Post-Game Talk: Big L (Habs 3-6 Panthers)

Donkey Of The Game (DOTG: 17/02/2019)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Here's another stats.....and it's telling about Drouin:
Normally the D are leading in that category........

In 2016 -2017: Drouin was -13....worst of the Tampa team, including the D
In 2017-2018: Drouin was -28....3rd worst on the team behind Galchenyuk and Petry
In 2018-2019: Drouin is -3....Only regular forward in the minus on the this

That's not a coincidence at this point

I'm not a big fan of plus minus as a metric of defensive acumen. I have my eyes for that. I have conferred with both of them, they are of the unanimous opinion that he sucks defensively.

Reactions: Milhouse40

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I’d leave drouin in Florida too. “Here, you want to take it easy, take a week off and go to the beach because that’s how you act like when your on the ice”

I’ve beem obnoxiously adamant since day one that, 1: **** that fat ****face whiny piece of ****. 2: I really, really, really hate that man. And 3: not the right coach for the time.

But even I have to admit, can’t complain about him this season. Don’t care if it’s because he has new assistants or not. But I’ve stowed my raging about julien. For now.

Although the last few games it’s been dump and chase again.... :rant:

you know its hard to figure out what your position really is when you cloak it in all these vague euphamisms.

why don't you come out and tell us how you REALLY feel about drouin ?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
People blaming a 6-3 loss on one guy, lol. That was such a collection of bad plays, unmotivated players and bad goaltending.. how on earth can you single out one turd?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh really? Remember, I said mid-January, so no wonder you're jumping to 5 weeks later. Im gonna give you a chance to retract this dismisal or do you really wish to be humiliated so?

I have your old quote handy in a file. Unadultered. I havent checked if you edited that post. Id pipe down if i were you and just let it go. And admit.

Remember the Fallin for Dahlin thread????

Want me to quote you???

H87m7IA.gif

:sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't have access to my laptop right now.

He did write that. I remember it quite well.

I'm not disputing that. I thought you might have found it funny that he was this close to getting called "BUB".

What happened to your sense of humor? You usually have one. :wg:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm not disputing that. I thought you might have found it funny that he was this close to getting called "BUB".

What happened to your sense of humor? You usually have one. :wg:

Im just flabbergasted he hasnt admitted it (doesnt anybody else remember that?) so now im a little peeved I have to reboot an old laptop if i want to prove a point.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Im just flabbergasted he hasnt admitted it (doesnt anybody else remember that?) so now im a little peeved I have to reboot an old laptop if i want to prove a point.

I don't care about that. Just wanna know if he's going to get the "BUB" treatment. :D

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Here is what he posted:

There's 35 games left.

When we have 20 games left i'll agree. With 35 games left and only 3 teams vying for 3 spots - if any of them drop off there's an opening (obviously Boston/Tampa are too far gone now, so it's just Toronto).

Also - let's stop being so realistic/cautious. Let's be optimistic.
The habs win their next 5 games. Colorado - a team everyone called complete garbage - just won 10 in a row. So it's not all that implausible that we win our next 5 games. Let's pretend Toronto goes 2-2 in their next 4 games.

Don't you think that winning 5 games in a row puts us right back in the race?

53 games 56 points. Toronto 53 games 60 points. 2 head to heads to go.

There's too much season left to say it's unrealistic or to give up.

Failing for Dahlin / The Official Tank Thread

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There was never any prediction involved. I always said it was much more likely we don't make the playoffs, than we do. All I ever said is it was too early to give up.

It was a call to counter all the negativity around here.

ie "it's too early to fully give up on the season and talk about tanking - let's try to be positive and optimistic a bit longer and hope we can turn it around".

1 year later and i made a very similar comment in this thread. Ie the sky isn't falling, we're still in a playoff spot, it's not all doom and gloom and we shouldn't always be glass half empty (or fully empty) and give up and assume the season is over. Which many of you are doing.
If someone is a fan of tanking they are a fan of tanking. They could explain their reasoning as well as you just explained yours for not tanking.

Agree to disagree.

Habs have won one play off round in four years. (3 in the last 8 years) Making the play offs means shit if you dont compete once you get there.

There was a time when tanking was unheard for the Montreal Canadiens. Now, it woulod be welcomed by many. As long as the rebuild is done by a new GM I'm for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't have access to my laptop right now.

He did write that. I remember it quite well.

Gonna look up an old laptop, seriously?

Here's the quote for you. Took me all of 6 minutes to find it online.

Failing for Dahlin / The Official Tank Thread

No mention of Boston nor of any 10 game winning streak. And it wasn't mid-january, it was during the all star break. I still stand by every comment I made in the first few pages.

What I said was it's still possible to go on a run and make the playoffs - we needed either a win streak (5 games) or a team ahead of us (say Toronto) to lose 4-5 in a row and start to fall out for us to make a run and close the gap.

When I said that - we were closer to a playoff spot than Philly was at the same point in 2019. Clearly you now believe Philly has a good shot at overtaking us in the playoff race this year, so what I said was fully plausible, even if it didn't happen.

No prediction involved - just a cry to counter all the negativity and pessimism that was present during last season on here (and still is this year - even though we're in a playoff spot - as evidenced by the negativity in this thread).

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes but the trade deadline is coming and decisions will have to be made by then. 3 games this week that might be a determining factor on what happens on the 25th.

This week's games are the new critical threshold, although it was quite sobering to see how those Florida teams flashed firepower when they needed it and we had no answer for it. Used to be that great goaltending could beat great scorers. Isn't that why they ascribed win stats to goalies? That is not the case anymore. Give me elite goal scorers and a good enough goalie and it seems to me, that's a better blueprint for success.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Byron is skating and apparently close to coming back.

Now, if Byron came back on or after Feb. 25th, there would no longer be a roster squeeze.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The loss of Petry represents a big shake up given how already weak our D core is.

I think our difference of opinion stems from our difference in outlook as well. I think the sell till you get enough picks that "somebody, anybody, please" ends up elite is not really in our best interest. I think whatever we gain in that we'd lose in Weber and Price's age and ultimately find ourselves in same position 5-6 years from now. I consider habs a bubble team with an above average prospect pool. We don't always include him because he's in the NHL already but Kotkaniemi is also part of that new wave. At 28 Tatar is even considered a vet on our young forward core because lots of the players are young. A few good moves, signings and this team can be a well-balanced playoff team. I don't propose we'd be as good as Tampa but I don't see it in the cards right now. Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevskiy, etc....it's ridiculously well stacked. Trying to compete with this head on and pray is a little bit of a failure IMO.

I'm all for adding top talent but i'm also encouraged by the fact habs have had several high picks in last few years(I mean top 3 rounds) so we did increase our chances of acquiring better talent through the draft. At this point I believe if habs are out of a spot and struggling only Shaw, Byron, Benn are the expendable ones with value. It wouldn't case a huge shake up and guys like Suzuki, Poehling or other UFAs may be able to bridge the gap. I'd miss Byron's speed though.

I'd also be open to pulling another Mason trade where we use our capspace to help a team for a price. Callahan in TB may be one of those guys come the off-season.

I just don't see the logic in moves that put us too many steps back. 1 step back, 2 steps forward. Not 2-3 or 4 steps back.

This is my point.
If the defense is so weak that losing Petry represents a massive shakeup for the team, then clearly it's not close to being where it needs to be. A Cup winning lineup has enough quality and depth throughout to mitigate the loss of their #1D, they would barely bat an eye if they lost a #3.

Meaning by the time we'd be ready and we kept all of them, losing guys like Petry and Tatar might not represent as big as losses or step backs as you are portraying it to be. There's a stark difference from the Pacioretty this year and the one from 3, 4 years ago. Hence why it was a good move to cut bait at the right time. It's all about timing.

Reactions: cphabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is my point.
If the defense is so weak that losing Petry represents a massive shakeup for the team, then clearly it's not close to being where it needs to be. A Cup winning lineup has enough quality and depth throughout to mitigate the loss of their #1D, they would barely bat an eye if they lost a #3.

Meaning by the time we'd be ready and we kept all of them, losing guys like Petry and Tatar might not represent as big as losses or step backs as you are portraying it to be. There's a stark difference from the Pacioretty this year and the one from 3, 4 years ago. Hence why it was a good move to cut bait at the right time. It's all about timing.

I don't know if the timing was right for Pacioretty in a vacuum -- it was only right in retrospect since the haul MB got was unexpected. What if Pacioretty had not agreed to an extension with his new team, just as he balked when MB was trying to move him to the LAK? I think the best time to have traded him should have been when he had more term. However, the argument is academic at this point due in large part to the quality and number of assets MB was able to secure for him during a contentious time when MB had no choice but to trade the player under the gun.

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
Wow i just saw Barkovs goal. Mete was soft and Price was lying on the ice. But what hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad