Post-Game Talk: Big L (Habs 3-6 Panthers)

Donkey Of The Game (DOTG: 17/02/2019)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't know if the timing was right for Pacioretty in a vacuum -- it was only right in retrospect since the haul MB got was unexpected. What if Pacioretty had not agreed to an extension with his new team, just as he balked when MB was trying to move him to the LAK? I think the best time to have traded him should have been when he had more term. However, the argument is academic at this point due in large part to the quality and number of assets MB was able to secure for him during a contentious time when MB had no choice but to trade the player under the gun.
Absolutely and I was pretty vocal about idea when debates about waiting for draft day to trade him came about. Luckily, it turned out fine in the end but as you said, Pacioretty with two playoffs left before hitting the end of his term instead of one and under control for an entire year was, in a vacuum, the more favourable time. Personally I think a year prior would've been optimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
People blaming a 6-3 loss on one guy, lol. That was such a collection of bad plays, unmotivated players and bad goaltending.. how on earth can you single out one turd?
three guys where atrocious. niemi, droiun and ben

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Does anyone here really want to watch this team get swept by Tampa in round 1 ? Would be alot worse than finishing in the basement. At least then we'd get a high pick. Unfortunately that's the way the system is set up.
Did you mean Leafs or Tampa?

Anyway, you have a novel idea. This team could try to lose games instead of winning games. So there could be a higher not lower draft pick! I don't know if there's a standard expression for this. Really, why didn't anyone think of this before?

Too late, you're trying to get to the playoffs. Deal.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I think management owe this group who tried to win all season, to let them try to win. That doesn’t mean we buy at the deadline, but get rid of the obvious expiring contracts. Acquire picks and prospects. If they fail, they fail, if they don’t, playoff experience is great. But I wouldn’t purposefully set them up for failure by “tanking”

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think management owe this group who tried to win all season, to let them try to win. That doesn’t mean we buy at the deadline, but get rid of the obvious expiring contracts. Acquire picks and prospects. If they fail, they fail, if they don’t, playoff experience is great. But I wouldn’t purposefully set them up for failure by “tanking”

I feel same way...unless someone is willing to overpay for say Byron or Shaw then I'd be listening. We have a lot of forwards as is with Poehling and Suzuki likely to compete for a spot next year. So if someone wants to overpay for one of them I'd be all ears.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Losing a road game to Nashville, after a 5 day rest? That doesn't bother me too much. I would; however, like to see some comparison data on how other teams respond to long rests. Perhaps Claude & Co. can learn some new techniques to keep our guys in game shape? Poor performances after long rests, have been a continual issue for this team all season.

Losing a road game to Tampa Bay? That doesn't concern me much either. They are the #1 team in the league, after all. We did beat Winnipeg at home not long ago...

But not leaving Florida with at least a point, and actually getting blown out against the Panthers? I find this very concerning!

Reactions: calder candidate

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Hold off Pitts and Carolina for a wild card and let the team learn by playing 4 playoff games.

I think it's fortunate for us, that there are only 9 teams currently looking like playoff contenders in the east. We only need to beat one of them.

Also, back in August, I remember watching a season preview for the Penguins. Someone in the comment section of the video wrote: "I expect Pittsburgh to miss the playoffs this season." I was shocked at the thought! But it looks like this fellow may yet be proven right.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Losing a road game to Nashville, after a 5 day rest? That doesn't bother me too much. I would; however, like to see some comparison data on how other teams respond to long rests. Perhaps Claude & Co. can learn some new techniques to keep our guys in game shape? Poor performances after long rests, have been a continual issue for this team all season.

Losing a road game to Tampa Bay? That doesn't concern me much either. They are the #1 team in the league, after all. We did beat Winnipeg at home not long ago...

But not leaving Florida with at least a point, and actually getting blown out against the Panthers? I find this very concerning!
Worth noting the Jets were on a losing streak that included two losses to the Sens in a week.

Unlike Montreal, Florida usually plays well down the stretch (and miss play offs by a point or two).

Was not that surprised they beat the Habs in Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: Licentia

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think it's fortunate for us, that there are only 9 teams currently looking like playoff contenders in the east. We only need to beat one of them.

Also, back in August, I remember watching a season preview for the Penguins. Someone in the comment section of the video wrote: "I expect Pittsburgh to miss the playoffs this season." I was shocked at the thought! But it looks like this fellow may yet be proven right.
Pens will make play offs. Always finish season strong.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Gonna look up an old laptop, seriously?

Here's the quote for you. Took me all of 6 minutes to find it online.

Failing for Dahlin / The Official Tank Thread

No mention of Boston nor of any 10 game winning streak. And it wasn't mid-january, it was during the all star break. I still stand by every comment I made in the first few pages.

What I said was it's still possible to go on a run and make the playoffs - we needed either a win streak (5 games) or a team ahead of us (say Toronto) to lose 4-5 in a row and start to fall out for us to make a run and close the gap.

When I said that - we were closer to a playoff spot than Philly was at the same point in 2019. Clearly you now believe Philly has a good shot at overtaking us in the playoff race this year, so what I said was fully plausible, even if it didn't happen.

No prediction involved - just a cry to counter all the negativity and pessimism that was present during last season on here (and still is this year - even though we're in a playoff spot - as evidenced by the negativity in this thread).
"Countering The negativity" really ? The negativity is created by years of piss poor results by this current Ownership/Management ......not this thread.

Check out Boards of Lightening, Leafs, Bruins, Jets, Vegas, Sharks, Islanders, Flames etc. You wont see tank threads.

They are what they are......an organization where at the very least, tanking has been an option well worth considering.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
whats sadly lost in this, is a few brought their a level of effort , like gallagher as always, domi, tatar.
Yep.......3 small 2nd liners out of 20 players . "PLAY -OFFS" ? "PLAY -OFFS" ?? ;)

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

poor performance in nashville ? it was 1-1 with 12 minutes left in the third, we were most definately IN that game till the end. We didnt lose that game on poor performance we lost in on one or two bad mistakes.

I'd say the same for tampa with ( coincidentally) the same player making the same mistake.

the two losses suck not because wer had bad performances, but because we didnt.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
poor performance in nashville ? it was 1-1 with 12 minutes left in the third, we were most definately IN that game till the end. We didnt lose that game on poor performance we lost in on one or two bad mistakes.

I'd say the same for tampa with ( coincidentally) the same player making the same mistake.

the two losses suck not because wer had bad performances, but because we didnt.
They cant score....in a league where scoring is up.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004

I understand what you mean. It's just that, had we not had a 5 day rest prior to the game, the outcome likely would have been in our favour. I didn't specifically say that we had a poor performance in Nashville. What I meant is, that we've not had much success this season playing after long rests. Those mistakes might not have happened, if we had only a 2 day rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad