Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Chevy was on Hockey Central this afternoon, they asked about Buff,’Chevy said that they were blindsided on the day before camp and that Buff then agreed that he would play a month later, then they heard he had surgery. Chevy said that when he is able to he will provide clarity to the whole situation.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Imagine that...

Chevy the poker player...

Having chips in hand...

Lets see what happens...

eat-popcorn-3d.gif

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Wow, the greenlight is huge. The tdl was handcuffed otherwise. Great news for Winnipeg.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
What do people think we could realistically get for Buff in a trade, if it happens?

I could imagine a reclamation project with an additional conditional pick/s based on play. Still a low risk for the buying team and a plus for the Jets if Buff plays as they would get a pick. I’m sure that pick would have to be 2021 though to allow for proper healing and conditioning.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I said this before but maybe there's a way to deal Buff to someone who needs the cap room and another bad contract where the player can still contribute. Jets eat salary for the player for maybe another year, but get a player that can contribute, plus a draft pick. Something that makes it a win for both teams rather than just losing Buff for nothing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What an odd development - I'm pretty sure he won't play this season so it seems strange to try and trade him
I hope it doesn't happen though
Getting something is better than just terminating the contract. Both options provide the same cap relief, but one option gives us an asset or 2 while the other doesn't.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy was on Hockey Central this afternoon, they asked about Buff,’Chevy said that they were blindsided on the day before camp and that Buff then agreed that he would play a month later, then they heard he had surgery. Chevy said that when he is able to he will provide clarity to the whole situation.

Very interesting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd jump all over this, I'd even add a little as the likelihood of a 21 y/o coming back is far greater than a very soon to be 35 y/o.

I agree. I would think they would be interested as well if there was some inclination of Buff coming back and playing. But that seems doubtful atm.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. I would think they would be interested as well if there was some inclination of Buff coming back and playing. But that seems doubtful atm.
What if they could make a trade with the conditional picks going from the Jets to the Flyers. If Patrick never plays another game next season nothing gets added, all the way up to a 2021 1st if Patrick plays a games and points threshold expected of a young #2 center. Say 70 games and 60 points. With lesser picks for playing less games and/or less production?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Trade him to San Jose.... I think some guy named Kane would like to play with him again.

JMO, but a trade foe Buff would be a conditional pick. Because even if you trade him there is still a good chance he never plays.

Still don't get why it had to end like this. Fan favorite player, loved in Winnipeg... one day we might get the story.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
A bit of a rant. I read through this story on the main board and before the end of the first page I was screaming for F sake read the F ing article . WOW. I'm surprised TSN has him at number 10 but I suppose it's all on the chance he could return to form.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

If true, then Buff really made it hard on the Jets.

Reactions: Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Trade him to San Jose.... I think some guy named Kane would like to play with him again.

JMO, but a trade foe Buff would be a conditional pick. Because even if you trade him there is still a good chance he never plays.

Still don't get why it had to end like this. Fan favorite player, loved in Winnipeg... one day we might get the story.

I think one day we will get a story. Clarity to Chevy is another man's obfuscation. I don't expect to ever hear the full truth.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think one day we will get a story. Clarity to Chevy is another man's obfuscation. I don't expect to ever hear the full truth.
One of Chevy's best traits as a GM is under no circumstances does he or anyone around him share information that might put him at a disadvantage in any type of negotiations, either with players or other GM's. It really doesn't matter what us fans would like to know.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'll just keep touting my Buff to Philly for Patrick idea. Risk for risk.

I'd really like this deal for the Jets, if they can make it happen. Also Patrick may be a homer type of guy, and will feel a lot better playing in front of his home town fans ?? Give it a shot.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd try to get Borgstrom out of Florida for him. Add Pysyk too, because we are still short on RHD depth (and for Cap considerations). Quenneville knows how to coach Byfuglien. Furthermore, Buff could fish in the Glades all year, seems like one foot into retirement.
But he could be the difference in Florida making the playoffs or not, in a battle with the Leafs. I'd be pulling for Buff in this case.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd try to get Borgstrom out of Florida for him. Add Pysyk too, because we are still short on RHD depth (and for Cap considerations). Quenneville knows how to coach Byfuglien. Furthermore, Buff could fish in the Glades all year, seems like one foot into retirement.
But he could be the difference in Florida making the playoffs or not, in a battle with the Leafs. I'd be pulling for Buff in this case.

I've got a perfect tour guide for him!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Actual quote, omitting the you knows and uhhs.

“There was lots of conversations in the summer and there was never any indication that anything was out of the normal til the night before training camp. Even at that point he didn’t know. I guess about a month later things looked good. It was like he wanted to play. Then he talked about the ankle situation.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad