TSN: Bettman discusses LeBreton Flats, flatly denies Senators relocation question

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Bettman knows the business better than anyone. I see him and daly cleaning up this team/management issue this offseason with the full intent of keeping Ottawa in Ottawa. As much hate as bettman gets, I foresee us sens fans praising him for what's to come.

Well, he helped Ottawa with the Bryden situation as well. The NHL policy on moving a franchise nowadays is pretty straight forward IMO. It's a final resolution to any franchise problem when all other options have been exhausted.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Meh. Gary wont say shit unless something has already gone down. Wasnt he denying the Thrashers were moving to Winnipeg like a couple of days before the deal was announced?

His "He is very focused on looking for what he has to do, and what his best options are under the circumstances" quote is pretty interesting tho.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Bettman on the Senators: "Teams go through ebbs and flows, both on the ice and with their fan bases. And Eugene Melnyk is doing what is expected of him as an owner…ownership for any franchise at any given point in time may think it’s time for a rebuild."

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Meh. Gary wont say **** unless something has already gone down. Wasnt he denying the Thrashers were moving to Winnipeg like a couple of days before the deal was announced?

His "He is very focused on looking for what he has to do, and what his best options are under the circumstances" quote is pretty interesting tho.
Yea that quote and this one too

“Eugene is doing what is expected of him as an owner in terms of meeting the team’s obligations.”

Sure didn’t seem like a glowing endorsement.
Also said they didn’t get asked to step in but would not hesitate to step in if needed or asked. Not sure if he was referencing to the arena downtown or in general but interesting to hear nonetheless.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
What a nothingburger interview.

Relocation is such a red herring. Noone is discussing that.

Everyone is discussing the chaos in the ownership box.

The only thing I took as speculatively interesting is that he didn't even come close to giving Melnyk any kind of strong endorsement.

Reactions: bert

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'd have to imagine if you're Bettman, you can't be happy about Melnyk f***ing up a perfectly good hockey market like Ottawa. Teams like Arizona struggle because hockey isn't that popular down there, with Ottawa it is solely because of crappy ownership.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I guess we’ll see how serious the city (the people) is about not supporting a Melnyk-owned Senators. Refreshing, I guess, that relocation isn’t a thing (not that we didn’t already know), but if Bettman is serious in his assessment of this being an ebb/flow scenario, I’m legitimately worried. If what he said is accurate to his beliefs, we’re f***ed in a muddy puddle of toxic waste. Of course, he wouldn’t say anything different if there was something ongoing, but wow. The Sens are just....wow....

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Only the sens go through ebs and flows.
Because Toronto never had the Ballard years. Or Chicago and "Dollar" Bill Wirtz. Pittsburgh was never a prime candidate for relocation due to poor attendance.

It sucks to be that franchise in the moment, but easily half of the existing franchises in the league have been through something similar in their lifetime.

Nashville had Boots Del Biaggio. Tampa had co-owners who sued each other. Etc etc, etc.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad