Better season - Barkov or Pettersson?

Who’ll have the better season?

• Total voters

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I went with EP as I expect that Lotto line to eat the Defense in the Canadian division alive. Barkov is awesome, not taking anything away from him.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
How are we gauging this? When it comes to who will put up more points, it's close. Pettersson, who played in two more games, only finished 4 points ahead of Barkov last season. However, he was on a power play unit - featuring Hughes, Boeser, and Miller - that finished in the Top 5. So, that could give the slight edge.

If we're talking about their overall game, I might still go with EP40. Again, it's close.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He's already a franchise center and he's already better than Barkov. If you haven't realized it yet, you certainly will this year.
LMFAO

Is he better at faceoffs? No
Is he better defensively? No...Barkov's finished 4,5,11 in the past 3 seasons. EP didn't receive anything for the Selke last year.
Can be produce more points? EP has yet to go ppg over a season, Barkov has averaged 85 points over the past 3 seasons with a career high of 96 points.

So not better offensively, defensively, or at faceoffs.

I guess EP could be the better goalie.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
How are we gauging this? When it comes to who will put up more points, it's close. Pettersson, who played in two more games, only finished 4 points ahead of Barkov last season. However, he was on a power play unit - featuring Hughes, Boeser, and Miller - that finished in the Top 5. So, that could give the slight edge.

If we're talking about their overall game, I might still go with EP40. Again, it's close.
One player hasn't scored more than 66 points in a season or gone ppg in a season, the other has a career high of 96 and averaged 85 over the last 3 seasons.

"It's close" LMFAO

I guess Alex Kerfoot and EP are close in terms of points.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
One player hasn't scored more than 66 points in a season or gone ppg in a season, the other has a career high of 96 and averaged 85 over the last 3 seasons.

"It's close" LMFAO

I guess Alex Kerfoot and EP are close in terms of points.

Pretty dumb way to look at it. Pettersson outscored him and had the better PPG last year and Barkov has never been PPG in any other season other than his 96 point season, producing similar numbers to Pettersson in every year since his breakout season. Putting stock in one outlier season isn't a great way to predict player performance.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Pretty dumb way to look at it. Pettersson outscored him and had the better PPG last year and Barkov has never been PPG in any other season other than his 96 point season, producing similar numbers to Pettersson in every year since his breakout season. Putting stock in one outlier season isn't a great way to predict player performance.
1. EP has never been ppg so Barkov still has that over him
2. Barkov has averaged 85 points over the last 3 seasons, that's not an outlier lmao. You Nuck fans are too much.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Went with EP. Not because I think he's better, but because he's playing against Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal all year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
1. EP has never been ppg so Barkov still has that over him
2. Barkov has averaged 85 points over the last 3 seasons, that's not an outlier lmao. You Nuck fans are too much.

85 points because of the one outlier. 81 and 77 points the other two seasons of the three years sample, which is almost exactly the same as Pettersson's 76 and 80 point paces the last two years. Maybe Barkov gets back to mid-90s pace, but there's nothing in his career that suggests it's likely. When a younger player outproduces an established player, to find it laughable that people are suggesting they'll be close this year is in itself pretty laughable.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Are Nucks fans also incapable of discussing the topic at hand without bringing up the Leafs or Matthews? Are you that insecure?

Stay on topic. EP had 66p in 68 and that was his best season so far, Barkov had 62p in 66 and that was a noticeable drop off from his previous year and they were still close.

And if we're discussing last year, Barkov dropped to 11th in Selke voting after 4th and 5th place finishes the years prior. EP was nowhere to be found.

Barkov hasn't had a positive defensive impact for a couple years. Reputation votes are meaningless

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Very tough call. If I had to say more points this year I'd give edge to Pettersson .. maybe. If I had to put one guy out on the ice against another top line late in the 3rd period... I'd give edge to Barkov.

We're talking about possibly my 2 favorite players in the league.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Did anyone watch their first games of the season? I missed them cause of reasons. How did they look? Great to have Canucks - Oilers coming up in half an hour :popcorn:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson was better this past year in only his sophomore season. 84 points in 85 games including 18 points in 17 playoff games to lead his team.
But Barkov is still a heck of a player and a guy I’d love to have on the Canucks.
I’d give the edge to EP just because he’s just starting his third year and looks like he has more upside. But both are valuable two way centers that top teams need.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Pettersson having a bad season, so the other guy

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Barkov? He's a damn good player. Given who he has to play with I'm probably wrong for betting on him, though.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Barkov just had a 96 point season the year prior but this poll indicates he doesn’t stand a chance against 66 point career high Pettersson.

Barkov is also in his prime years while Pettersson is still a couple years from his peak.
Players are also peaking younger and younger in this league, it's quite a phenomenon, especially offensively.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I love Pettersson's game and he is realllly good but c'mon, lets not get carried away here.
Barkov is way better now, before and in the future. Not even close.
If you think Barkov is "way better now, before and in the future" and that it's "not even close", it's pretty obvious who's getting carried away (which is a nice way of saying it). It's actually quite close now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
5 on 5 last year Pettersson was on the ice for 62 goals for (7th best forward in the league) 36 against. 63% GF (17th for forwards with 450+ minutes). 72% offensive zone starts. 23 PP points.

5 on 5 last year Barkov was on the ice for 48 goals for (45th for forwards) and 41 against. 53% GF (107th for forwards with 450+ minutes). 59% offensive zone starts. 20 PP points.

I don’t think people realize how good Pettersson was last season and that he was a dominant 5 on 5 player not a Powerplay merchant.

He was a top 10 forward in the league. This is the problem with looking at point totals alone.

Barkov is incredible and play a different role but Pettersson if he can continue playing like last season is a top 10 forward in the league.

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
5 on 5 last year Pettersson was on the ice for 62 goals for (7th best forward in the league) 36 against. 63% GF (17th for forwards with 450+ minutes). 72% offensive zone starts. 23 PP points.

5 on 5 last year Barkov was on the ice for 48 goals for (45th for forwards) and 41 against. 53% GF (107th for forwards with 450+ minutes). 59% offensive zone starts. 20 PP points.

I don’t think people realize how good Pettersson was last season and that he was a dominant 5 on 5 player not a Powerplay merchant.

He was a top 10 forward in the league. This is the problem with looking at point totals alone.

Barkov is incredible and play a different role but Pettersson if he can continue playing like last season is a top 10 forward in the league.

Petterson might become better and is on a better trajectory than Barkov was at same age. Saying Petterson is better than Barkov at same age is a fact, but better than Barkov now? No way. Stats you provided are team stats, impressive sure, but watch Barkov play before declaring anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad