Better contract? Stutzle or Suzuki?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah they deleted it. [mod]

It's still there.

Is this your third time posting it?

Maybe you should say it one more time, just in case everyone doesn't see how you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Right now Suzuki is the better value contract but I would offer a bigger package for Stutzle. I see more trade value there because he has more potential.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Suzuki is 3rd in active games played streak with 363 games in a row. Only Burns (835) and Suter (445) have longer streaks.

Stutzle missed 10 games or less for the last three years so it's not like it's much of a difference factor.

Still Suzuki's fear is pretty impressive

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Same. Can't wait until we have a #2C for more than half the games.

Basically it's Stutzle out there by himself with Norris injured and Pinto suspended.

I expect Stutzle's PP numbers to catch up to Suzuki at which point the gap will be even larger.

But the thing is Suzuki is the sole and only reason that mtl powerplay is somewhat functionnal.

Who does Stutlze need to get his pp working?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hard to say. I think we would need another 3 years to find out. Suzuki has not had any support whatsoever since he’s been in the league. Stutzle is younger and has more offensive upside. I want to see Suzuki with some real offensive support & Stutzle fully developed before taking a camp.

Now to who has the better contract? I put them at even. I like Suzuki’s lower cap hit but I really, really like Stutzle extra year.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
For what it's worth, I don't think this was as big a down year for Stutzle as people have led on. There's been a lot of rumors he was dealing with a wrist injury for most of the season which explains the goals down and his willingness to shoot was way down.

In the past couple of weeks he looks more like the player we saw last year.

IMO this comparison isn't close despite the numbers being similar. I see Stutzle as a 1C and Suzuki as a higher end 2C.

How many teams in the nhl have a #1 C?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Are you seriously insinuating that a given HF poster, who is at best a beer leaguer, has better knowledge of the sport than the best players in the world? I can guarantee you nobody on this forum has a grasp of the game that is half as good as Ryan O'Reilly and thinking otherwise is delusional. Contrary to popular belief, browsing twitter all day does not make you an expert on anything.
No, I'm saying that players can rarely see the forest for the trees.

Coaches are better but still usually pretty myopic. General managers are probably still better, usually. Disconnected analysts can be better as well, but need a solid basis on which to base their evaluations.

Players tend to be narrowly focused on the individual skill sets of their given sport (and often the specific skill sets they themselves have). They are often easily impressed by someone doing some very specific things well, whether or not that thing is actually all that valuable. This is not true for everyone, but on a broad scale, I stand by it.

I might trust O'Reilly in his evaluation of a player's faceoff ability, defensive positioning, or stickwork. I would need much more evidence, and dispassionate evidence, than O'Reilly's evaluation of a player's total defensive impact on possession or scoring.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
I guess he’s too busy putting up points at even strength at the rate of one and a half Suzuki’s.
Look, you're the one trying to find excuses for Stutlze's lack of production on the pp. Suzuki would rack up more ES points if he wasn't constantly facing the opposing number 1 line. Only 3 forwards in the league have faced better opposition than Suzuki and none of them are named Stutlze.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Suzuki was on a competent team with proper linematers, he’d be PPG

Caufield and Slafkovsky aren't proper linemates?
while being a top 3-5 Selke forward. Suzuki is the better player.
He's nowhere close to a Selke level forward lol. Over the last 3 years, he has the worst +/- on the team. Hard to argue he's having a very positive effect relative to the rest of the team, even with them being so bad.

1711736193582.png

This year? Yes, definetly with Caufield atrocious shooting% and no Slaf for near half the year
Slaf joined that line in early November
Suzuki enjoying a career high in shooting percentage is a very fair point, however wouldn't that also apply to Stutzle last year or you expecting 17%+ should be the norm for him going forward ?
What about my argument suggests that was my position?

Neither shooting percentages are sustainable. But Stutzle paced for 95 points during his high sh% season, while Suzuki is in pace for 79.

Suzuki being 2+ years older shouldn't have that much of an impact on the question at hand unless you believe he'll be washed by the end of his contract.

Maybe in the 2 years ahead Stutzle will get to a level significantly higher than the one he achieved last year is what you meant ? Sure if he takes that EP step then it won't be close but it's hard to say at this point in time that he'll take it.
I think it's pretty likely that Stutzle still has his best seasons ahead of him. Most young centers don't peak at 20/21.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Look, you're the one trying to find excuses for Stutlze's lack of production on the pp.

I love that Stutzle has gone from a PP merchant to a player who can’t produce on the PP in a span of two seasons. It’s just an anomaly on the PP this season. He has 1 goal on 32 shots, the three seasons prior he had 21 PP goals on 142 shots. It’s not the norm, his PP production will rebound moving forward. Such a strange argument you are making.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Suzuki all day long. He's a superior player and only gets better with pressure. If I want to win the cup the decision is painfully obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad