Big Jump In Season Ticket Prices

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
He’s right you’re wrong you see that right?
You want STH then shut up and pay up quite simple.
Us cheap folks don’t give a rats ass about STH
Truth
Wow. Must have touched a nerve. Can't afford a hundred bucks to watch your team? Maybe change careers or get a second job assuming you have a first one.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Wow. Must have touched a nerve. Can't afford a hundred bucks to watch your team? Maybe change careers or get a second job assuming you have a first one.
YOU are the one complaining
Bet it’s stretching your wallet thin
BTW I’m going Sunday
Private suite $219.75
Didn’t pay a dime
Won’t buy my own drinks or food
Is this a great country or what

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Someone must enjoy your company :thumbu:
All kidding aside I have benefited through business and it’s been nice.
And I do care about the season ticket base and holders.
What grinds my gears are the STH martyrs who want to pass the burden on to others because it’s obviously bothering them at some level.
The community concept of group STH holders works out nicely for a city like ours.
It’s never going to be inexpensive and I think TNSE was clear it wouldn’t be.
I hope ultimately this Jets2.0 flies and I think it will but losing a team ultimately is not the end of the world as us older folks know.
I am glad there are folks like you who knew what they signed up for and take it in stride.
I prefer to spend my income on other endeavours.
It’s all good and I wish no one malice not for one minit :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What grinds my gears are the STH martyrs who want to pass the burden on to others because it’s obviously bothering them at some level.
The community concept of group STH holders works out nicely for a city like ours.
I hope ultimately this Jets2.0 flies and I think it will but losing a team ultimately is not the end of the world as us older folks know.
I am glad there are folks like you who knew what they signed up for and take it in stride.
I'll agree on most of your points except the piece about losing our team. When we got our team back I promised myself I'd do everything I could to make sure they never left again. And I'm willing to pay the money to make sure it never happens again. What can I say I love watching NHL hockey. I love being there live. I love talking about hockey. And IMO at least having a NHL is a significant quality of life plus for Winnipeg.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'll agree on most of your points except the piece about losing our team. When we got our team back I promised myself I'd do everything I could to make sure they never left again. And I'm willing to pay the money to make sure it never happens again. What can I say I love watching NHL hockey. I love being there live. I love talking about hockey. And IMO at least having a NHL is a significant quality of life plus for Winnipeg.
Well said KB
You have been all in since day 1

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Bolded is critically important to remember. We were told from the initial announcement of the team returning that it wouldn't be like the old 7-11 days.

That said I talked with a guy in my group last night and he said he wants to go to 5 games from 10. Welp, that's no help at all. Everyone else is five and I'm carrying 15. Funny thing is my group may disintegrate without me actually wanting to drop the group. That's going to suck.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
I want to believe there is money in Winnipeg. I am talking old money underneath the mattress money. People willing to spend $250 to be behind the net Budweiser lounge money.

I mean really? TN is flexing their muscles. And we are all buying in. People are going to start cancelling. Tickets are available at cost. Many games. And I don't have to see a Senators exhibition game for the low low price of $100 plus as a season ticket holder.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don’t begrudge anyone enjoying life the way they see fit.
The TNSE model was to create demand by limiting seats out of necessity of the smaller building footprint.
Winnipeg is blue collar generally and we also have a reputation of frugality.
When the initial announcement came of the Jets return and ST were snapped up immediately there was from most people a sense of euphoria understandably.
I believe the vast majority of the new STH calculated what would be involved financially and some did not.
These increases as small as they are ADD up.
Some patrons have no issues with the yearly increases and others are now swallowing hard.
It’s those patrons like the previous poster who thinks that others should subsidize their hockey fix because of the increases....I say bollocks!

Last edited:

Arctichero

Oct 10, 2017
The TNSE model was to create demand by limiting seats out of necessity of the smaller building footprint.
When the initial announcement came of the Jets return and ST were snapped up immediately there was from most people a sense of euphoria understandably.
I believe the vast majority of the new STH calculated what would be involved financially and some did not.
Some patrons have no issues with the yearly increases and others are now swallowing hard.
It’s those patrons like the previous poster who thinks that others should subsidize their hockey fix because of the increases....I say bollocks!
I am an organizer of a group holding 4 seats in P7 level. Over the last few years, some members have dropped out; others have joined. We have not had a problem finding new members when current members leave. Also, not a problem if someone wants fewer tickets - either someone wants more or we get another member. Each year everyone decides if they want to continue for another year. Can't make it to a game you have tickets to? Sell them to friends or family, or post on the seat exchange for up to the walk up price. Only game I had a problem offloading tickets for was a preseason game a few years back. I think the food and beverage prices are pretty high - so we meet for cheap beers($4 game day) at that place in Cityplace mall. For me, the enjoyment I get seeing the games live is worth what I pay for my tickets. When that stops, I will not have seasons anymore.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Wow, this thread is hilarious.

To all those defending True North and telling others to shut up and pay the money or give up your tickets, I’ve got an important economic truth to shatter your illusions.

It is a mathematical certainty that ticket prices cannot rise faster than the underlying economic growth of the region in perpetuity. That kind of economic model will always be unstable in the end. They may get away with it for awhile but it will eventually end in the Jets leaving. All we’re left to debate is how long that takes. In a new market (as in one that isn’t already saturated and hockey-crazy), there is a lot more room to absorb fast ticket price growth because you are theoretically able to bring new fans into the equation to offset those who can no longer afford tickets. Does that sound like Winnipeg to you? Can you really not see that it’s already infinitely easier to get tickets than it was just 6 years ago? Can you not discern that that trend will surely continue with each incremental fan that gets priced out of the market?

At the risk of getting a bit hyperbolic, the type of logic used to justify 5% increases per year is exactly the type of logic that results in financial boom and busts worldwide. The perpetual inflation model we all live under, and that most people incorrectly interpret as necessary, is deeply flawed and it all comes down to how money is created. A fascinating topic for anyone interested in educating themselves.

TL;DR? I’m not asking you to feel sorry for any single STH who complains about higher prices. I am asking you to consider how this will end for the team we all love and hope is here to stay.

P.S. This “sports bubble” that I’m alluding to is everywhere. It’s not just a hockey or Winnipeg thing. Not that a collapse would be horrible, except for the players and owners.

P.P.S. I’m not arguing that TNSE doesn’t have to raise prices this fast in order to survive. It may be that they need to do this in order to compete. I’m just arguing that their economic model is flawed if that’s the case and they shouldn’t expect it to last forever.

Last edited:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
This thread has killed my dreams of a new 20k seat arena out by the BB stadium or on top of PPlace.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
This thread has killed my dreams of a new 20k seat arena out by the BB stadium or on top of PPlace.

It is very possible that the NHL is here to stay and that it will work long-term. Maybe the price increases slow down once the arena upgrades and True North square (or whatever it’s called) are complete?

I argued for ruin but I left room to debate how long that will take. It’s possible that TNSE is just trying find that fine line where they can skim as much as possible from guys like KingBogo (diehard fans who will go broke to keep a team) without killing the golden goose, and that things eventually normalize.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
That's OK. But most people have no problem with their house price increasing 3 fold in 15 years.

How’d that work out for millions in the US when the bottom fell out of the market? How many people just walked away from a house they couldn’t afford? How are the house price increases working out for millemials who can’t afford to ever own a house and participate in those rising prices? A great model for future prosperity if I ever heard one!

And don’t mistake me for a crabby and broke millennial. It’s not myself that I’m worried about.

Reactions: robertocarlos

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's impossible to know what TNSE is thinking. They've already made hundreds of millions on paper.

Reactions: Stej

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think TNSE just has to adjust. It's not 2011 anymore. Like it has been mentioned a few times there aren't many benefits to being a season ticket holder aside from locked in pricing, which is consistent everywhere. There's Jets Rewards and that's about it. The fact I have to pay the same for pre-season games as regular season games basically nullifies any of those benefits. Tickets are not as scarce, you can pretty much find seats for any game you wish from the Jets or on secondary market. Give me a reason to buy all the games and not just be able to pick the ones I want, and likely sit in different and better seats. I just don't think they can continue with the increases (combined with the hit to the wallets from playoffs, exciting as it all is) without changing things up a bit for the STH's.

Reactions: blues10

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
What I find ironic is how the NHL claims their revenue and therefore the salary cap goes up 5% but that 5% is passed on directly to the ticket buyer. At some point the ticket buyer will stop debating whether a player should get 10 or 12 million A YEAR and start to debate whether they want to pay 200 or 250 per game. @ Eye seeing. Good for you getting tickets for free but that doesn't help to keep the Jets here.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009

Yet you seem to be quite happy to have others subsidize your hockey fix. Interesting.

m.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It's all about TNSE finding out where the line is. So far they have been able to get the 3% or 5% increases every year without a large amount of push back, but it will happen it's just a matter of when.

They have made some changes even though it's only been 7 years. In year 1 you could buy half seasons in the P7s. Now you can buy half seasons in the P6s. Soon IMO you will see half seasons for sale in the P5s. They have come up with a website to help people find share partners... not sure if this has been of any use. As push back happens more you will see TNSE change to more and more price points sort of like Edm.

And as far as ST perks, from what I have heard talking to other people from other cities , yes Winnipeg, has the worst perks. This will also have to change. When it becomes apparent that there is not much benefit to having STs in any market, that will be a problem.

As a STH I am only a STH because I have a partner willing to take half the games. Without that I would dump them.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I am actually and make no bones about it.
Chipman does the same on a much larger scale and with help from friends in high places.
The mushy middle always gets killed.

Ah, there it is. Your words betray your intent.

The italicized is incorrect, btw.

m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad