TSN: Bettman discusses LeBreton Flats, flatly denies Senators relocation question

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If you think its that simple not sure what to tell you. I dont care if you have to regurgate anything you are saying that Stone and Karlsson arent good enough to win with. Do you think these players are so easily replaceable?
I think you just want star players here but with no ties to actually winning anything because we had both of them and weren't winning for many different seasons.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Bettman: "nothing to worry about"

Everyone instantly worries.
What are you going for with this? This is a Twitter-esque meme and in no way true. Everyone is stating facts but you’re somehow arguing facts in here. Read the list I sent you and give me your comments please.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bettman: "nothing to worry about"

Everyone panics.
Who's panicking?

There seems to be this misconception that calling out professionals or giving honest assessments is panic. Nobody is panicking. We've just seen this show before and it ended with Melnyk not spending or building on success as promised and we're not ready to be duped again. The 2017-18 season being argued about and that was used by them as an excuse to rebuild is an absolute prime example of that. Make no attempt to improve after losing cornerstone pieces and your superstar coming off major surgery, then jump up and down and blame the players when it doesn't work out. I'm sure that's left a great impression around the league to see obvious roster flaws being ignored while they put all the blame squarely on the players.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
tumblr_inline_mmg2k7L2zK1qz4rgp.gif

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think you just want star players here but with no ties to actually winning anything because we had both of them and weren't winning for many different seasons.

Was it really that different though from the year that Washington flopped and everyone thought they were on the way down? A new coach with credibility comes in, they shore up the defense with Niskanen and they're back the following year. Ottawa decided to cheap out instead.

Would it not be interesting to have all those core guys back from that run to the finals, plus Chabot, plus Tkachuk as a bonus for that craptastic year, plus guys like Batherson, Brown, and Formenton on the way. In this figurative world I think next year or the year after we would be one heck of a team.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I don’t think I could damage my own brand even half as significantly as Melnyk has to the Sens, even if I tried my hardest. They’re going to write a book about all of this one day - and there are a growing list of people who could get paid great sums of money for ‘tell-all’ accounts. At this rate, that will be the next Senators-related item I spend money on haha.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Bettman should say ‘The fans in Ottawa deserve better”

He's being diplomatic. The fact he hasn't said anything supporting Melnyk should speak for itself. He went to bat for Calgary ownership for example. He talked about "where will the Flames play if they don't get their new arena?".

But for us with Melnyk and his tantrums? There is no backing it up. Melnyk publicly threatened relocation several times in no uncertain terms. You can tell Bettman is furious. He forced Melnyk to hire a PR firm and it looks like behind the scenes he's facilitating buyers to come in, they just won't meet his (or Melnyk's price yet) while the situation isn't dire enough for Bettman to force a sale either.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He's being diplomatic. The fact he hasn't said anything supporting Melnyk should speak for itself. He went to bat for Calgary ownership for example. He talked about "where will the Flames play if they don't get their new arena?".

But for us with Melnyk and his tantrums? There is no backing it up. Melnyk publicly threatened relocation several times in no uncertain terms. You can tell Bettman is furious. He forced Melnyk to hire a PR firm and it looks like behind the scenes he's facilitating buyers to come in, they just won't meet his (or Melnyk's price yet) while the situation isn't dire enough for Bettman to force a sale either.
Where did you hear that Bettman forced him to hire a PR firm?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Thanks Gary for standing up for the guy everyone in Ottawa hates. Very helpful.

Edit: I'm referring to these comments

Last edited:

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Good teams don't miss the playoffs because of a gm or coach. We probably missed because they were not that good of a team.

Sometimes it’s just bad luck and you ride it out until the next year

Like Tampa a couple years ago, or are they a bad team now? I haven’t checked the standings recently.

If you want to claim that we had to rebuild because our owner cannot/will not cover year to year loses and therefore when we miss the playoffs we need to gut the team, therefore we can only have a window to contend before our stars hit their paydays...then that would be more accurate.

But the notion that if a team misses the playoffs they MUST be dismantled down to the bone is laughable.

Broken? Which players?

How is it that all of our players apart 3-4 were the problem?

That’s a pretty insane theory your pushing.

Reactions: Engineer

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Sometimes it’s just bad luck and you ride it out until the next year

Like Tampa a couple years ago, or are they a bad team now? I haven’t checked the standings recently.

If you want to claim that we had to rebuild because our owner cannot/will not cover year to year loses and therefore when we miss the playoffs we need to gut the team, therefore we can only have a window to contend before our stars hit their paydays...then that would be more accurate.

But the notion that if a team misses the playoffs they MUST be dismantled down to the bone is laughable.

Broken? Which players?

How is it that all of our players apart 3-4 were the problem?

That’s a pretty insane theory your pushing.

Ya and at the same time I don't think anyone is trying to say we were some kind of powerhouse because we weren't, we were a bubble playoff team. But we had one of the best players in the world on the team and our other top players like Stone were improving every year. Being so quick to dismantle things never made sense to anyone, except I guess Melnyk.

I would bet if the team was kept together, plus you infuse some pieces like Batherson and Brown into more sheltered roles starting next year, and you have one of Karlsson or Chabot basically on the ice all game then we'd have all the makings of a cup contender.

Reactions: Deku

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Almost nobody is worrying.

Stop projecting your own insecurities onto the rest of us. We're all fine.
Bettman says we're not relocating and going through ebbs and flows that other teams go through, which is exactly what i've been saying all along. I'm not the one with insecurities trying to prove things to people that once again, are not true .

Relocating :laugh:

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you cant get rid of the owner, at least force him to fire the clown of a GM we have

Firing Dorion (at this point) would be a mistake under Melnyk. Melnyk isn't bringing in an experienced (costly) GM. He'll bring in another inexperienced yes man he can control.

All the big trades have already been made. We are loaded with draft picks. At least with Dorion, his strength is his scouting background. It doesn't make much sense to have kept Dorion for the last year and a half, have him overseen the part of GMing he doesn't excel at (everything other than scouting), and then fire him for another dollar bin option right when we are actually in a position with multiple 1st/2nd/3rd round picks over the next three drafts to benefit the most from having someone in charge with a strong scouting background.

With that said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit of Melnyk fires Dorion in the summer. I think if COL gets the #1 pick, he's going to fire Dorion.

Reactions: Cloud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad