Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So what do you think Lowry's realistic potential is this year (assuming he makes the team and plays the full season) and what it'll be after 1-2 years seasoning in the NHL?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Call me crazy, but I could see him being top six if he plays with the right players. But I think he'd work best on the third line.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Call me crazy, but I could see him being top six if he plays with the right players. But I think he'd work best on the third line.

Are you saying this year or in 1-2 years?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think he'll be a decent 4th line option this year, especially with slugs like Thorburn and Peluso on the roster.

No idea what the future holds.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Starts on 3rd line, as a LW.

They likely hope he becomes a solid #3 C who can put up 35-40 pts, in a year or 2.

Edit: this year, maybe 20 pts.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Obviously depends largely on games played.

I'm not counting on Lowry cracking 10 points this year, but of course would love to be wrong.

Watching him play he's solid defensively, but offensively challenged. I can't see him getting more than 10-15 points (mostly assists) this full season if he's lucky.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can see Lowry turning into a 25-30 point third two-way third line player.

I think he gets 15-20 points this year if he spends most of the year with Perrault.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Starts on 3rd line, as a LW.

They likely hope he becomes a solid #3 C who can put up 35-40 pts, in a year or 2.

I'll be interested to see if they try moving him back to center at some point. I agree he likely starts the season on the 3rd line LW with Perrault. The 2 of them seem to work well together. I'm curious to see if it will be Buff or Frolik on the other wing.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'll be interested to see if they try moving him back to center at some point. I agree he likely starts the season on the 3rd line LW with Perrault. The 2 of them seem to work well together. I'm curious to see if it will be Buff or Frolik on the other wing.

I think Frolik. But Fro will move up and down, when a line needs a spark. That line will be fluid, IMO.

Edit: I think they want his size in the middle, at some point. But Perreault is likely there, for at least a couple of seasons, IMO. He may or may not be there for the entire 3 years of his contract, never know.

DrTrevor

Oct 3, 2014
I think if he does make it this year, it's gonna be as a 4th liner. Hali n Galiardi both outperformed em offensively in the preason and if I recall correctly, we were going for 3 scoring lines this year.

That being said, I could see him getting 15-20 pts this year. He wasn't terrible offensively, but obviously that isn't the focus of his game.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
So what do you think Lowry's realistic potential is this year (assuming he makes the team and plays the full season) and what it'll be after 1-2 years seasoning in the NHL?

Lowry will have a long, long career in the NHL. I don't even know if he'll be with the Jets this year, though.

If I was another team scouting him, I would be drooling over the possibility that the Jets might be undervaluing him right under their noses, and I would be advocating a trade for him.

He always wins battles for the puck, and his attitude is awesome. He seems to be a guy that understands what a joy it is to play hockey.

How do you measure potential?

Let's go with points. This year, all year, 12 goals 20 assists.

Top production depends on linemates, but out of the blue sky I'd say 20 goals, but with awesome possession numbers.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lowry will have a long, long career in the NHL. I don't even know if he'll be with the Jets this year, though.

If I was another team scouting him, I would be drooling over the possibility that the Jets might be undervaluing him right under their noses, and I would be advocating a trade for him.

He always wins battles for the puck, and his attitude is awesome. He seems to be a guy that understands what a joy it is to play hockey.

How do you measure potential?

Let's go with points. This year, all year, 12 goals 20 assists.

Top production depends on linemates, but out of the blue sky I'd say 20 goals, but with awesome possession numbers.

I agree with most of your points, except that the Jets are under valuing him. IMO some around here undervalue him, but I think the Jets are placing a very high value on him. You can see that by his usage and how they talk about him.

His strength and size are easily apparent, but at 21 yo he already uses it very effectively. IMO he is going to be a possession beast and we are already starting to see that. He plays a very strong game down low with good positioning.

I'm not sure of where the knock on his offensive comes from, other than it is sounding a lot like the knocks we heard on Scheifele early last season. "He needs to play in the A to learn the offensive game". The only valid argument I've heard for this is so he can gain confidence. But to me there is nothing in his game would suggest he lacks confidence. I think what we are seeing is a young pro being groomed to play the so called "right way". Be on the right side of the puck and don't cheat offensively. With the belief this will come with experience. His final year junior #'s were good, going 45 G - 43 A - 88 P with obvious leadership credentials. Last year his offensive #'s on the rock improved later in the season after a slow start due to injuries.

In terms of his points, I see something like 25 - 30 points now and leveling off in the 40 - 50 p range in a couple seasons. Approx Frolik type #'s. Not likely to lead the team, but solid 2-way play from the middle 6. IMO in a year or 2 Lowry will be seen as an essential core piece for the Jets.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Ok so he's some where between James Wright and Keith Primeau? :laugh:

Likely will take some time for a large man to develop his offensive skills to the NHL game. I'm guessing he's likely 4th line, this year with the odd chance on the third line due to injures or just mixing up the lines trying to create a spark.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He has come a long way in 12 months. I like his cycling and I especially like his net front presence. His willingness to drive to the net will open up opportunities for line mates and create space. Either way it seems like he is penciled in now so I will cheer for Adam and hope he handles the transition to the NHL well. My expectations for this season would be for about 12-15 points depending on usage. Keep in mind we had 8 forwards who produced more than 11 points last season and only 11 players including D men who were above 13 points.

It’s a positive sign that we graduated 2 prospects out of the 2011 draft especially considering we didn't have a 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad