Better Player at their Peak: Ilya Kovalchuk vs Nikita Kucherov

Better at their peak in the NHL?

• Total voters

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Most people here obviously either just started watching hockey or have a terrible memory because the answer is Kovalchuk and it's not close. He was basically a bigger and faster version of Patrick Kane who either played with a terrible supporting cast or through bad injuries.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Kovalchuk was at his prime maybe top 10-20 player definitely not better overall compared to like's of Zetterberg Kopitar or even P.Elias or Marian Hossa, so this is Kucherov not by much but still cant ignore his production he is also better all around player.. Kovy wasnt really much better in defense/or playing as a team/being team player than this other famous Russian scorer...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Most people here obviously either just started watching hockey or have a terrible memory because the answer is Kovalchuk and it's not close. He was basically a bigger and faster version of Patrick Kane who either played with a terrible supporting cast or through bad injuries.

Yeah. The guy who never finished above 10th place for hart even though he played in some of the weakest years for forwards ever (early 2000s) is better then the guy who swept all the awards with the best point producing season since Lemieux, while also leading his team to a cup with most playoff points.

I don't get how anyone can vote for Kovalchuk here.

This is simply not close.

And I've been watching hockey for well over 30 years, and my memory is great.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Kovalchuk pretty easily had the best peak seasons

But I think most will vote with points in mind, and so Kucherov wins

I doubt anyone in their right mind takes Kucherov over Kovalchuk however for a team tomorrow both aged 25

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Yeah. The guy who never finished above 10th place for hart even though he played in some of the weakest years for forwards ever (early 2000s) is better then the guy who swept all the awards with the best point producing season since Lemieux, while also leading his team to a cup with most playoff points.

I don't get how anyone can vote for Kovalchuk here.

This is simply not close.

And I've been watching hockey for well over 30 years, and my memory is great.
Your memory musnt be that great since you lack knowledge of who Kovalchuk played with and who Kucherov has played with

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I remember Kovi as being fairly weak defensively, but maybe part of the reason I'm saying this is the Thrashers were so terrible. I'd give Kuch the edge playmaking as well but both are likely underrated there. Someone compared Kovi to Kane , I think a closer comparison might be what Laine was tracking to become ( first few season Laine).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Kovalchuk for sure. Didn't have near the offensive support, and would have been the best goal scorer of his generation if not for Ovechkin.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Kovalchuk for sure. Didn't have near the offensive support, and would have been the best goal scorer of his generation if not for Ovechkin.
Goal scorers arent really so valuable to winning in hockey guy like Kovalchuk is almost always much less valuable than guy like Kopitar Datsyuk Zetterberg Bergeron or defenceman like Keith/Hedman> also more versatile offensive wingers like Kucherov Kane Panarin Hossa P.Elias Marchand bring more to team than pure scorers. Would almost say defensive forwards like Jere Lehtinen might be more useful than scorer wingers like Kovalchuk, but its 50-50..

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Goal scorers arent really so valuable to winning in hockey guy like Kovalchuk is almost always much less valuable than guy like Kopitar Datsyuk Zetterberg Bergeron or defenceman like Keith/Hedman> also more versatile offensive wingers like Kucherov Kane Panarin Hossa P.Elias Marchands etc bring more to team than pure scorers. Would almost say defensive forwards like Jere Lehtinen might be more useful than scorer wingers like Kovalchuk, but its 50-50..
Kovalchuk as a devil was an absolute beast all over the ice. And nearly dragged his team to a cup with a broken back.

Kucherov doesn't even touch the puck until it's in the offensive zone, and heavily relies on Point to do the heavy lifting.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Kucherov AINEC. Kovalchuk was a physical specimen and had a hell of a shot but his hockey IQ was very low. Kuch is like Einstein on ice when compared to Kovalchuk. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: User9992

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Kovalchuk as a devil was an absolute beast all over the ice. And nearly dragged his team to a cup with a broken back.

Kucherov doesn't even touch the puck until it's in the offensive zone, and heavily relies on Point to do the heavy lifting.
Kucheros is kind of genious so he doesnt seem to hustle so much around but he plays good team/unit game passing knows where to position himself etc.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Kuch is like Einstein on ice when compared to Kovalchuk.
Well I mean...

51032698afb6bfe80ed4fcd97d080c08.png

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Also dragged Russia to gold in 2008 after a 15-year drought against Canada in Québec City. Was the MVP when they won it again a year later too. Still after his prime Olympic gold and MVP. Scored several cup-winning goals in Russia as well. Played for terrible teams in the NHL but that shouldn't count against him.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Classic. It wouldn't be a Lightning poll without someone bringing up that a player is overrated because of who he plays with.

Point struggled offensively without Kucherov this season. While you're right that Point is a play driver, Kucherov opens up the ice for everyone with his quick decision making and elite skill. The puck is on his stick for 2 seconds because he knows what he's going to do with it before he gets it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I feel like people saying the Thrashers supporting cast sucked are the ones with awful memories. They had no depth, no defense, and no goalie. But their top line talent was fantastic. Marian Hossa, Marc Savard, Dany Heatley, and Ilya Kovalchuk were far from terrible.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Classic. It wouldn't be a Lightning poll without someone bringing up that a player is overrated because of who he plays with.

Point struggled offensively without Kucherov this season. While you're right that Point is a play driver, Kucherov opens up the ice for everyone with his quick decision making and elite skill. The puck is on his stick for 2 seconds because he knows what he's going to do with it before he gets it.

Oh absolutely Kucherov is a big part of Point's success too. I'm not trying to argue the contrary - in terms of converting on offensive zone possession, Kucherov is elite. They work so well as a pair because Point is elite at gaining the offensive zone with possession.

To me though, Point is the more valuable player between the two, because of the importance of play driving. That's essentially the reason for me taking Kovalchuk.

Also, consider that while Kucherov has impressive point totals, he relies an awful lot on secondary assists and PP points.

Look at 5v5 primary points in his art ross campaign:

McDavid 52
Marner 52
Kane 51
Kucherov 50
Crosby 50
Tavares 49
Panarin 48
Gaudreau 47
Point 46

So yeah, he's an excellent offensive player, but even in his peak year he wasn't really separating himself from the pack like some would suggest. His numbers are definitely inflated by his supporting cast, especially on the PP.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

People forget that Kovalchuk was a defensive force when he played for the Devils and probably the best two way winger outside of Hossa at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad