Bettman: NHL wants to make another world cup, players Association seems to have no interest

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think I may have already read this post. 875 times in the last 4 pages of the topic.
I guess that everyone has a favourite hobby.
so meaningful depends on the talent or not ?

i guess the ioc's choice of the guy to drive the zamboni is clearly soo much better than the NHL's choice that the IOC should get all the revenues for making a better choice.

seems 100% fair,

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
There’s people playing hockey in Kenya now. That is the goal no? To spread the game? Or you can continue to lose hundreds of millions trying and failing to get the 6.8 million people in Arizona to care.

Arizona is completely irrelevant to Olympic hockey and the point is (which you fail to comprehend every time) is that there is no benefit to the NHL that Kenya has 1 team. That 1 team might generate $500 in revenue for the NHL and yet it costs the NHL millions to send the players. That is one hell of a trade off.

Again, show data that the Olympics actually provide the NHL real growth or admit you are wrong.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
There’s people playing hockey in Kenya now. That is the goal no? To spread the game? Or you can continue to lose hundreds of millions trying and failing to get the 6.8 million people in Arizona to care.
yeah those 15 guys who play hockey in kenya are really going to fill the NHL's coffers !

just wondering, you think that the nhl should forgo a domestic market that can actually contribute to the league's finances in order to chase a minivan full of players who can't and never will ? towatds what end ? to say that 15 guys play hockey when they can get ice ?

I stand corrected, that seems perfectly sensible.

and the purpose of the PRIVATE NHL is not to get people to PLAY, its to get people to PAY like every other freaking business.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
if its the best way to do it, how come it hasnt worked for two decades straight ?
I mean no one expects china to emulate the hockey hotbed that is nagano japan. I mean what's the likelihood of lighting striking twice ? We should just thank out luck stars for it happening once.

20 years participating, no post olympic bump. doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome is the definition of what now ?
Your telling me maybe the greatest American team likely ever iced wouldn’t have produced an increased national interest in the sport/league? Gary dropped the ball big time. This is the same guy who let John Spano buy a team with no money and people love to pretend he actually does a good job.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Your telling me maybe the greatest American team likely ever iced wouldn’t have produced an increased national interest in the sport/league? Gary dropped the ball big time. This is the same guy who let John Spano buy a team with no money and people love to pretend he actually does a good job.
without the ability to use the footage to promote these great american athletes, that's precisely what I am saying. because it is exactly what has happened for 2 decades straight.

and bettman doesnt answer to the fans, he answers to the owners. how are revenues during his tenure ? he didnt drop the ball, he just wised up and stopped being a dope for his corrupt " partner"

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
so meaningful depends on the talent or not ?

i guess the ioc's choice of the guy to drive the zamboni is clearly soo much better than the NHL's choice that the IOC should get all the revenues for making a better choice.

seems 100% fair,
Yeah, yeah. You are brilliant and edgy, we got it.
Now that this is out of the way, even the Euro Hockey Tour is a more meaningful international hockey tournament than the last world cup of hockey.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, yeah. You are brilliant and edgy, we got it.
Now that this is out of the way, even the Euro Hockey Tour is a more meaningful international hockey tournament than the last world cup of hockey.
if you dont care about the level of play ?
sure
in that light the world shampionshiops are also the bee's knees !

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
without the ability to use the footage to promote these great american athletes, that's precisely what I am saying. because it is exactly what has happened for 2 decades straight.

and bettman doesnt answer to the fans, he answers to the owners. how are revenues during his tenure ? he didnt drop the ball, he just wised up and stopped being a dope for his corrupt " partner"
Basketballs popularity overseas shot up dramatically after the 1992 Olympics. Not my fault Gary can’t figure out a way to promote it.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
if you dont care about the level of play ?
sure
in that light the world shampionshiops are also the bee's knees !
I obviously care about the level of play. That said, if you remove nations and put god-knows-whatever-monstrosity-they-will-produce-next-time at an international event, you do not have an international event anymore.

Ok, you despise the IOC and I am on board on that.
But do you like international tournaments?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Arizona is completely irrelevant to Olympic hockey and the point is (which you fail to comprehend every time) is that there is no benefit to the NHL that Kenya has 1 team. That 1 team might generate $500 in revenue for the NHL and yet it costs the NHL millions to send the players. That is one hell of a trade off.

Again, show data that the Olympics actually provide the NHL real growth or admit you are wrong.
The NBA made it work and brought in droves of fans after 1992 Olympic participation. If other leagues can do it and see real benefits so can the NHL.....with competent leadership of course.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Basketballs popularity overseas shot up dramatically after the 1992 Olympics. Not my fault Gary can’t figure out a way to promote it.

so you are admitting that there is no bump but you want him to keep doing it for some amorphous ill defined reason so long as it costs the owners money ?

Gary can't promote it, because his "partner" wont give him the tapes. he's asked. they said no.

and hockey isnt basketball and the NHL isn't the NBA

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
World cup with real national teams >>>Olympics .. NO GIMMICKS INVOLVED.

I have to disagree, Olympics are played on bigger ice and there's a certain prestige to winning olympic gold. Winning world cup is great but it's such a rare tournament that to me it isn't quite as cool as the olympics.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I obviously care about the level of play. That said, if you remove nations and put god-knows-whatever-monstrosity-they-will-produce-next-time at an international event, you do not have an international event anymore.

methinks you are confusing the NHL ( a private league) with the IIHF. that's not the NHL's job.

And having team mixer/young guns at the WC's is still better than having team has beens at the olympics. again unless you really really don't care about the level of play.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have to disagree, Olympics are played on bigger ice and there's a certain prestige to winning olympic gold. Winning world cup is great but it's such a rare tournament that to me it isn't quite as cool as the olympics.
That's... not really true? Canada Cup has been around since 76, and there have been a total of 8 Canada Cups/World Cups (76, 81, 84, 87, 91, 96, 04, 16). NHLers only played in the Olympics 5 times (98, 02, 06, 10, 14).

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

where was that prestige last time ?

there's prestige in winning a best on best tournament, under the rings or nor because that is a real accomplishment. Winning a tournament where you ice pros to beat up the young and the old, takes a little bit of the shine off.

but if that's the only way you can win, you do you !

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

to chest thump ? nope . And I like the stanley cup better than olympics or the world cup.
I like best on best tournaments, which is why I will watch the world shampionships, but it's still and invariably a " best of the rest" tournament.

I ask, not rhetorically, what is the purpose of sport ? to find out who is the " best"? or to find out who is the best of those that were allowed to participate ? it they had a topurnament of steves, where all of the steves from different countries got together and played, would you care that your country's steves came out victorious ? Me I couldnt give two craps.

but I'm glad my hatred for the ioc came through,

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That's... not really true? Canada Cup has been around since 76, and there have been a total of 8 Canada Cups/World Cups (76, 81, 84, 87, 91, 96, 04, 16). NHLers only played in the Olympics 5 times (98, 02, 06, 10, 14).
Gretzky played in a bunch of Canada cups and his biggest career regret was not winning Olympic gold. You can’t compare the other tourneys to the Olympics it’s just not the same.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
so you are admitting that there is no bump but you want him to keep doing it for some amorphous ill defined reason so long as it costs the owners money ?

Gary can't promote it, because his "partner" wont give him the tapes. he's asked. they said no.

and hockey isnt basketball and the NHL isn't the NBA
The NHL needs all the help it can get to grow the game that much is evident. Gary can’t promote it because this is his idea of promotion

The Guardian Project (comics) - Wikipedia

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Ok, sorry for trying. Go on with your scarily repetitive posts there may be someone out there that may have missed your point, just remember to eat every now and then. It's not healthy otherwise.
Obviously international tournaments are not your thing, but that's fine, I do not like bananas, so we are even.

if you don't want me to answer, maybey consider not asking me a direct question ?

I'm fine with international tournaments, provided they are best on best. I don't have a problem with NHL players at the olympics, because best on best under the rings is just as good as best on best under the shield or anywhere else.

but I do recognize that the owners, they don't share my enthusiasm when they are asked to provide the draw and get nothing in return. If the IOC would do the reasonable thing and pay the NHL owners for the talent, things would be peachy. the league would shut dowm, the players who want to play get to represent their countries in a best on best torney and the owners don't get left holding the bag. its a win win win.

unfortunately, the IOC isnt interested unless they get the draw for free and the owners get all the risk.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
The NBA made it work and brought in droves of fans after 1992 Olympic participation. If other leagues can do it and see real benefits so can the NHL.....with competent leadership of course.

It costs nothing to play basketball, absolutely nothing. You need a ball and a couple of buckets and your ready to go. If you want to play hockey then good luck, you will need hundreds if not thousands. Hockey will never see the growth like other major sports because the costs involved. Considering that Bettman brought the league back from the verge of bankruptcy and it is now raking in billions of dollars of revenue then I will take their word and expertise over your "opinion".

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The NHL needs all the help it can get to grow the game that much is evident. Gary can’t promote it because this is his idea of promotion

The Guardian Project (comics) - Wikipedia
how are revenues under bettman ? the league is gonna get more than a billion in expansion fees over three years. ooooh the horrors !

promoting the leagues best players is kind of tied to actually showing the best players.
Maybe the NHL could have a bunch of stick man flip books to recreate what happens at the olympics that they could drop out of planes over kenya !

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Gretzky played in a bunch of Canada cups and his biggest career regret was not winning Olympic gold. You can’t compare the other tourneys to the Olympics it’s just not the same.
Probably because he won multiple Canada Cups, and didn't win an Olympic gold (doesn't make the Olympics more important/special/relevant)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad