C and people want to offer some serious assets for him. Don't get me wrong, I love all mentioned players but...I don't get where its all coming from? This hype which sometimes makes players look really bad and sometimes makes them out to be the ones they are really not. It's really interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->