Player Discussion: BIG Adam Lowry

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
You all just like him because he's big, lol.

He scores like Thorburn at 5-on-5.

Lowry is so much more then "big"

PoMo can match up his 4th line against any top line in the league. This is a huge advantage for the Jets when it comes to matchups especially when playing on the road. Lowry is probably the best shutdown C in the league right now and the Jets are a much better team with him then without him.

When Lowry and Scheifele were both out there were games that I thought the Jets missed Lowry more then Scheifele.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

45577d1352536360t-i-hope-jellybean-does-not-come-s3-24005427.jpg

5v5 points/60:

Lowry 2.13
Thorburn 1.09

relCF%:

Lowry +4.97
Thorburn -5.64

relxGF%:

Lowry +8.52
Thorburn -1.81

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea that mistake against Beagle and losing the puck to forsberg in the last Preds game are good lessons for him. Love Lowry, fresh legs but a wonky shoulder ...hope he can pick his spots well in the post season and stay healthy.
If he's still feeling pain in that shoulder, he sure isn't playing like it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There was a stretch of games in January against Vegas and TBL that really showed Lowrys value. He will be key this playoff run

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I would like to see him fresh for the playoffs. I would have no problem with him resting until the post season starts.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: Is he big? I never noticed. I notice that his line checks the oppositions best into the ground.

Does he score like Thorburn? No, he doesn't. Unlike Thorburn, he outscores his opposition. The total number of goals is small but it is the differential that counts.

Reactions: Ippenator

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I know this is a dig at people who questioned Lowry's spot in the lineup the last couple of years but here was a time when he scored at Thorburn's rate and it was probably right to ask if he should have played the number of minutes he did. Great rookie year, terrible sophomore season, meh 3rd season, and now a fantastic 4th season. Clearly he is a much improved player than he was 2 years ago.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I know this is a dig at people who questioned Lowry's spot in the lineup the last couple of years but here was a time when he scored at Thorburn's rate and it was probably right to ask if he should have played the number of minutes he did. Great rookie year, terrible sophomore season, meh 3rd season, and now a fantastic 4th season. Clearly he is a much improved player than he was 2 years ago.

Are those the same people who laughed at Maurice when he said lowry was being trained for playing against the other teams best???...

Hah! Stupid Pomo. Most losses ever Yada yada

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Are those the same people who laughed at Maurice when he said lowry was being trained for playing against the other teams best???...

Hah! Stupid Pomo. Most losses ever Yada yada

Yes in the season where PoMo tried to use Lowry as a matchup C above Little and Scheifele early on, he was absolutely clobbered in shot metrics, scored at a 4th line pace and was sent down to the minors by.... guess who...... PoMo.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Yes in the season where PoMo tried to use Lowry as a matchup C above Little and Scheifele early on, he was absolutely clobbered in shot metrics, scored at a 4th line pace and was sent down to the minors by.... guess who...... PoMo.

Yup. Almost as if it was part of the training.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Draft AND develop. To do the latter minutes are required.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Poll elsewhere on the board prompted me to compare Lowry's effect on the Jets 5v5 shots against to Auston Matthews' effect on the Leafs 5v5 shots for:

Lowry has an even more dramatic positive effect on the Jets team defense than Auston Matthews has on the Leafs team offense.

If the Leafs had a bottom 6 centre like Adam Lowry, we'd never hear the end of it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And isn't training camp where you try out a guy in the future role you envision and then when he proves not yet ready you assign him to the farm team to develop his game having experienced where he falls short? It is looking like he has developed pretty well. Almost like he had a coach that really worked on bringing him along.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Actually, a number of posters tried to defend him vs. somewhat irrational criticism in the past. It seemed that many liked to ignore the stats then, to support their perception that Maurice / Chevy were simply biased by size. Remember this analysis from Garret? In 2016/17 Lowry was 5th among Jets forwards in GAR, ahead of Laine, Little, Armia, Dano, etc. Lowry didn't look too bad then, did he? Still, during the off-season there were many that still questioned his role on the roster going forward.

screen-shot-2017-05-12-at-11-03-21-am1.png

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
With the exception of the first half of his second season Lowry has always been better than the 4th liner tag he always had around here.

He scored at a 4th liner rate for the majority of his previous 3 season at 5vs5. However, no one ever bothers to add in the quality of linemates he had during that time like they loved to do with players like Petan or even Ehlers when they played with mediocre players.

There was plenty of evidence last season on the PP that Lowry had some offensive gifts. Many discounted this production though because of size bias once again.

Lowry has always done some things at a much higher rate than he was given credit. Defensive awareness, positioning, puck retrieval, he was also decent at scoring goals...

He has added a lot to his skill set however, speed, acceleration, controlled zone entries and exits, passing...

Many of these improvements were visible last season as well.

I try not to take many victory laps around here but my opinions on Lowry against those who constantly called him down and refered to him as a 4th liner is worth a lap to me.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He will have THE shift that will completely dominate an opposition's PP or top line during the dire minutes of a games/series. His usage reminds me of Zetterberg against PIT in during the SCF.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Fuzy memory here.

Don't remember the exact where or when, but the comment stood out to me.

In a pregame scrum the opposing coach, I think it was Lowry's second year, it was I think Babcock who when asked "who on the Jets surprises you?" or something to that effect.
He went on to rave about how good Lowry was, not Buff or Scheif or Wheels or any of the obvious choices...Lowry.

i made a point of watching the guy ever since and I'm always amazed at what he does

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Lowry's basically what I remember of Bob Gainey: big, strong, good skater, always in position, hard on the puck. Managed to dominate physically while hardly taking any penalties this year (8 PIM in 45 games).

Scored well this year too, despite getting hardly any power play time. 21 points in 45 games projects close to 40 points for a full season. That's playing with wingers who mostly can't finish.

For players with 300+ minutes 5v5:
G/60: Lowry 0.81 (113th, between Toffoli and Marleau)
P/60: Lowry 2.19 (56th, between Kessel and Tarasenko)

Those are the Jets 5th best G/60 and P/60 totals this year, 5v5.

Not bad for a "4th liner".

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Probably won't ever score enough, especially on the Jets.

Maybe he will be, I think it would be smart if Maurice stuck him in between Ehlers and Wheeler next season as Lowry is more than deserving to be the 2C after this seasons performance. And I’m sure playing in between two Offensive dynamos he could score quite more often than between Copp/Tanev/Hendricks/Armia/ any of the players he has played with this season...

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Since Nov 16 — the Flyers game when Maurice started matching the Lowry line against opposition top lines — the Jets home record with Lowry in the lineup is?

20-1-1

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lowry is turning into a great player but as good defensively as Gainey? Put an elastic band around your head and snap out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad