Bettman got 4% raise last year

Grimace

May 6, 2011
he should get a rasie AND a bonous. he's doing a GREAT job!! keep up the good work Mr.Bettman!!

of course i should say i'm from winnipeg and we just a got a team again so that may have played a little bit of a factor why i think he's doing good. :)

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
eh he's doing a good job imo. compared to stern in the nba who makes 23 million and that league is a train wreck. can't complain with his pay and the direction the league is going

wingz rule

Aug 24, 2010
Vaughan, Ontario
he should get a rasie AND a bonous. he's doing a GREAT job!! keep up the good work Mr.Bettman!!

of course i should say i'm from winnipeg and we just a got a team again so that may have played a little bit of a factor why i think he's doing good. :)

meh he was a bit of an ass when they announced winnipeg got their team, so i really wouldn't give him too much credit for that.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The list of transgressions for Bettman is surprisingly small:
-- moving the awards to Vegas
-- no resolution for the Phoenix situation

That's pretty much it. The vast majority of things he's blamed for are not on him at all. Things like:
-- Southern expansion
-- Six divisions & dropping the Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe names.
-- QUE, WIN, HAR, MIN relocating
-- Atlanta "failing"

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I got a 10% raise last year and I'm pretty sure he had more of an impact on his company's bottom line than I did. I have no problem with executive compensation; it's the market value of a unique skill-set.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I'll second that, Bettman is doing a great job and an even larger raise is in order!:D

PS I'm also from Winnipeg and the fact that we got a team back has no bearing on my opinion of Bettman.;)

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Did Bettman really do anything to get Winnipeg a team? Didn't he just shrug and go "Well, okay, if no one in Atlanta wants to buy the team because they won't own an arena, I'll rubber stamp a sale"

The same argument I use to say MIN, HAR, QUE and WIN weren't his doing applies here.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Gary Bettman doing a great job my ass the guy has screwed up the NHL. so bad it ain't funny oh where to start .

-Southern USA. expansion
-1994 - 1995 lockout cost the NHL. half a season
-2005 lockout cost the NHL. the entire 2005 season
-Atlanta failing
-The Coyotes fiasco
-Lost the big TV. deal do to the 2005 lockout
-The NHL. went from the #1 in the early 90's all way down to #5 right now out of all the major North American sports & are endanger being over taken by the MLS. & droping down to #6 under Bettman's reign .

The only reason Bettman still has his job is because most the NHL. BOG. are just as corrupted as he is & are also just a bunch of yes men .

5lidyzer19

Jun 21, 2010
I like how Bettman makes more then Jarome Iginla.

As you should. Bettman is the highest ranking executive officer in a multi-billion dollar industry. Iginla is just an employee of one of 30 teams.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Gary Bettman doing a great job my ass the guy has screwed up the NHL. so bad it ain't funny oh where to start .

-Southern USA. expansion
Decided on by the BoG in the late 80's long before GB was hired. Only Columbus, Minensota, Atlanta, & Nashville were even awarded during his tenure.

And if the big market owners didn't sand bag him, it's likely we would have had a salary cap in '95 and no second lockout.

Then blame Goodenow - he could have gotten pretty much the same CBA before '05 if he had been willing to negotiate.

-Atlanta failing
And how, exactly is GB to blame for that?

-The Coyotes fiasco
Blame JB/Rodier/Moyes for that - after that first strike, GB did what any league would have done.

Got that big deal in the first place and it had already expired before the lockout. The new ESPN deal signed before the lockout (ESPN2 only, no NHL 2Night) was for even less than the post-lockout OLN deal.

-The NHL. went from the #1 in the early 90's all way down to #5 right now out of all the major North American sports & are endanger being over taken by the MLS. & droping down to #6 under Bettman's reign .
Sigh. The NHL was by no measure #1 in the 90's - back then it was, as it is now, behind the NFL, MLB, & NBA. And if you bring up the SI Cover thing, I will have to slap you.

The only reason Bettman still has his job is because most the NHL. BOG. are just as corrupted as he is & are also just a bunch of yes men .
They are his bosses. They hired him. They like what he's done. they've renewed him multiple times with raises.

He works for them - not for you, not for me, not for "The Game", not for the players.

Fugu

The list of transgressions for Bettman is surprisingly small:
-- moving the awards to Vegas
-- no resolution for the Phoenix situation

That's pretty much it. The vast majority of things he's blamed for are not on him at all. Things like:
-- Southern expansion
-- Six divisions & dropping the Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe names.
-- QUE, WIN, HAR, MIN relocating
-- Atlanta "failing"

What are his accomplishments?

(And Atlanta was entirely under his watch, as was Boots, Moyes, OK Hockey et al.)

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

-Southern USA. expansion
-Atlanta failing
-The Coyotes fiasco

I see a Hamilton resident is a bit upset that they didnt get a team under bettman :laugh:

Fugu

How much does the average CEO of a 3 billion dollar/year company make? I'm willing to bet a vast sum of money it's a lot more than 7.5M

Well he's not the CEO of a $3 billion dollar company. 85-90% of NHL revenues are made by the individual teams.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Surprise Surprise People actully defend this clown & shift the blame on others the fact is that this guy & his yes men has done more harm than good for the NHL. .

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam

All I have to say is. ..

LoL

PlagerBros*

Well he's not the CEO of a $3 billion dollar company. 85-90% of NHL revenues are made by the individual teams.

Perhaps you should look up the word "industry" and then rethink this statement.

Surprise Surprise People actully defend this clown & shift the blame on others the fact is that this guy & his yes men has done more harm than good for the NHL. .

Nice job not bothering to respond to any of the facts presented to you...and continuing to not understand the purpose and use of punctuation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad