Better season - Barkov or Pettersson?

Who’ll have the better season?

• Total voters

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Petterson might become better and is on a better trajectory than Barkov was at same age. Saying Petterson is better than Barkov at same age is a fact, but better than Barkov now? No way. Stats you provided are team stats, impressive sure, but watch Barkov play before declaring anything.
I made no such declaration!

They’re team stats but they point out the goals happening for their teams when they’re on the ice.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Alright then. What you make of those stats then? What do they tell you?
That Pettersson had an unreal season and isn’t about just PP points. When he’s on the ice his team scores 63% of the goals. That’s very good.

My post was meant to provide information since folks were using point totals which doesn’t capture a player’s effectiveness especially with a guy like Barkov who’s a 2-way monster.

Reactions: Barkkonen

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
5 on 5 last year Pettersson was on the ice for 62 goals for (7th best forward in the league) 36 against. 63% GF (17th for forwards with 450+ minutes). 72% offensive zone starts. 23 PP points.

5 on 5 last year Barkov was on the ice for 48 goals for (45th for forwards) and 41 against. 53% GF (107th for forwards with 450+ minutes). 59% offensive zone starts. 20 PP points.

I don’t think people realize how good Pettersson was last season and that he was a dominant 5 on 5 player not a Powerplay merchant.

He was a top 10 forward in the league. This is the problem with looking at point totals alone.

Barkov is incredible and play a different role but Pettersson if he can continue playing like last season is a top 10 forward in the league.

LMFAO

Do you even know what that stat means? It means EP was given favourable deployment especially compared to Barkov. Barkov is a two-way force that his team relies on so he doesn't have the luxury of starting over 70% of his shifts in the opposing end of ice.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
What do you mean by "better"? Strictly in terms of points?

If Bergeron gets 65 points and wins the Selke, while Kessel gets 90 and is -20: who had the better season?
This comparison doesn't work because EP and Barkov are very close defensively. They're both good defensive players, not great.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
LMFAO

Do you even know what that stat means? It means EP was given favourable deployment especially compared to Barkov. Barkov is a two-way force that his team relies on so he doesn't have the luxury of starting over 70% of his shifts in the opposing end of ice.
Can't call Barkov a 2 way force if you're not willing to call EP one. Both are utilized offensively more than defensively, EP to a more extreme. Barkov got Branded an elite defensive forward 3 seasons ago for whatever reasons but the last two seasons his defensive metrics have been average to good at best. Hardly a beast

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
LMFAO

Comprehension is tough I guess. My post was made to show the numbers.

58% offensive zone starts isn’t exactly buried pal.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Pettersson can't play with 2 non possession wingers (Virtanen Boeser). It works with Miller and Boeser as a sniper but with Boeser and Virtanen he just can't get any possession play going.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
1. EP has never been ppg so Barkov still has that over him
2. Barkov has averaged 85 points over the last 3 seasons, that's not an outlier lmao. You Nuck fans are too much.

Is Barkov better than Auston Matthews?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
gotta play the odds. only one of these guys has ever had 30g or 70pts (Barkov actually had 96!)

Pettersson has been an absolute ghost thus far with a measly 1assist in 6 games to match what a dude named brogan rafferty has done as a dman in 1 game, in 13 mins...lol

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Barkov is the complete package. Think he takes off in a big way if he ever gets out of Florida or they get their shit together in a meaningful way.

EP is great too but the top 10 player stuff just seemed premature.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Pettersson is a better player on a better team, so I'm guessing it's him.

Barkov's campaign ends with the regular season, while Pettersson can go for a playoff run and contribute there.

And Pettersson has more skill.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pettersson can't play with 2 non possession wingers (Virtanen Boeser). It works with Miller and Boeser as a sniper but with Boeser and Virtanen he just can't get any possession play going.

Yep. You need to give skilled playmakers / puck carriers an alternative puck possession player or they are easily shut down.

Same thing happens to Johnny Gaudreau in Calgary.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Pettersson is a better player on a better team, so I'm guessing it's him.

Barkov's campaign ends with the regular season, while Pettersson can go for a playoff run and contribute there.

And Pettersson has more skill.
More skill to do what? Score 1 point in 6 games?

EP had 1 playoff run in a format with NO FANS, NO TRAVEL, and had 18 points in 17 games. That type of situation is one-in-a-blue-moon and only Nucks/EP homers would use that as the end all reference for his potential. He's never gone ppg in his career, never scored 30 goals or 70 points but he's a top 15 player in the entire NHL...LMFAO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad