Big Jump In Season Ticket Prices

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I usually pay attention to the number of blue dots available on ticketmaster in the days and weeks leading up to home games. From what I have noticed the past two years, there are often a few hundred seats with two or more seats together available in the P6 and P7 sections...even the day before and sometimes the day of the game. I think these particular price points will becoming an increasingly tougher sell with the 3 -5% annual increases assuming that it is mostly middle income earners buying these seats.

I see fewer issues with available seats in the P1, P2 - and to a slightly lesser extent, P3 and P4. Usually I only see a few dozen seats where two or more can sit together. Sometimes every seat is taken except for individual ones.

IMO, the best bet would be to maintain the 5% increases for the P1s and P2s for the forseeable future as these are probably bought by upper income individuals and businesses - these are less likely to threaten cancellation as they have the largest disposable income or in the case of businesses, individuals are not even paying for it. P3s, P4s keep around 3% (slightly above inflation)...maybe P5s as well. P6 and P7s should be 2% at most, maybe even only 1% which would put them at or slightly below the rate of inflation. I think this pricing model would sustainable in the future..at least more so than the current one which appears to increase prices for all seats by 5% per year.

Completely agree here. It seems like the low end seats are the ones that aren't selling and seem to be overpriced vs the market for them. I personally gave up my P6 seats after last season due to the potential of a 5% increase and was having trouble selling games I couldn't make, even below season ticket cost.

For those who are interested, since the first season ticket increases have been 2% two years, 3% four years and 5% one year. (Ignoring the grandfathered 3%. My assumption is once contracts are up they will increase to align everyone to the 5%).

That's in total an increase of 23.0% since 2011.

Inflation in Canada over that period per BOC has been 12.2%.

So Jets ticket price increases have almost outpaced inflation two fold.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The league has a Canadian dollar equalization program. The team is profitable man. Should be the end of the argument lol

The Canadian dollar equalization program hasn't been around since the cap was introduced. Revenue sharing however naturally equalizes revenue disparity.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Are you guys claiming "fake news" here? This is all public record stuff - Kives is just reporting the numbers without editorializing.

We can debate whether or not governments should be subsidizing pro sports teams, but the facts are not in question.

Not at all. Just opining about Kives rather than the article. I'm fine with the article as it is.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Not at all. Just opining about Kives rather than the article. I'm fine with the article as it is.
Haven't lived in Wpg for years, but isn't Kives the only decent reporter in the whole province. Seems to be the only reporter that breaks stories.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Completely agree here. It seems like the low end seats are the ones that aren't selling and seem to be overpriced vs the market for them. I personally gave up my P6 seats after last season due to the potential of a 5% increase and was having trouble selling games I couldn't make, even below season ticket cost.

For those who are interested, since the first season ticket increases have been 2% two years, 3% four years and 5% one year. (Ignoring the grandfathered 3%. My assumption is once contracts are up they will increase to align everyone to the 5%).

That's in total an increase of 23.0% since 2011.

Inflation in Canada over that period per BOC has been 12.2%.

So Jets ticket price increases have almost outpaced inflation two fold.

Personally I find P6/7 to be very nice seats, no matter the angle.

I just had Section 309 for Game 2, and thought the view was great!

But agree, maybe they are priced a bit above what the market is willing to pay. That might change if the Jets go deep and start red hot next year.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Personally I find P6/7 to be very nice seats, no matter the angle.

I just had Section 309 for Game 2, and thought the view was great!

But agree, maybe they are priced a bit above what the market is willing to pay. That might change if the Jets go deep and start red hot next year.

The view from P6 and P7 behind the net is way better than my view in P5 behind the press boxes. We’ve been asking to move since 2012 and haven’t moved. At this point we’ve told our rep we’d pay our same P5 price to move to P6 or P7 behind the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad