Better contract? Stutzle or Suzuki?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
For what it's worth, I don't think this was as big a down year for Stutzle as people have led on. There's been a lot of rumors he was dealing with a wrist injury for most of the season which explains the goals down and his willingness to shoot was way down.

In the past couple of weeks he looks more like the player we saw last year.

IMO this comparison isn't close despite the numbers being similar. I see Stutzle as a 1C and Suzuki as a higher end 2C.

• Haha
Reactions: A Loyal Dog

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Stutzle has 100pt potential. Can't say the same for Suzuki, he will max out at 75pts/season in his career.
Interesting, might as well give us the lotto number's for next week while you are at it.

Unless you are so delusional that you think a 24 years old currently pacing for 78 points at 88% of the season done will "max out" at 75pts.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You'd really have to be an idiot to say it's not close considering how Suzuki is leaps and bound ahead of Stutzle defensively while still being excellent offensively (let alone what Suzuki has done in the playoffs) but I still pick Stutzle based on offensive upside.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
As a general rule, I think many astute fans and other external observers are better evaluators of player value than players themselves. Players in most sports are historically awful at judging their peers - not every player, but it's pretty common.

Are you seriously insinuating that a given HF poster, who is at best a beer leaguer, has better knowledge of the sport than the best players in the world? I can guarantee you nobody on this forum has a grasp of the game that is half as good as Ryan O'Reilly and thinking otherwise is delusional. Contrary to popular belief, browsing twitter all day does not make you an expert on anything.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Go ahead, offer something useful to this conversation by providing a reasonable offer from Ottawa that would fetch Suzuki.

Wait, let me guess, Ottawa has no interest in him.
I would take Stutzle, Sanderson and Tkachuk over Suzuki, but would never offer any of the 3 for him.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
For what it's worth, I don't think this was as big a down year for Stutzle as people have led on. There's been a lot of rumors he was dealing with a wrist injury for most of the season which explains the goals down and his willingness to shoot was way down.

In the past couple of weeks he looks more like the player we saw last year.

IMO this comparison isn't close despite the numbers being similar. I see Stutzle as a 1C and Suzuki as a higher end 2C.
Please name 30 better center than Suzuki.

I would take Stutzle, Sanderson and Tkachuk over Suzuki, but would never offer any of the 3 for him.
I wouldn't.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Big words from a fanbase that yet again is down in the basement for seven years straight after boasting all summet. I'm guessing the classic yearly streak is having a big effect on the fanbase again.

What's so egregious about his post that warrants bringing standings into the discussion?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Big words from a fanbase that yet again is down in the basement for seven years straight after boasting all summer. I'm guessing the classic yearly streak is having a big effect on the fanbase again.

Nothing to do with the quote, but thanks for coming out.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Stutzle and it's not close. Are people forgetting he had 90 points last year in only 78 games?

Suzuki is currently enjoying a career high in shooting percentage, while Stutzle is suffering from a career low. And their production is still nearly identical this year.

Last 2 years:
Stutzle
57 goals 158 points in 150gp

Suzuki
56 goals 135 points in 156gp

Stutzle is 2+ years younger. This isn't close.
If Suzuki was on a competent team with proper linematers, he’d be PPG while being a top 3-5 Selke forward. Suzuki is the better player.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
What's so egregious about his post that warrants bringing standings into the discussion?
I feel compelled to respond even if not the guy you replied to.

I suggested to offer a realistic proposition to get Suzuki from Ottawa and best he could offer was that he wouldn't trade Ottawa 3 best assets in his eyes, either in a package together (which makes no sense salary cap wise) or 1v1. Which is my point, Ottawa doesn't have the pieces to get Suzuki in a trade. I don't see a realistic scenario where Ottawa offer something for Suzuki that Hughes would accept.

In all fairness, this is not the subject of the trade so let's get back to the main course.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But if you actually watch him play, he is terrible at defending 5on5 and often cheats up the ice.

For the third straight season he is among the lead leaders in DZ touches, DZ retrievals/60 and DZ Exits with possession/60 among forwards but you think he cheats up ice. Great analysis. A big part of his game is getting the puck in the DZ and transitioning it up ice.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I feel compelled to respond even if not the guy you replied to.

I suggested to offer a realistic proposition to get Suzuki from Ottawa and best he could offer was that he wouldn't trade Ottawa 3 best assets in his eyes, either in a package together (which makes no sense salary cap wise) or 1v1. Which is my point, Ottawa doesn't have the pieces to get Suzuki in a trade. I don't see a realistic scenario where Ottawa offer something for Suzuki that Hughes would accept.

In all fairness, this is not the subject of the trade so let's get back to the main course.
No your point was the Sens don’t have the assets to get Suzuki, everyone including your own fans would laugh at that suggestion.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
No your point was the Sens don’t have the assets to get Suzuki, everyone including your own fans would laugh at that suggestion.
How about you read the whole post before quoting it lmao?

I clearly just wrote "Which is my point, Ottawa doesn't have the pieces to get Suzuki in a trade."

The hell are you arguing about? Clearly you still can't come up with a realistic offer from Ottawa that would land Suzuki. Aka Ottawa doesn't have the assets to get Suzuki.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
A year ago, I would've said Stützle just had too much upside not to win this contest.

Now.... he hasn't shown that the talent can translate into success on a winning team. Suzuki has been a top-6 center on a Cup finalist, performing well in thep playoffs, and that trumps a theoretical talent advantage Stützle.

That being said, I think Stützle's best season will be better than Suzuki's, when everything works for him he'll put up crazy numbers.... but I think overall Suzuki will have the better carreer.

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad