Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I can see Lowry turning into a 25-30 point third two-way third line player.

I think he gets 15-20 points this year if he spends most of the year with Perrault.

The last two games, Perrault-Lowry-... have been the best line out there for the Jets. Appear to be absolutely dominating possession. If they continue to play like that, I see no problem with Lowry cracking 20 and maybe even 30. If they regress & Lowry shuffles to the 4th line - downsize his potential to 10-15.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Lowry does a lot of small details that you don't always notice, but coaches certainly do. Cycling properly, not getting in the way of your team mates. He also runs picks very well. At this point he's not very far away from a decent bottom 6 player at all. The chemistry he seems to have with Perreault is a bonus.

I really want him to stick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The last two games, Perrault-Lowry-... have been the best line out there for the Jets. Appear to be absolutely dominating possession. If they continue to play like that, I see no problem with Lowry cracking 20 and maybe even 30. If they regress & Lowry shuffles to the 4th line - downsize his potential to 10-15.

Yea I am factoring in about 12 to 15 games missed and time bouncing between the 3rd and 4th lines.......If he sits on the 3rd line for most of the season with Perreault then I would expect north of 20 points but I am not sure that will happen since my guess is that Perreault and Kane will hook up for a trial run at some point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think Lowry has much to do with it. Put Peluso or Thor with Perreault and they are going to look pretty good too. Crash, bang, go to net. Got it. JMO

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't think Lowry has much to do with it. Put Peluso or Thor with Perreault and they are going to look pretty good too. Crash, bang, go to net. Got it. JMO

Have to disagree with you there. Perrault and Lowry have been driving the possession stuff. Certainly Perrault has been more prominent than Lowry in that but Lowry has more than held his own (in contrast to whoever has been with them). Put any one of those 4th liners with Perrault and they become invisible, and I dare bet the entire line is ineffective. I too was much more into getting Petan on the 3rd line & still would be, but I have to say Lowry has impressed me the last couple games for sure

boanst

May 25, 2013

I think theres a bit more to it than that. Lowry may not be driving the bus on offense but hes played well away from the puck. Basically he plays the role Thor did when he moved up in the lineup last year, except Lowry does it much better. Thor had a few moments of clarity but for the most part he dragged down any line he was on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think you are wrong on that. Lowry is adding to Perrault's game as well. He is already a significant step past Peluso and Thorburn. Its not just crashing and banging, he is very good with body position and gaining and keeping possession.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
looking at that list' most should have been practicing hockey instead of doing homework. Studying algebra doesn't make you a better hockey player kids.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you are wrong on that. Lowry is adding to Perrault's game as well. He is already a significant step past Peluso and Thorburn. Its not just crashing and banging, he is very good with body position and gaining and keeping possession.

OK, I'm obviously just too stupid to get it. I need a more detailed explanation of what it is that Lowry does that makes him more useful on a scoring line than a skilled player like Petan. I keep hearing commentators say he does all the little things so well. What little things?

I see Lowry hitting ... a lot. I understand and appreciate the value of that. He is separating the players from the puck. Perreault swoops in and picks up the puck. Possession. Apparently he backchecks pretty well although I personally saw more of that from Petan. He doesn't skate very well, he isn't very fast, he is not a particularly good passer, not too bad I guess, he does not handle the puck very well and he is not a great shooter. He will go to the front of the net screening the goalie and trying for deflections. What did I miss? Compared to Thorburn (just for discussion) which of those things does Lowry do better and by how much? He might actually be a slightly better hitter. Is he a better backchecker? Probably, Thor is not great there. Thor might be the better puck handler/passer/shooter and certainly skater.

Honestly it appears to me that people are being overly influenced by Lowry's hitting. It is impressive and fun to watch. If that is not the case then like I said I really need someone to explain it to me in a little more detail because in that case it is obvious that my untrained eye simply cannot see what is happening. I'm not trying to be the least bit sarcastic here and I am not anti-Lowry. I hope he has a long and successful career with the Jets. It is the LEVEL of Lowry love that I just don't get. It is almost unanimous so the fault must lie with me.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
looking at that list' most should have been practicing hockey instead of doing homework. Studying algebra doesn't make you a better hockey player kids.

It takes aptitude and effort to excel at either. I can't really see your point. You seem to be saying that the players who were studious would have become NHL'ers if they had chucked the books and spent all day on the ice.

Studying algebra doesn't make you a worse hocker player, kids. In fact, your willingness to make an effort will spread to other facets of your life.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It takes aptitude and effort to excel at either. I can't really see your point. You seem to be saying that the players who were studious would have become NHL'ers if they had chucked the books and spent all day on the ice.

Studying algebra doesn't make you a worse hocker player, kids. In fact, your willingness to make an effort will spread to other facets of your life.

I was joking...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
OK, I'm obviously just too stupid to get it. I need a more detailed explanation of what it is that Lowry does that makes him more useful on a scoring line than a skilled player like Petan. I keep hearing commentators say he does all the little things so well. What little things?

I see Lowry hitting ... a lot. I understand and appreciate the value of that. He is separating the players from the puck. Perreault swoops in and picks up the puck. Possession. Apparently he backchecks pretty well although I personally saw more of that from Petan. He doesn't skate very well, he isn't very fast, he is not a particularly good passer, not too bad I guess, he does not handle the puck very well and he is not a great shooter. He will go to the front of the net screening the goalie and trying for deflections. What did I miss? Compared to Thorburn (just for discussion) which of those things does Lowry do better and by how much? He might actually be a slightly better hitter. Is he a better backchecker? Probably, Thor is not great there. Thor might be the better puck handler/passer/shooter and certainly skater.

Honestly it appears to me that people are being overly influenced by Lowry's hitting. It is impressive and fun to watch. If that is not the case then like I said I really need someone to explain it to me in a little more detail because in that case it is obvious that my untrained eye simply cannot see what is happening. I'm not trying to be the least bit sarcastic here and I am not anti-Lowry. I hope he has a long and successful career with the Jets. It is the LEVEL of Lowry love that I just don't get. It is almost unanimous so the fault must lie with me.

Here is a good article from last week on Lowry.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...hines-277355891.html?cx_navSource=d-top-image

Personally I really like how well he protects the puck in the offensive zone which gives his line mates time and space. IMO he also puts himself in very good positions without the puck. Again at 21 he has a pretty well developed game, is obviously physically mature and is ready to play a role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here is a good article from last week on Lowry.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...hines-277355891.html?cx_navSource=d-top-image

Personally I really like how well he protects the puck in the offensive zone which gives his line mates time and space. IMO he also puts himself in very good positions without the puck. Again at 21 he has a pretty well developed game, is obviously physically mature and is ready to play a role.

Yeah, I read that article. It is just Maurice saying much the same as what everyone else says and confirming what I see. When he was playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines last year Thorburn did the same things but everybody hated him there. I don't know that I have ever seen any player planting himself in front of the opposition net and being harder to move. There were both Thor and the D who couldn't budge him screening the goalie. That part of what Lowry does, I get. I don't see how that is anywhere near as valuable as the skill game that Petan brings.

I hate turning this into a Lowry vs Petan debate because both are Jets and both are good players. I would rather they both make the team. I might even rotate them through the same positions sometimes depending on opponent but if I could keep only 1 it would be Petan every time.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

Yeah, I read that article. It is just Maurice saying much the same as what everyone else says and confirming what I see. When he was playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines last year Thorburn did the same things but everybody hated him there. I don't know that I have ever seen any player planting himself in front of the opposition net and being harder to move. There were both Thor and the D who couldn't budge him screening the goalie. That part of what Lowry does, I get. I don't see how that is anywhere near as valuable as the skill game that Petan brings.

I hate turning this into a Lowry vs Petan debate because both are Jets and both are good players. I would rather they both make the team. I might even rotate them through the same positions sometimes depending on opponent but if I could keep only 1 it would be Petan every time.

+1 these are my feelings exactly. Especially the bold.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm not totally convinced of Lowry either. I'm still not sure why Lowry should be on the roster over Petan or Ehlers. It's a very tough decision and all three of them offer a lot of points for their game but also a couple of points against it.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not totally convinced of Lowry either. I'm still not sure why Lowry should be on the roster over Petan or Ehlers. It's a very tough decision and all three of them offer a lot of points for their game but also a couple of points against it.

Personally I think the decision was more made because he is bigger, older and can handle the rigors of the season. i think he should spent 1 more year in the AHL. I'm not sure how much offense he will bring during the whole year, or if he is just a placeholder for O'dell when he comes back off the IR.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

Thorburn has never done what Lowry has been effective at doing throughout the pre-season. Thorburn doesn't protect the puck well, cycle, get in the passing lines or provide offensive support with the consistency or effectiveness Lowry has, not to mention Lowry is superior in the defensive zone too.

Lowry does what Thorburn was supposed to do in theory but never in practice. If Thorburn played like Lowry people wouldn't be pissed if he plays on any line other than the 4th.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thorburn has never done what Lowry has been effective at doing throughout the pre-season. Thorburn doesn't protect the puck well, cycle, get in the passing lines or provide offensive support with the consistency or effectiveness Lowry has, not to mention Lowry is superior in the defensive zone too.

Lowry does what Thorburn was supposed to do in theory but never in practice. If Thorburn played like Lowry people wouldn't be pissed if he plays on any line other than the 4th.

I never said that Lowry wasn't better than Thor. I said similar and not much better. He is better in some things, Thor is better in others. Lowry might play a smarter game which may more than make up for his lack of skill, at least when the point of comparison is Thorburn. When comparing to Petan, well there is no comparison.

I tried to watch him last night. It wasn't easy. He wasn't crashing and banging so he wasn't as easy to find. I did see him getting into good spots a few times. Mostly I saw a guy who's skating is even worse than I had thought but somehow he was managing to get around. Ellerby is a great skater but not a great hockey player so maybe skating in hockey is overrated. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad