Big Jump In Season Ticket Prices

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wow, 5% increase for next year. I'm surprised with many people having wage freezes they would put such a big increase in prices.

The Leafs went up 8-13% with the biggest increases on the cheapest seats

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Winnipeg isn't corporate Toronto plus Truth North has always stayed to 3% or less. I feel this will back fire on them and many will drop out. Plus Toronto is a much bigger area of population. They can easily find others. Winnipeg not so much.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Winnipeg isn't corporate Toronto plus Truth North has always stayed to 3% or less. I feel this will back fire on them and many will drop out. Plus Toronto is a much bigger area of population. They can easily find others. Winnipeg not so much.

They have to increase revenue somehow to keep up. I'm pretty sure the terms of the STH agreement cap increases at 5% do they not? They haven't done anything wrong.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I would think the Jets have a very disproportionate amount of non corporate season ticket holders compared to the majority of franchises in the NHL. TNSE may not care if Joe and Jane fan drops their season tickets as they may have corporate sales lined up.

At the initial sale many businesses could not get their hands on season tickets unless they had Moose tickets or lucked out at the general sale.

I would speculate that TNSE are comfortable pricing some season ticket holders out of the building.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016

Not commenting on the legitimacy of the Jets increase but Toronto isn’t a comparable market (I live in Toronto).

The correlation between price and demand isn’t elastic in Toronto due to the fact the most of the season tickets are corporately held, salaries are far higher and most people cherry pick a game or two to attend with their wife or kids because it’s a huge pain in the ass to get to and from downtown from the burbs.

My sense is that jets fans in Winnipeg attend more games (often sharing partial seasons) and earn less money than their Toronto counterparts, so the market factors are entirely different.

Reactions: Tommigun

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not commenting on the legitimacy of the Jets increase but Toronto isn’t a comparable market (I live in Toronto).

The correlation between price and demand isn’t elastic in Toronto due to the fact the most of the season tickets are corporately held, salaries are far higher and most people cherry pick a game or two to attend with their wife or kids because it’s a huge pain in the ass to get to and from downtown from the burbs.

My sense is that jets fans in Winnipeg attend more games (often sharing partial seasons) and earn less money than their Toronto counterparts, so the market factors are entirely different.

While this may be true it does not relieve the pressure TNSE is facing to increase revenue. I was not suggesting that TNSE should have increased prices to the level the Leafs did. I only posted for comparison purposes

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
While this may be true it does not relieve the pressure TNSE is facing to increase revenue. I was not suggesting that TNSE should have increased prices to the level the Leafs did. I only posted for comparison purposes
Didn’t all teams get some good $ from Vegas expansion?
Won’t they get good coin from the Seattle expansion too?
Serious question

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Tough decision with our next renewal after next season. Enjoy the games but it becomes a bit of a money pit and as OP mentioned earlier it's not like we are making more money. If playoff runs become the norm the increase becomes something more like 50% if they make some conference finals.

The upside is that there are a lot of single game tickets available, for regular season at least. Maybe I'm getting old but I like watching the game on TV being able to do some things and go to bed right after as well haha.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Didn’t all teams get some good $ from Vegas expansion?
Won’t they get good coin from the Seattle expansion too?
Serious question

Yes teams did but that's not considered HRR. It's just a dividend.

It's all about increasing HRR

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would think the Jets have a very disproportionate amount of non corporate season ticket holders compared to the majority of franchises in the NHL. TNSE may not care if Joe and Jane fan drops their season tickets as they may have corporate sales lined up.

At the initial sale many businesses could not get their hands on season tickets unless they had Moose tickets or lucked out at the general sale.

I would speculate that TNSE are comfortable pricing some season ticket holders out of the building.
This is an interesting comment. I've long believed that TNSE doesn't mind shaking loose those ST holders who are not well positioned to have ST. Pay to the cap and have a winning team and make enough revenue from your ticket base and playoff games.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Speaking of making money anybody have an idea of what a home game in the playoffs will bring in for the Jets

They don't have to pay team salaries from the revenue. The league does take a cut though and uses part of that for player playoff bonuses.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Ticket prices go up as the playoffs go along too

Rd1 &I Rd2 are 150% of reg season A level
Rd3 are double
Rd4 are triple

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
They have to increase revenue somehow to keep up. I'm pretty sure the terms of the STH agreement cap increases at 5% do they not? They haven't done anything wrong.
I expect many know but just to clarify the 5% increase has come in on the newer signed contracts. As P3 we still have one more year left with a 3% increase and then upon renewals we will jump to 5%. I believe the only levels paying the 5% increase at the moment are the P6-7 group as their renewals came up sooner. P1/P2 might be but I don't think so as the increase came in after year five and they would have renewed for their five year term prior the increase. P3/4/5 will be signing next year and will all be tagged with the 5% (I'm being redundant by saying it differently).

I know I certainly don't see even 3% increase personally year over year but that's why I'm in a group in part, to spread the costs out. I agree with others in that I don't see TNSE having a problem pricing some out of the STH market but I'm not convinced they aren't going to overstep that limit at some point. As others have said, it's not Toronto and all the seats aren't held by corporate entities that can write it off against business expenses. Tickets are a lot of money for a season.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I expect many know but just to clarify the 5% increase has come in on the newer signed contracts. As P3 we still have one more year left with a 3% increase and then upon renewals we will jump to 5%. I believe the only levels paying the 5% increase at the moment are the P6-7 group as their renewals came up sooner. P1/P2 might be but I don't think so as the increase came in after year five and they would have renewed for their five year term prior the increase. P3/4/5 will be signing next year and will all be tagged with the 5% (I'm being redundant by saying it differently).

As far as I know our cap at P5 right now is 6% per year and TNSE decides each year what the increase will be.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
It's too bad that STHs can't gain access, re: transferring, re-selling etc... to the entire upcoming season the day the NHL schedule is released considering payments start April 15. Two of the three payment plans have the entire season paid by August 15 yet STH won't be able to do anything with the tickets until September and the 2nd half of the season will be frozen until December.

The list of STH benefits is pretty poor in comparison to other franchises. Don't Moose ticket holders get the same discount at Jets gear? my wife says she gets a 15% discount at Jets gear through her job.

Clearly the best benefit is the ability to purchase playoff tickets. Would still like a concession discount.

Winnipeg Jets Season Seat Holder BenefitsFull SeasonHalf Season
Guaranteed Seat Location for all Winnipeg Jets Regular Season Home Games at Bell MTS Place
Savings vs. Individual Game Walk-up Pricing
Convenient Payment Plan Options (See Payment Plan Chart)
Guaranteed Access to Purchase Your Winnipeg Jets Playoff Package
Enrollment in Jets Rewards; our Winnipeg Jets Loyalty Program
Exclusive Access to Winnipeg Jets Season Seat Holder Events
15% Discount at all Jets Gear Locations (on Regular-Priced Merchandise)
Dedicated Account Service Representative
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

By comparison here is a sample of another small market team in Nashville and their benefits for a 3 year ticket committment.

Three-Year Plan Benefits Include:

• 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs tickets purchasing opportunities
  • 45 percent average savings on Stanley Cup Playoffs tickets
  • Same-seat priority each year
  • 45 percent average savings on Box Office rate for regular-season games
  • 12-month interest-free monthly payment plans
  • Invitation to Team Event
  • Access to tickets for every 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs home game
  • $100 Smashville gift card (for Team Store or concessions)*
  • First Priority to pre-sale offers for Bridgestone Arena events and Preds games
  • 10 percent Concessions discounts
  • 15 percent Ford Ice Center discounts
  • 20 percent Predators Team Store discounts
    • Three seasonal gifts
    • Ticket buy-back program for Grow the Gold games**
    • 10 Exchange Nights, for games you can't attend***
    • Smashville Rewards account****
    • A dedicated Guest Experience Team
    • Complimentary meeting space in Bridgestone Arena
    • Ticket price increase won't exceed four percent for 2019-21 seasons
    • Access to Predators morning skates
    • A private Preds Team Store shopping day
    • Away game ticket purchase assistance*****
    • Private away game watch parties at Bridgestone Arena
    • Private postgame skate parties
    • **If you can't make the game, we'll buy back your ticket as the rate you paid. A request for a buy back must be made seven days prior to the game.
    • Season-Ticket Citizen Benefits

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
So some people will be paying more then others in P6? Those who signed for max term last renewal still have 2 seasons left at 3% max increase correct?
I will have to check out ST agreement to confirm.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad