Post-Game Talk: Big L (Habs 3-6 Panthers)

Donkey Of The Game (DOTG: 17/02/2019)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We were 20 points back of Boston at the all star break. I never said we would catch Boston. You're making things up.

Oh really? Remember, I said mid-January, so no wonder you're jumping to 5 weeks later. Im gonna give you a chance to retract this dismisal or do you really wish to be humiliated so?

I have your old quote handy in a file. Unadultered. I havent checked if you edited that post. Id pipe down if i were you and just let it go. And admit.

Remember the Fallin for Dahlin thread????

Want me to quote you???

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Oh really? Remember, I said mid-January, so no wonder you're jumping to 5 weeks later. Im gonna give you a chance to retract this dismisal or do you really wish to be humiliated so?

I have your old quote handy in a file. Unadultered. I havent checked if you edited that post. Id pipe down if i were you and just let it go. And admit.

Remember the Fallin for Dahlin thread????

Want me to quote you???

Yes - please quote me. Go ahead and timestamp it too.

Go and show where I seriously claimed in "mid january" that we would win 10 games in a row and catch Boston.

Make sure you're not quoting a post of mine that happened weeks later in february where i was sarcastically responding to everyone and claiming we'd win 10-20 in a row and finish 1st, or some such thing. Such posts probably did happen, but obviously weren't serious. Go find the first posts in mid-january as you say.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes - please quote me. Go ahead and timestamp it too.

Go and show where I seriously claimed in "mid january" that we would win 10 games in a row and catch Boston.

Make sure you're not quoting a post of mine that happened weeks later in february where i was sarcastically responding to everyone and claiming we'd win 10-20 in a row and finish 1st, or some such thing. Such posts probably did happen, but obviously weren't serious. Go find the first posts in mid-january as you say.

I never said 10 games in a row.

That's somebody else.

In mid-january (2018), you said what we needed to concentrate on was to catch Boston because we had a lot of games left against them. It was a ridiculous statement as Boston was 10+ points ahead of us at that point.

Do you deny this?

Both instances, the one with the 10 game winning streak told by another poster, and my own example of you with that Boston comment, both illustrate the same thing. That's the point.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think Gallagher gets you a hell of a haul, and it prevents you from overpaying on him in two years and possibly having him injure himself again and losing value.

Drouin still has value and I think a Domi type swap isn't out of the question.

We're not doing a full blonw rebuild, and were not doing a full blown contender thing, so holding onto assets for nothing doesn't help either.
Habs are so doing something. They are participating. :sarcasm:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I never said 10 games in a row.

That's somebody else.

In mid-january (2018), you said what we needed to concentrate on was to catch Boston because we had a lot of games left against them. It was a ridiculous statement as Boston was 10+ points ahead of us at that point.

Do you deny this?

Both instances, the one with the 10 game winning streak told by another poster, and my own example of you with that Boston comment, both illustrate the same thing. That's the point.

Yes i deny this.

My premise was Toronto not Boston. It was at the all star break not in mid january.

And it was predicated on the fact that Tor was a young team who could still falther and go on a losing streak and how trying to stay within reach could give us an opening

It didnt happen Tor remained consistent all year but the premise made sense. Just look at Colorado this year - young team and they fell out of the race which opened the door for Dallas and St Louis in the central. Good thing those 2 teams didnt give up in early January...

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes i deny this.

My premise was Toronto not Boston. It was at the all star break not in mid january.

And it was predicated on the fact that Tor was a young team who could still falther and go on a losing streak and how trying to stay within reach could give us an opening

It didnt happen Tor remained consistent all year but the premise made sense. Just look at Colorado this year - young team and they fell out of the race which opened the door for Dallas and St Louis in the central. Good thing those 2 teams didnt give up in early January...
So you are saying your prediction could have been right.....if it wasn't wrong. :sarcasm:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Runner those are egregious plays but go take a look at the Panthers third goal. Drouin skates next to the eventual goal scorer and stands there expecting his mere presence to scare the b'jesus out of him. He does not poke check, does not get in the way of the pass, just stands there like a lamp post on skates. This player has zero hockey IQ. I never thought I would say this but JD is making me long for the days of Pacioretty's skate-bys. I know I'm going overboard but JD is the NHLplayer I dislike the most. You put up three videos. You could have put up another twenty of his atrocious play just in one period.

AND AMONG ALL OUR FORWARDS THE COACHING STAFF GAVE HIM THE MOST ICE TIME!

I'm just flabbergasted. There is something I am not seeing.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Lose how? A trade can be built around him. Maybe they have to add depending on the asset(s) involved. Look for redundancy in another organization's depth chart. And so on. One never knows the outcome of a structured negotiation with multiple parties. Drouin is not exactly a leper.
Carolina is looking for forwards and is stacked on defence. That's one team!

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Runner those are egregious plays but go take a look at the Panthers third goal. Drouin skates next to the eventual goal scorer and stands there expecting his mere presence to scare the b'jesus out of him. He does not poke check, does not get in the way of the pass, just stands there like a lamp post on skates. This player has zero hockey IQ. I never thought I would say this but JD is making me long for the days of Pacioretty's skate-bys. I know I'm going overboard but JD is the NHLplayer I dislike the most. You put up three videos. You could have put up another twenty of his atrocious play just in one period.

AND AMONG ALL OUR FORWARDS THE COACHING STAFF GAVE HIM THE MOST ICE TIME!

I'm just flabbergasted. There is something I am not seeing.

On the first tweet, you can see something that Drouin has been criticize for recently....he simply refuse to take the hit and just got rid of the puck. I've seen it many times this year from Drouin.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There were French players we could’ve gone after when Desharnais was here too. It seems during the Bergevin era, they need to have a pet and Drouin has been anointed that by management, whether that be him being given a chance to play center for an entire season when he clearly wasn’t one, the contract he was gifted after a season in the league, or the price they were willing to pay to acquire him in a trade when Tampa was clearly not in a position of strength with the expansion draft. Things would have to go horribly wrong for them to admit they made a mistake with this guy. Until then, we’re stuck with him. He’ll do something pretty every once in a while but he’s an absolute mess in his own end. How we gave him center ice responsibilities for an entire year amazes me. You don’t have to look far to see what combination of things saw us in a lottery position last season, although Price made a good meatshield.

I may be going off on a limb here but perhaps there's some reason to Julien's madness. Perhaps, I said.

Just before they cut Agostino loose, Julien put him on the PP. Maybe that's what Julien is doing. Giving Drouin all the rope in the world to hang himself. Wants to see how the player reacts. The way he was trying to see if there was something else to Agostino's play maybe he is doing the same with Drouin. Wants to see if he responds well to more responsibility

I know I'm clutching at straws but that's all I can think of after the coaching staff rewardd Drouin with the most ice time and PK duties while he played a completely atrocious game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
On the first tweet, you can see something that Drouin has been criticize for recently....he simply refuse to take the hit and just got rid of the puck. I've seen it many times this year from Drouin.
Milhouse, in my books that's the least of worries I have with this player. He has way more serious issues.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Milhouse, in my books that's the least of worries I have with this player. He has way more serious issues.

Having balls is something that can't be teach or can't be developped. So alhtough there's biggest problems. I'm more scared of the things that can't be learn

Reactions: Habs Icing

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Drouin may be different. The French media are disenchanted with him.
Desharnais for all his flaws definitely was a bit of an over achiever on this team.

Drouin is the opposite. So far.

I ain't trippin on the loss tho, we'll be back to spanking momentarily.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So you are saying your prediction could have been right.....if it wasn't wrong. :sarcasm:

There was never any prediction involved. I always said it was much more likely we don't make the playoffs, than we do. All I ever said is it was too early to give up.

It was a call to counter all the negativity around here.

ie "it's too early to fully give up on the season and talk about tanking - let's try to be positive and optimistic a bit longer and hope we can turn it around".

1 year later and i made a very similar comment in this thread. Ie the sky isn't falling, we're still in a playoff spot, it's not all doom and gloom and we shouldn't always be glass half empty (or fully empty) and give up and assume the season is over. Which many of you are doing.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Drouin rarely gets his jersey wrinkled, he is like Tomas Plekanec in that area. He really needs to go, if there is some way that we san sucker a GM into taking him we have to go for it.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Drouin rarely gets his jersey wrinkled, he is like Tomas Plekanec in that area. He really needs to go, if there is some way that we san sucker a GM into taking him we have to go for it.
I hear he leaves the locker room without taking a shower and smells like roses.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
How do we know exactly who's looking to buy?
As of right now there's 7 or 8 western teams in the race for a wildcard spot. 4 in the East excluding us. That's 23 teams total in a position to make the playoffs. While not all of them might be looking to buy, that's still a pretty big pool to fish in.

Well you said it yourself, not everyone is looking to buy. We're even in a playoff spot, are we open to trading our top prospects? I hope not!

Agreed. As for Tatar, I'll use another point you expressed in your initial post. If selling Petry, as productive as he's been, represents a massive shakeup, then clearly this team is not anywhere near a position to win(not just a series but a Cup) anytime soon. Tatar while not old is still 28, what are the odds he'll be as effective in 3, 4 years? We're already seeing signs of slowing down with Pacioretty. Could Tatar be one of those who buck the trend? Possible, who knows. I think it'd be foolish not to consider him an option simply because he's having success now, when we're still so far.

The loss of Petry represents a big shake up given how already weak our D core is.

I think our difference of opinion stems from our difference in outlook as well. I think the sell till you get enough picks that "somebody, anybody, please" ends up elite is not really in our best interest. I think whatever we gain in that we'd lose in Weber and Price's age and ultimately find ourselves in same position 5-6 years from now. I consider habs a bubble team with an above average prospect pool. We don't always include him because he's in the NHL already but Kotkaniemi is also part of that new wave. At 28 Tatar is even considered a vet on our young forward core because lots of the players are young. A few good moves, signings and this team can be a well-balanced playoff team. I don't propose we'd be as good as Tampa but I don't see it in the cards right now. Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevskiy, etc....it's ridiculously well stacked. Trying to compete with this head on and pray is a little bit of a failure IMO.

I'm all for adding top talent but i'm also encouraged by the fact habs have had several high picks in last few years(I mean top 3 rounds) so we did increase our chances of acquiring better talent through the draft. At this point I believe if habs are out of a spot and struggling only Shaw, Byron, Benn are the expendable ones with value. It wouldn't case a huge shake up and guys like Suzuki, Poehling or other UFAs may be able to bridge the gap. I'd miss Byron's speed though.

I'd also be open to pulling another Mason trade where we use our capspace to help a team for a price. Callahan in TB may be one of those guys come the off-season.

I just don't see the logic in moves that put us too many steps back. 1 step back, 2 steps forward. Not 2-3 or 4 steps back.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Petry as been putrid for a while.

I knew he would lost his balls again now that Weber is back.
Huh? Hes been bad for the past 2 games. He was our best dman against the Leafs. Weber on the other looks like he aged 40 years lately. Here comes the Petry hate with 2 bad games after months of stellar hockey even with Weber back lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad