Big Mac's Bait Shop

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Who did that pick turn into?
St. Louis parlayed the pick into part of the Brayden Schenn trade with the Flyers. Flyers used it to draft Center Morgan Frost. Who knows who the Caps would have drafted but the Finnish Tolvanen was drafted by Nashville 3 picks later. Did Shattenkirk help the Caps advance in the playoffs that season?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Most here were ok with paying for KSK. He didnt pan out. **** happens.
Unnecessary trade. Almost boiled down to one of those baseball acquisitions at their TDL where you pick up a player just so your opponent doesn't get them.

Most winners at the TDL are the sellers.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
St. Louis parlayed the pick into part of the Brayden Schenn trade with the Flyers. Flyers used it to draft Center Morgan Frost. Who knows who the Caps would have drafted but the Finnish Tolvanen was drafted by Nashville 3 picks later. Did Shattenkirk help the Caps advance in the playoffs that season?
There was an WHL D that Chicago took 2 picks later Caps love those

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Thanks for that great detail. What I was wondering about, was Carlson stuck behind someone for PP duties himself, and if so, maybe we shouldn't read too much into Hobbs current non-usage.

Orlov barely gets any PP time but sure seems cut from the type of player to excel there. Sometimes, it about more than the player. Its handedness, passing slot vs shooting; zone entry guy, other players on the roster etc.

I am high on Hobbs because I like the total package. Hard shots hard hits hard punches - hard to play against. Last year reaffirmed to me that being physically imposing can be a factor in winning a series.

Hobbs was seeing PP2 time in Hershey while LuJo was out and looked good. He has a canon for a shot and makes good decisions offensively. He has had some injury issues that have lingered a little as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Unnecessary trade. Almost boiled down to one of those baseball acquisitions at their TDL where you pick up a player just so your opponent doesn't get them.

Most winners at the TDL are the sellers.

The problem with trade was always the Carlson/locker room effect. They paid too high a price to stick Shattenkirk on the 3rd pair and the 2nd pp unit. So, they moved Carlson who was core and was staying and that upset the entire balance. If it was worth a first round pick to keep Shatty from a rival they should have just put him on the 2nd pp as support.

Most sellers at the deadline get nothing for what they sell. Get get a few more rolls of the dice. The out of the playoffs teams aren't missing anything. A playoff team selling like St Louis did is not nearly so clear.

More and more teams in the playoffs are looking at their pending ufa as incoming rentals. Most pending ufa have value just in their cap space anyway

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad