Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not totally convinced of Lowry either. I'm still not sure why Lowry should be on the roster over Petan or Ehlers. It's a very tough decision and all three of them offer a lot of points for their game but also a couple of points against it.

Could there be 3 of us? :)

It is not that I am against Lowry (wasn't impressed last night though). It is that I prefer Petan, quite strongly prefer Petan. I hope I am wrong. Maybe Lowry makes us harder to play against. Maybe he makes more room for his more talented linemates. Maybe they both make the team. :handclap: :)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Could there be 3 of us? :)

It is not that I am against Lowry (wasn't impressed last night though). It is that I prefer Petan, quite strongly prefer Petan. I hope I am wrong. Maybe Lowry makes us harder to play against. Maybe he makes more room for his more talented linemates. Maybe they both make the team. :handclap: :)

I am in the same camp. I hope Lowry turns out great, but Petan is as good or better now with higher upside.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Now that Petan and Ehlers have been reassigned I'm guessing Lowry has made it?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Sorry, just can't see him holding down a top 9 spot all year long. Petan had better numbers as a 17y.o than Lowry at 20 in the Dub. Adam wasn't even a top 6 forward in the AHL last year.

So the spot likely ends up going to Galiardi, Odell (way to make the team from the IR!), Halischuk. :shakehead

Last edited:

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I was a big advocate for Petan staying with the big club (at least some regular season games), but I always want to see our guys do well. Question: with some years in the NHL, do you think Lowry can become a Backes-lite? If he adds some more weight I can see it (Backes is 6'3" and 225 lbs, Lowry is 6'5" and 201 lbs).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was a big advocate for Petan staying with the big club (at least some regular season games), but I always want to see our guys do well. Question: with some years in the NHL, do you think Lowry can become a Backes-lite? If he adds some more weight I can see it (Backes is 6'3" and 225 lbs, Lowry is 6'5" and 201 lbs).

No way in hell. He doesn't skate like Backes, not even close. Lowry simply doesn't skate well enough to be a first line centre.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No way in hell. He doesn't skate like Backes, not even close. Lowry simply doesn't skate well enough to be a first line centre.

I'm not suggesting that Lowry has the same potential as Backes (I don't think he has the offensive talent), but Backes wasn't always an NHL-level skater. I think that Lowry's skating has improved substantially over the past couple of years.

Some concurrent reviews of Backes when he was a prospect....

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=275780

The most noticeable improvement about Backes is his skating and mobility. It's been somewhat of an issue with him in the past. His strides look smoother than last season (of what I've seen so far). His offensive ability coupled with a good shot, play around the net are very good and whenever possible likes to throw the body around. That was all there last season too. As an NHL prospect, he's a good prospect, probably a fourth line guy (or checking line center) at best at this point.

He seems to be rather slow, but he's just a big kid at the moment; so, that is to be expected if you ask me.

His skating has improved (although IMO it still can be improved even more).

Skating:
He looked a touch slow, especially as he began skating or changing direction. He was slow on a break, although he did catch up as he gained top speed. A lot of times I couldn't tell if he was just slow or if he just lacked explosive acceleration. He could definitely improve his game substantially if he attended a few skating clinics.

boanst

May 25, 2013
If the choice is between Lowry and Petan, then yes I prefer Petan, but that is probably because his upside was obvious when he played here.

On the other hand, Lowry would possibly be better in shot suppression, and the Jets probably need to be more concerned to be better at that than at getting more offense. I think both are responsible defensively but Lowry is more capable in prevention, and more NHL ready in that sense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In Maurice's interview today he continued to gush about Lowry. He says he sees very high potential and has seen rapid progression. He sees these guys every day, and must really see something good with Lowry.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sorry, just can't see him holding down a top 9 spot all year long. Petan had better numbers as a 17y.o than Lowry at 20 in the Dub. Adam wasn't even a top 6 forward in the AHL last year.

So the spot likely ends up going to Galiardi, Odell (way to make the team from the IR!), Halischuk. :shakehead

Petan and Lowry are projecting in two different directions. Petan will be a playmaking RW with 2nd line upside and Lowry will be a 2-way grinder on the 3rd line. There's little to compare between the two, but Lowry is a net positive on the 3rd line with Perreault and Frolik. That line should be a possession monster, though not as good as Ladd - Little - Frolik.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If the choice is between Lowry and Petan, then yes I prefer Petan, but that is probably because his upside was obvious when he played here.

On the other hand, Lowry would possibly be better in shot suppression, and the Jets probably need to be more concerned to be better at that than at getting more offense. I think both are responsible defensively but Lowry is more capable in prevention, and more NHL ready in that sense.

This is how I see it. Lowry was the better fit for addressing the teams weakness goals and shots against. Whereas Petan would have enhanced a team strength in offense more so than Lowry. They likely put greater emphasis on addressing the defensive short commings than improved offense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
[nhl]637661[/nhl]

Lowry is such a mature and articulate player. I really like that the Jets are not only getting talented players, but also players that look to have very good character. Guys like him, Scheifele and Morrissey are going to earn a lot of respect in Winnipeg and around the league.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
In Maurice's interview today he continued to gush about Lowry. He says he sees very high potential and has seen rapid progression. He sees these guys every day, and must really see something good with Lowry.

No doubt he does, but he also sees something good with Thorburn. I like Lowry too, but more as a fourth-line guy than a third.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Petan and Lowry are projecting in two different directions. Petan will be a playmaking RW with 2nd line upside and Lowry will be a 2-way grinder on the 3rd line. There's little to compare between the two, but Lowry is a net positive on the 3rd line with Perreault and Frolik. That line should be a possession monster, though not as good as Ladd - Little - Frolik.

I didn't mind Lowry - Perreault - Frolik but I am afraid it is going to be Lowry - Perreault - Buff. Which will be a waste of both Perreault and Buff. Perreault said he likes playing with big guys. He might get his wish in spades.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is how I see it. Lowry was the better fit for addressing the teams weakness goals and shots against. Whereas Petan would have enhanced a team strength in offense more so than Lowry. They likely put greater emphasis on addressing the defensive short commings than improved offense.

Petan was pretty good defensively too. I think the net effect would have been better with Petan. Doesn't matter now though. It ain't gonna happen.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lowry is such a mature and articulate player. I really like that the Jets are not only getting talented players, but also players that look to have very good character. Guys like him, Scheifele and Morrissey are going to earn a lot of respect in Winnipeg and around the league.

I responded to this in another post to you but yes I love the kind of kids we are drafting. I was talking to one of the veterans on the team this summer at a golf tournament and one thing he mentioned unprompted is that he really liked the young guys TNSE are drafting. He said they were really good players and really good teammates. I sense Lowry fits the bill perfectly as well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Petan was pretty good defensively too. I think the net effect would have been better with Petan. Doesn't matter now though. It ain't gonna happen.

I would have been fine with either. I think Lowry's pro experience and that fact that he's more or less a natural winger gave him a leg up. He shouldn't have as big an adjustment to make.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would have been fine with either. I think Lowry's pro experience and that fact that he's more or less a natural winger gave him a leg up. He shouldn't have as big an adjustment to make.

Lowry's additional experience apparently outweighed Petan's additional talent. I really don't think 'natural positions' would have any effect. Moving from C to wing is much easier than from a wing to C.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Anyone getting a Lowry Jersey?

@WpgJetsPR: #NHLJets forward Adam Lowry will now be wearing the jersey number 17.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Anyone getting a Lowry Jersey?

@WpgJetsPR: #NHLJets forward Adam Lowry will now be wearing the jersey number 17.

Gump I think you should pony up and represent AL in P1 ;)...you have been the guy who has been the hardest working advocate for Adam in the prospects thread over the years keeping us all updated!!

Glad Adam is getting his shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad