Bettman got 4% raise last year

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Ike, your math may be quite simple. Unfortunately it is also clearly wrong.

As I said I will try to find the time to answer your post but to show just one pice of evidence let's take a look at your claim that revenues grew 15%. We know that the mid point of the cap is set in direct proportion to league revenues. The midpoint last year was $51.4M and the increase was $4.9M. That looks to me to be a 9.5% increase not the 15% you quote.

Okay I can go with that, switching the numbers to 200m makes your theory work only if Canadian team revenue is a third of all league revenue, a claim that you only support with a lot of suppositions as we will soon see. Should we use the more realistic 28% we find the currency contribution is about a third of the league's revenue increase in their flat US revenue year, and rather less using the numbers from before the crash. Given Fugu has been making this claim since before the economy tanked, I suppose we can say that should the US credit get destroyed and the economy enters a full blown 30s style recession, she might someday actually be correct. ;)

You are using a made up number of 25% of the league revenue in $CDN. We may not know the actual percentage, but we do know this is not even close top correct. This is not some feeling I have. We ran this one through the ringer some time ago. But as just one piece of evidence to support my position, we saw from the leaked Globe and Mail numbers from several years ago that the Canadian teams had between 28 and 29% of the leagues gate receipts. Factoring in known TV revenues and merchandising and the most conservative of us would have put the % of revenue in $CDN at between 31-33% at the time. Since then the disproportionate success of the Canadian franchises through the down-turn and the very significant rise in the $CDN would mean that this percentage would very likely have been between 36-40% of the actual revenues. (I am happy to live with the midpoint of 38%). So your estimate of $750M in revenues in $CDN needs to be explained.

That's 750m US, actually (and it works out to about 26%). You are happy to live with whatever made up numbers you like. I work with the published numbers. If you have better, feel free to show me the link. ;)

Also incorrect would be to characterize the Canadian franchises as having "disproportionate success". In fact the three smaller are pretty much settled in the range of upper midrange US franchises with little difference (in fact take currency out of the equation and these teams may not have grown revenues at all). Toronto also grew at a proportional rate. Vancouver did as well though they probably got a big boost this year. The only one getting anomalously high increases was Montreal. In fact taking Montreal out of the equation drops the expected currency contribution almost in half with a corresponding reduction in the overall percentages, which shows the folly of trying to use the total Canadian revenues in the first place as the basis. Should the currency theory have been correct, there would have been a much smoother set of gains between the six teams rather than some being proportional, while others way out of whack.

Finally, your last point makes no sense since revenues are always quoted in $US.

What it is reported in doesn't matter. If you are going to claim the league's Canadian teams are overcontributing to revenue gains because of currency, it is absolutely just as valid to say the US teams are undercontributing to revenue gains because of currency. It is the exact same thing. I find it quite ironic that the base of Fugu's anti-league stance on revenues is actually more accurate in showing the league is doing better than they should be, succeeding DESPITE a terrible US dollar. Maybe Fugu's a closet Bettman fan after all. :D

Fugu

What it is reported in doesn't matter. If you are going to claim the league's Canadian teams are overcontributing to revenue gains because of currency, it is absolutely just as valid to say the US teams are undercontributing to revenue gains because of currency. It is the exact same thing. I find it quite ironic that the base of Fugu's anti-league stance on revenues is actually more accurate in showing the league is doing better than they should be, succeeding DESPITE a terrible US dollar. Maybe Fugu's a closet Bettman fan after all. :D

:laugh:

To be really accurate, I'd like to see Cdn teams contribution in the CAD and US teams contribution in the USD. Leave the currency stuff out of it. However, since there's a cap system that forces the league to count up everyone's pennies, the pennies must be of the same ilk.

Thus, in this case, the standard is the USD. Your assertion that the US teams are undercontributing is completely invalid because they only have to report (or be counted) in USD.

1 USD will always equal 1 USD. ;)

You don't have to worry about the translation to other currencies until you want to buy something in that currency. Since players are paid in USD, the Canadian teams are realistically the only guys who have to worry about real translation on a somewhat routine basis. As for their other costs, they receive Cdn dollars, for the most part, and nonplayer expenses are paid in Cdn dollars.

The NHL only needs one value per year, and that's the avg from Jul1-30Jun for any given year. It may work for the NHL, but it wouldn't work for anyone actually involved in international commerce.

And again..... you fail to separate actual revenues and noncurrency growth by Cdn teams from the paper gain the league recognizes when it reports all revenue, year over year. Using Fourier's Oilers, if they exhibited zero growth, and had $100 MM in revenues in 2010 and 2011 ($CA), but the Cdn dollar increased by 15% from 2010 value to 2011, the league would 'recognize' $115 MM in HRR from the Oilers. The Oilers would still only actually have $100 MM Cdn..... (however players would be cheaper).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Okay I can go with that, switching the numbers to 200m makes your theory work only if Canadian team revenue is a third of all league revenue, a claim that you only support with a lot of suppositions as we will soon see. Should we use the more realistic 28% we find the currency contribution is about a third of the league's revenue increase in their flat US revenue year, and rather less using the numbers from before the crash. Given Fugu has been making this claim since before the economy tanked, I suppose we can say that should the US credit get destroyed and the economy enters a full blown 30s style recession, she might someday actually be correct. ;)

That's 750m US, actually (and it works out to about 26%). You are happy to live with whatever made up numbers you like. I work with the published numbers. If you have better, feel free to show me the link. ;)

Since you asked for a link here are a few to start with:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=520456

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/05/30/nhl-revenues-canada.html
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=455997
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=432481
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=426237
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/12/17/daily15.html

Now if you read through this mess you will see lots of stuff to cherry pick. But to give you the reader's digest version, this is a brief look at what I call the great 1/3 wars. This was a big debate around here for several years. The issue at hand was the %age of revenues from $CDN sources. (This is different than the revenue from Canadian teams becuase it includes shared revenues as well, something your calculations ignore.)

Some had argued that $CDN revenues were at 40% of the NHL total. This came from a comment made by Eugene Melnyk. More moderate posters suggested 1/3 of the revenues were from $CDN sources. On the other extreme was our old friend GSC who claimed this was rubish.

Now being GSC he set out to prove this. His arguement started with the leaked Globe numbers that showed 28.7% of the league gate receipts were from the Canadian teams. Then using TV money and some estimates of other sources, GSC eventually settled in at 31%. And of course he claimed that this debunked the great 1/3 myth since .31<.33.

Personally, my numbers supported GSC's against the claim of 40%. But with a modest error band I got between 31-33%.

So that is where my made up numbers come from.

Now at this point you claim to be working from published numbers, but I do not see the definitive link that you of course should be able to provide.

Also incorrect would be to characterize the Canadian franchises as having "disproportionate success". In fact the three smaller are pretty much settled in the range of upper midrange US franchises with little difference (in fact take currency out of the equation and these teams may not have grown revenues at all). Toronto also grew at a proportional rate. Vancouver did as well though they probably got a big boost this year. The only one getting anomalously high increases was Montreal. In fact taking Montreal out of the equation drops the expected currency contribution almost in half with a corresponding reduction in the overall percentages, which shows the folly of trying to use the total Canadian revenues in the first place as the basis. Should the currency theory have been correct, there would have been a much smoother set of gains between the six teams rather than some being proportional, while others way out of whack.

Ike, you come here once in a blue moon when someone challenges Bettman. The rest of us actually follow what is going on.

First lets be clear, my claim is that since the big downfall that the Canadian teams have had a disproportionate growth in revenues. Given the relative strengths of the two economies I wonder why this might even be up for debate. But since you seem to disagree, why do I say this?

My first piece of evidence is the fact that every Canadian team with the possible exception of Ottawa increased their ticket prices by at least 5% in each year since the recession. A significant number of US teams either froze prices or rolled them back. The Canadian teams maintained their attendance throughout the recession. The Oilers and Flames added substantially to their TV monies with the new Sportsnet deal...

If you would like me to go on I can.

Now this does not suggest that there were not some successful US teams because there were. But the statement that the Canadian teams did better proportionally throughout the recession is undisputable.

Honestly Ike, I don't even know what to say here. This is so completely and obviously wrong that it seems futile to respond. The NHL converts all of their income into US dollars. And as Fugu so aptly points out, no matter when you make this conversion

$1 US = $1US.

So now back to the question we started with...the impact of the change in the $CDN from downturn...

First let's calculate league revneues. To do this we use the cap of $64.3 and subtract $8M to get the midpoint of $56.3M. Factoring out the 5% inflator gives a true midpoint of $53.62M. With the players share at 57% and with 30 teams that gives us an estimate of revenues at $2.82B with a little wiggle room.

Now back to my estiamtes of the % in $CDN. Assuming the range of 31-33% was accurate when calculated , factoring in that the dollar has appreciated by about 14% from that time would under proportional grow give us a new range of 35-37%. From their factoring in significant things things like the increases in CDN TV money as well as even an extremely modest disproportional growth rate for CDN teams and that number is easily in the 37-39% range for the 2010-2011 season. (This may drop a touch when the new US TV contract kicks in).

So at the midpoint of 38% that would put an estimate of the income from $CDN sources at $1.07B. If there had been no currency increase since the recession that number would be 16% lower giving us a currency related growth number of $171M since the recession.

Now the cap has gone up $7.6M since the recession. This corresponds to a growth in revenues of $400M give or take a few pennies.

Aand finally $171M out of $400M is 42.8%.

You may not know this about me, but I am actually pretty good with numbers. So when I said my guess was in the range of 40-45% I was not just pulling things out of the air.

Last edited:

zeus3007*

You are damn right I am upset we deserve an NHL. team in Hamilton more than any other city in North America & the only reason why there is not is the illegal mob like tatics of MLSE. & to a lesser extient the Sabres when it comes to so called teritory rights & what really gets me mad is that the NHL. tolerates these mob like shake downs they have been doing for years & don't have the balls to stand up to them .

Mob like shake downs? Territorial rights are not mob like tactics, they are actually quite common. Look at almost any private owner franchise-based corporation (fast food joints are a great example) and you will see territorial rights. Despite your uninformed and very biased opinion, these territorial rights are legally binding, its not Bettman just giving Hamilton the finger.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Bettman's salary seems in line with the other commissioner salaries. Behind MLB, 3 guys at the NFL, and the NBA. Ahead of PGA and MLS. Not sure about NASCAR or IRL, their chairs are also seem tied into ownership. From a purely money making standpoint some of the NCAA conference chairs maybe are low at around $1, but that likely means they make more than their bosses.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
So, it's safe to assume you're part of the 10% that think Elvis is still alive?

And GB may personally dislike you as well.

Im no tin hatter Gb out and out lied to us during a lockout caused by his own bosses inablities to be sane men not idiots with money and no brain
there is where my dislike for him was truly hardened and i do think Canadas teams and fans will see no cup here ever under his watch yet we pay far more support the game at every level better than anywhere else on earth and supply 70% of its players or close to.
GB treats Canadas fans like crap it pisses me off and i have that right.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Can you elaborate specifically on this point? How do you see Bettman accomplishing this?

:naughty::laugh:

1) Threatening to fine Vancouver a large chunk of change if they ever fire Gillis as GM.
2) Threatening to fine MLSE even more if they dont guarantee Burke's Contract for life.
3) Threatening Montreal with Beliveau'ian expulsions from the HHOF.
4) Threatening Eugene Melnyk with the release of his business plan for MLG & the relo of the Senators to Toronto.
5) Threatening Calgary & Edmonton to take sides with & fund anti-poverty activists.
6) Paying graft to the refs, time-keepers & goal judges in all Canadian buildings, losing re-play feeds.
7) Insuring CBC loses out on its bid to retain HNIC, awarded to CTV, who are then bought out by NBC/Versus.
8) Moving the HHOF from Toronto to Sunrise.
9) Enforcing an American Dollar Equalization system on the Canadian teams with loonies flowing south.
10) Having the scheduling department book games for the Canadian franchises on par with Apollo mission mileage.
11) Adding weights & tension to Canadian teams rookie Combine testing resulting in career ending injuries.
12) ..........

more?.

Canuckommunist

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
You mean forcing the Canucks to fire Gillis. He's the only GM since Quinn barely managed the team to get us to within a few goals of a Stanley Cup final win, even if the team ended up blowing it.

I don't see the connection between a Bettman raise (which is performance-based and the performance has been very good) and arguments about the merit of Canadian teams' growth relative to the NHL. Or is the title just a trick and we're really getting into another pissfest over whether you'd like 3 Canadian teams or 6 or 10 (or whatever number you please).

:naughty::laugh:

1) Threatening to fine Vancouver a large chunk of change if they ever fire Gillis as GM.
2) Threatening to fine MLSE even more if they dont guarantee Burke's Contract for life.
3) Threatening Montreal with Beliveau'ian expulsions from the HHOF.
4) Threatening Eugene Melnyk with the release of his business plan for MLG & the relo of the Senators to Toronto.
5) Threatening Calgary & Edmonton to take sides with & fund anti-poverty activists.
6) Paying graft to the refs, time-keepers & goal judges in all Canadian buildings, losing re-play feeds.
7) Insuring CBC loses out on its bid to retain HNIC, awarded to CTV, who are then bought out by NBC/Versus.
8) Moving the HHOF from Toronto to Sunrise.
9) Enforcing an American Dollar Equalization system on the Canadian teams with loonies flowing south.
10) Having the scheduling department book games for the Canadian franchises on par with Apollo mission mileage.
11) Adding weights & tension to Canadian teams rookie Combine testing resulting in career ending injuries.
12) ..........

more?.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Since you asked for a link here are a few to start with:

So, a quick perusal of your links shows that every official voice in the league or NHLPA disagrees with your analysis of revenue splits?

Um, thanks, I guess.

Ike, you come here once in a blue moon when someone challenges Bettman. The rest of us actually follow what is going on.

Don't give me that, I've been here as long as you, I just choose not to battle the groupthink here as most of the educated voices that go contrary to it have gone... missing (case in point - the guy who pointed out the edit earlier in the thread), or simply tire of having to post or post rebuttals to the exact same arguments over and over as they get ignored (the fact I've already posted a detailed mathematical analysis of Canadian currency which was summarily ignored being a striking case in point). As we see from Fugu's post after yours, there's a considerable amount of positive feedback loopage coupled with some other posters posting utterly insane 'theories' ("Canada will never win a cup with Bettman as commissioner") that make it far too tiring to stay here for very long to defend the truth.

First lets be clear, my claim is that since the big downfall that the Canadian teams have had a disproportionate growth in revenues.

If you are admitting that the percentage isn't nearly as significant if you go before the US crash - which I believe you already have earlier - then you are not as far from my position as you think. When I worked the numbers the first time disproving Fugu I actually worked from 2004.

I have no problem saying that the Canadian share of league revenues has been stronger since the economic crash, though the degree of this is of course what is still being overstated.

Given the relative strengths of the two economies I wonder why this might even be up for debate. But since you seem to disagree, why do I say this?

My first piece of evidence is the fact that every Canadian team with the possible exception of Ottawa increased their ticket prices by at least 5% in each year since the recession. A significant number of US teams either froze prices or rolled them back. The Canadian teams maintained their attendance throughout the recession. The Oilers and Flames added substantially to their TV monies with the new Sportsnet deal...

If you would like me to go on I can.

You can if you like. All I see is theories to disregard the official statements from the league and NHLPA in order to substitute your own numbers. I can't stop you from doing that. I don't have to believe yours are more accurate, though.

Now this does not suggest that there were not some successful US teams because there were. But the statement that the Canadian teams did better proportionally throughout the recession is undisputable.

Some did, some didn't. Some US teams did, some didn't too. Take out the unusually high increase from Montreal and the Canadian teams didn't really do any differently once the money came in, regardless of where it originated from. It's worth noting that the fact some Canadian teams did not grow even at the rate of the CAD (which indicates their true revenues actually shrank) seems to have been ignored. Stronger CAD at the rates you are claiming should have made for a smooth ratio of performance from the Canadian teams, but this did not happen.

Honestly Ike, I don't even know what to say here. This is so completely and obviously wrong that it seems futile to respond. The NHL converts all of their income into US dollars. And as Fugu so aptly points out, no matter when you make this conversion

$1 US = $1US.

I would have thought it goes without saying that if the US dollar was stronger, the relative contribution of Canadian teams would be lower, since a stronger US dollar raises its value relative to the Canadian dollar by definition. This is pretty basic stuff and the only reason I can see that you would argue against it is because you have misread it somehow. Do you really think Canadian team revenues relative to the total go up if the Canadian dollar goes up but US team revenues relative to the total don't go up if the US dollar goes up? No, you don't believe that, but you seem to be arguing it suddenly.

If you are a money person as you seem to be hinting, you must know that currency is simply a frame of reference. It doesn't matter in the least what it is reported in. Easy math:

Total revenues: 10b US
US revenues to Can revenues: 5b/5b
Dollars: 1:1

Cut the US dollar in half: 15b US total, contributions 5b from US 10b from Canada, Canadian contribution increases from 50% to 67%. Use CAD: 7.5b CAD total, contributions 2.5b from US 5b from Canada, Canadian contribution increases from 50% to 67%. That is the "US dollar got weaker" math. Or, from original numbers, double the strength of Canadian dollar. 15b US total, contributions 5b from US 10b from Canada, Canadian contribution increases from 50% to 67%. Use CAD: 7.5b CAD total, contributions 2.5b from US 5b from Canada, Canadian contribution increases from 50% to 67%. That's the "Canadian dollar got stronger" math.

The numbers stay exactly the same.

And so follows what I said. The ratio of Canadian team revenues to US team revenues does not change whether or not you increase the value of the Canadian dollar or decrease the value of the US dollar at the same relative rate. Therefore, it is just as valid to say the US teams' relative share of the league revenues are underperforming because of a weak US dollar relative to the CAD as it is to say the Canadian teams' relative share of the league revenues are overperforming because of a strong CAD relative to the US dollar. However, because this indicates that the league is actually doing better than might be expected from their revenue, which runs counter to the prevailing opinion of those who dislike the league's leadership, this view is for some reason being disparaged, even though it uses the exact same numbers.

Convert revenues to a third party and it would be blatantly obvious that I am right in this.

So now back to the question we started with...the impact of the change in the $CDN from downturn...

First let's calculate league revneues. To do this we use the cap of $64.3 and subtract $8M to get the midpoint of $56.3M. Factoring out the 5% inflator gives a true midpoint of $53.62M. With the players share at 57% and with 30 teams that gives us an estimate of revenues at $2.82B with a little wiggle room.

The league has already stated it is over 2.9b, but sure, let's use that.

Now back to my estiamtes of the % in $CDN. Assuming the range of 31-33% was accurate when calculated , factoring in that the dollar has appreciated by about 14% from that time would under proportional grow give us a new range of 35-37%.

What dates are you using? I've been using a more useful yearly increase of 10%. Using the more likely numbers actually supplied by official sources in your own links puts this at about 29%-30% so far.

From their factoring in significant things things like the increases in CDN TV money as well as even an extremely modest disproportional growth rate for CDN teams and that number is easily in the 37-39% range for the 2010-2011 season. (This may drop a touch when the new US TV contract kicks in).

So at the midpoint of 38% that would put an estimate of the income from $CDN sources at $1.07B. If there had been no currency increase since the recession that number would be 16% lower giving us a currency related growth number of $171M since the recession.

Well, thank you for your numbers. They aren't necessarily right, mind you, but its nice to see the assumptions behind them.

Now lets go through your math using the numbers actually given by people with access to the real thing. Given 26% given by the NHLPA and Forbes (which jives with Bettman's statements, though he didn't give a direct number), boosted by a 10% currency gain to about 29% to be kind to you in rounding, and giving the same 2% you're assuming without any numbers from a CBC gain, we now have Canadian revenues at about 870m which oddly enough falls exactly in line with my own estimations from expected gains from 2010 if Canadian teams grew about the same as American teams.

10% lower to drop the currency increase is about 87m. 87m out of 400m is 22%, a bit higher than I was estimating but not out of the ballpark, and the actual amount (rather than the relative percentage) is very much inside what I was suggesting, if a bit at the high end.

Using your math shows my number to be correct using official sources, so unless you believe the NHL and NHLPA were/are lying, the only provable bias is in your own assumptions. I don't have any desire to fight this "1/3" battle with you as you've obviously spent far more time on it than I am willing to go into; I'll just stick with the official numbers given.

Given official numbers, the yearly gains from the Canadian currency is at best a yearly boost of 22% or so each of the last couple years, and since the lockout far less.

And that's undeniable regardless of whether or not Fugu thinks it is... elegant.

:D

You may not know this about me, but I am actually pretty good with numbers. So when I said my guess was in the range of 40-45% I was not just pulling things out of the air.

Actually, the problem seems to be that you are. You are using your assumptions or subjecting revenue to analysis that runs contrary to official sources that are in your own links. Hey I'm not going to say that is wrong. But you, in turn, cannot say my numbers are wrong while using the numbers actually stated by people who do, in fact, have direct access to the league books.

One other thing Fugu is wrong about - I DID, in fact, separate currency revenue from non-currency revenue - in fact, I showed that currency couldn't possibly be the most significant factor (defining this as 50%+) in league revenues because there simply wasn't enough of a gain.

HookeyPookey*

Last time I checked you get raises when you do something signifcant. All he's done his steer a steady ship

Fugu

I love how someone says they've debunked or disproved things somewhere, once upon a time, but fail to ever actually show what/how it was disproved.

A proof of something requires real data, not speculation and conjecture.

Fugu

Last time I checked you get raises when you do something signifcant. All he's done his steer a steady ship

Only since the lockout, do you believe the following constitute a steady ship?

*Tampa sold twice, the second time because the first buyers were never qualified to buy an NHL team at all?
*Several teams declining in franchise value to pre-lockout levels after experiencing an initial euphoric bump due to the lockout ending?
*Moyes placing an NHL team he'd allegedly signed over to the NHL's control in bankruptcy protection--- after accepting an offer to have the team sold to a guy that wanted to move it into MLSE's territory?
*Said team is still owned by the league, going into the third year, with no real candidates on the horizon.
*Atlanta, which wasn't even considered a relo target, finishes out the season and less than two months later is packing its bags headed for ..... Winnipeg.
*Dallas has been mired in something due to the NHL owner leveraging the crap out of anything he owned, so much so, that he owes far more money than the franchise could ever be worth.
(This may be one of the bright spots.)

I'm sure I forgot to punt something else out here, to boot it.... but you get the drift. :D

Oh, and since the lockout, three Original Six teams have won the Cup. Those are some mighty fine odds.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site

*Tampa sold twice, the second time because the first buyers were never qualified to buy an NHL team at all?
*Several teams declining in franchise value to pre-lockout levels after experiencing an initial euphoric bump due to the lockout ending?
*Moyes placing an NHL team he'd allegedly signed over to the NHL's control in bankruptcy protection--- after accepting an offer to have the team sold to a guy that wanted to move it into MLSE's territory?
*Said team is still owned by the league, going into the third year, with no real candidates on the horizon.
*Atlanta, which wasn't even considered a relo target, finishes out the season and less than two months later is packing its bags headed for ..... Winnipeg.
*Dallas has been mired in something due to the NHL owner leveraging the crap out of anything he owned, so much so, that he owes far more money than the franchise could ever be worth.
(This may be one of the bright spots.)

I'm sure I forgot to punt something else out here, to boot it.... but you get the drift.
:D

Oh, and since the lockout, three Original Six teams have won the Cup. Those are some mighty fine odds.

how could you forget about Boots Del Biaggio?

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I support the NHL's southern US expansion because I think it's the best way to grow the sport in North America.. Would team's in Canada draw bigger audiences and make more money? Seems to be the case, but the sport itself could not possibly grow more in Canada.. It's already huge there, so it's not like some kid in Winnipeg is now going to decide to play hockey because he has an NHL team there.. Odds are he started skating when he was able to walk.. Yeah, I'm sure lots of kids in the Quebec City area are not growing up playing hockey because they don't have an NHL team there (sarcasm).. Not a chance that's the case

But the sport can grow in the Southern US.. The NHL teams bring an awareness of the sport.. Rinks go up in the area and kids decide it might be a fun sport to try.. The programs get better, and after a while (this doesn't happen in the blink of an eye) you start to see NHL talent coming out of these areas.. We've see a lot more Texas and southern California (for example) hockey players getting drafted these past few years than we did 20+ years ago.. I guarantee that there are a few people from the southern US who would be big names in the NHL right now if only they had been brought up playing hockey..

Hell, even in NJ we had the Rangers and Flyers for decades, and the Devils since 1982. But only since the late 90's did we actually see a lot of rinks being built.. Now we have great talent like James van Reimsdyk and 2012 top 5 prospect Nick Ebert coming from New Jersey.. We had a team in NJ for 2 decades, and 2 close teams in the area for 30+ years, before high school hockey in the state became big and top quality talent starting being produced..

But I hear a lot of Canadians bemoaning the fact that they deserve more NHL teams.. Yes, they would do better in Canada than in the southern US, but the sport won't grow and talent from the south won't have a chance to be found.. The MLB is very aggressive in trying to expand to China and South America, because the more people you have growing up playing a sport and the better the development programs there are in those areas, the bigger your talent pool will be and thus the better your talent will be.. Better talent = more exciting action = more fans paying to watch games

The expansion to the southern US (just like expansion in European countries) is great for the business that is the NHL.. Some people need to see what is best for the future of the NHL, not what is best for a sport they feel their country is entitled to have played in its major cities

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
You've provided the best argument for Bettman to get a 50% raise.
  1. Tampa sold twice, the second time because the first buyers were never qualified to buy an NHL team at all?
    Were there proprly qualified local owners available the first time, or would the only other choice have been to relocate?
  2. Several teams declining in franchise value to pre-lockout levels after experiencing an initial euphoric bump due to the lockout ending?
    I understand that Pontiac, Saturn, and Hummer franchises didn't do too well recently, either. :sarcasm: People blame Bettman for a lot, but you're the first person I've heard that blames him for the great recession.
  3. Moyes placing an NHL team he'd allegedly signed over to the NHL's control in bankruptcy protection--- after accepting an offer to have the team sold to a guy that wanted to move it into MLSE's territory?
    And how is Bettman supposed to over-rule American bankruptcy law?
  4. Said team is still owned by the league, going into the third year, with no real candidates on the horizon.
    The NHL tried to craft a deal, but the GWI got in the way. In the long run, that may have been a good thing, avoing another fiasco in 5 years.
  5. Atlanta, which wasn't even considered a relo target, finishes out the season and less than two months later is packing its bags headed for ..... Winnipeg.
    Again, how was Bettman supposed to know several years ago that ASG were lying through their teeth about wanting the Thrashers?
  6. Dallas has been mired in something due to the NHL owner leveraging the crap out of anything he owned, so much so, that he owes far more money than the franchise could ever be worth.
    And Bettman is supposed to have been clairvoyant?

I'm sure I forgot to punt something else out here, to boot it.... but you get the drift. :D
Boots del Biagio is one you missed. Bettman is a commissioner, not an auditor. He trusted the NHL's auditors. They got fooled by del Biagio, just like several banks' auditors got fooled by del Biagio.

As I said before, you've provided excellent arguments for Bettman getting a much larger raise. As you said, the above do not constitute a steady ship. Bettman had his hands full avoiding contraction, and I wouldn't want his job, even for twice his pay. Except for possibly item #1 above, I do not see how any normal competent commissioner could've forseen/avoided them. It's easy to criticise Bettman. Can you come up with any ideas about what he should've done differently? Note that these ideas must not include clairvoyance and/or time-travel. ;)

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I support the NHL's southern US expansion because I think it's the best way to grow the sport in North America.. Would team's in Canada draw bigger audiences and make more money? Seems to be the case, but the sport itself could not possibly grow more in Canada.. It's already huge there, so it's not like some kid in Winnipeg is now going to decide to play hockey because he has an NHL team there.. Odds are he started skating when he was able to walk.. Yeah, I'm sure lots of kids in the Quebec City area are not growing up playing hockey because they don't have an NHL team there (sarcasm).. Not a chance that's the case

But the sport can grow in the Southern US.. The NHL teams bring an awareness of the sport..
[...deletia...]
The expansion to the southern US (just like expansion in European countries) is great for the business that is the NHL.. Some people need to see what is best for the future of the NHL, not what is best for a sport they feel their country is entitled to have played in its major cities
Why does it have to be an either-or choice? Why not expand in Canada AND the US? That's the ultimate win-win scenario. And healthy Canadian teams will provide revenue-sharing money to help keep struggling US teams aflot through their bad years :)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I opened a thread about Bettman's raise and found myself in an economics class. The guy is not doing a horrible job, so there.

Let's hope the sport can continue it's upward trend recently and hope for a long NBA lockout. Not because I think it will help the NHL as much long term as many people believe, I just hate the NBA.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Why does it have to be an either-or choice? Why not expand in Canada AND the US? That's the ultimate win-win scenario. And healthy Canadian teams will provide revenue-sharing money to help keep struggling US teams aflot through their bad years :)

Wouldn't that require adding more teams to the league? I don't see that as being viable right now, but I'd definitely be all for it if possible.. I still don't think that the sport could grow much more in Canada by adding more Canadian teams..

Plus, the Canadian fans would still complain that Whitehorse and Yellowknife deserve teams before the southern US ;) The new NHL era: Northern Canada Expansion

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Wouldn't that require adding more teams to the league? I don't see that as being viable right now, but I'd definitely be all for it if possible.. I still don't think that the sport could grow much more in Canada by adding more Canadian teams..

Plus, the Canadian fans would still complain that Whitehorse and Yellowknife deserve teams before the southern US ;) The new NHL era: Northern Canada Expansion
Actually Quebec, and Hamilton are the only Canadian sites that should be considered, although Hamilton has other issues.:(

Gary's biggest future challenge will finding willing+acceptable owners in the US. Balsillie is not acceptable. Hulsizer might be OK as a partner or minority shareholder but not as a full owner. His net worth has been estimated between $300 to $600 million. It's hard to free up 50% of one's "net worth" without divesting most of one's investments. Even at the top end of the estimate, Hulsizer would have $300 million to spend. Let's say $150 million for a franchise, and $150 million to cover 5 or 6 years of losses. Definitely marginal as a single owner.

The obvious targets for Bettman to work on would be Paul Allen (Portland) and Les Alexander (Houston). Landing 1 or both of them as owners would be earning his paycheque.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
They both blow..... sorry, fact!.

I love it when people say "fact". It's like when people start to say something with "but". My dad always taught me it's a nice cue for bs follows and turns out he's been right for the most part. There's no need to clog a Business of Hockey thread about it, but he far from sucks, and GM of the Year as well as a good game away from a Stanley Cup win (despite being a GM for only 3 years) says otherwise.

He deserves the raise, plain and simple. The NHL's profitable in so many areas and is expanding despite the recession. Surprised he didn't get more tbh.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad