Bettman: NHL wants to make another world cup, players Association seems to have no interest

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
It’s because they want the Olympics you ****ing moron.

He’ll never get it.
I'm not convinced the majority of the PA cares about the Olympics (otherwise they'd have never missed the last one if the majority actually cared); I don't think they care about the World Cup either

The players care about money/the CBA though (just like the owners) and aren't going to give the World Cup "for free" anymore than the owners were going to give the Olympics "for free" - that's all this means IMO

The PA choose the ability to opt out of the current agreement over Olympic participation (by their actions the players have already shown they care about money/power, not international play)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s because they want the Olympics you ****ing moron.

He’ll never get it.
Well, also money. Crosby and the others gave up like 3 weeks of their off season training to play and the winning side for $100k each?

Most of the team canada guys make that in 4 periods of regular season hockey.

Not really a financial windfall for them for playing.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
NHL owners want a World Cup in 2020 but the players dont care about it. NHLPA wants to go to the Olympics in 2022 but the Owners dont care about it.

...oh if only there was an incredibly obvious middle ground that could be reached... something that both sides could get what they want...oh I wonder...
Players wanted to go to the 2018 winter games but Bettman didn't let them. Theyre not gonna work for free so Bettman can make money off of them. What did he think was gonna happen.

Reactions: Eisen

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
It's obvious players realized the World Cup didn't and won't bring the players the kind of money that would make up for not getting to play at the Olympics. Bettman and the owners need to understand that.
The vast majority of players don't play in the Olympics and never will, and so have no need to "make up for not getting to play at the Olympics"

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Players wanted to go to the 2018 winter games but Bettman didn't let them. Theyre not gonna work for free so Bettman can make money off of them. What did he think was gonna happen.
Players could have gone and choose not too (unless you think there's current labor issues worthy of missing the Olympics over...I don't/didn't)

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I wish it was possible to make the World Cup something that isn't a watered-down Olympics, something that players would want to win as badly as a Stanley Cup or an Olympic gold. I just have no idea how to do that.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
im super excited for a potential north american u23 team taking on team europe at the next world cup...
I never watched either play just on principle (I watched a bit of a couple of Canada's round robin games and that's it); nobody is advocating those teams happen again that I know of (and that's a good thing!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->