TV: Better Call Saul - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Some people need explosions and boom booms and whacks to be entertained.

Sad, but true.

Not really but the Chuck story arch has been beaten to death and should have been wrapped up a year ago.

In this show called Better Call Saul, I hope we get to see more Saul next year. That's when his character is at it's best. They have spent three seasons building rational for how Jimmy turned but the fact is he has always been prone to cutting corners and bending rules.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I found this season very well done but somehow not as entertaining as it should be if that makes any sense. The shows production is fantastic and has amazing visuals. The acting is very good all around and the writing is really strong. But somehow it seemed like the whole was less than the some of it's parts.

It's a good show, but I feel like it should be better.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I found this season very well done but somehow not as entertaining as it should be if that makes any sense. The shows production is fantastic and has amazing visuals. The acting is very good all around and the writing is really strong. But somehow it seemed like the whole was less than the some of it's parts.

It's a good show, but I feel like it should be better.

My thoughts exactly, the story arch's they are using to get from A to B are not all that interesting nor entertaining. Like you said the show is well done and I love the signature cinematography from Vince. I think the show will benefit from Chuck being gone.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Why must it be so black & white? I don't need explosions & violence to be entertained. Frankly, that bores me. What I do need is less dragging out of a tired story line that's taken 3 years to finally complete.

Tacogeoff is spot on, the nostalgia of BB may be enough for some of you guys, but it doesn't mean this show isn't painfully boring.

The premise of the show took the most interesting characters from another show, but unfortunately, the producers & writers chose a direction that simply wasn't compelling. I just sit there waiting for anything to happen that wasn't already predetermined from the show it spun off from.

What? It's a spinoff prequel, meaning it can only go in one direction to be faithful to the original premise.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
What? It's a spinoff prequel, meaning it can only go in one direction to be faithful to the original premise.

So with that logic, what's the point of having a show? Jimmy becomes Saul....The End. :sarcasm:

I'm saying there were countless ways to get there. The writers chose poorly. They spent endless time focusing on his mentally handicapped, narcissist brother. Jimmy/Saul hasn't come close to having the entertainment factor on this show that he did on BB. Neither has Mike.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
From a technical perspective this may be the greatest show ever produced.

The pacing isn't for everyone but the way the show is executed is so fantastic.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So with that logic, what's the point of having a show? Jimmy becomes Saul....The End. :sarcasm:

I'm saying there were countless ways to get there. The writers chose poorly. They spent endless time focusing on his mentally handicapped, narcissist brother. Jimmy/Saul hasn't come close to having the entertainment factor on this show that he did on BB. Neither has Mike.

They need to spend 'endless' time on Chuck because it's important to why Jimmy transitions to Saul. That's all this show is. Jimmy McGill's transition to Saul Goodman. And, we get some good things thrown in. Like Gus's rise, Mike's involvement, the downfall of Hector.

s'all good, man.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
They need to spend 'endless' time on Chuck because it's important to why Jimmy transitions to Saul. That's all this show is. Jimmy McGill's transition to Saul Goodman. And, we get some good things thrown in. Like Gus's rise, Mike's involvement, the downfall of Hector.

s'all good, man.

That's what they chose to do. There were countless ways they could have written Saul's transition.

I think the show's been good, just not great. The show, to this point has basically been two separate shows. There's Jimmy turning into Saul. And there's the Mike/Nacho/Gus/Hectora drug stuff. Every once in a while the worlds intercept. But I think while the Saul stuff has been good, the drug stuff has been excellent. To be fair, maybe that's an unfair way to look at it, because I have some history with all of the guys that we saw in BB and I was always going to be more interested in them.

Again, I think it's a good show, but it's the Chuck stuff just wasn't as interesting as everything else going on, IMO.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Again, I think it's a good show, but it's the Chuck stuff just wasn't as interesting as everything else going on, IMO.

On its face, the Chuck premise is actually pretty ridiculous. Michael McKean is why it was acceptable for so long. It kind of wore out its welcome though this season.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

s'all good, man.

Not really, we got the point when Chuck was the opposition to Jimmy getting the job at HHM. Then again, and again. They beat a dead horse with it and it was tedious. Should have been over in Season 2.

They could have Jimmy or Saul after that playing the straight lawyer but crossing the line again and again, maybe in the best interest of his clients. Going up against his brother with clients more. Also gives Vince the opportunity to cast some interesting characters which he excels at.

Saul was awesome in BB for his confidence and great one liners.... "Hey Francesca, what happened to my masterbater.." or "if you don't like that we could always shank Badger in the chow line..." lol with the pen to his neck. He really nailed it in his first episode of BB.

Vince explained the show does not have a predetermined path, it was almost a 30 minute comedy. They just spent too much time on certain aspects of it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
:facepalm: how did I not remember that Francesca was also in Breaking Bad???

So when you think about the things she does for Saul and the relationship they have (and how much of a ***** she becomes), this show could also end up being about her breaking bad as well (to a lesser extent, of course). Because as of now, she has no intention of ever working for Jimmy again... yet, she does.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Not bad, I don't mind a season ender not being crazy. I mean, Chuck very likely died. We didn't watch through to the end for the suicide hotline info, so my wife and I were confused as to whether or not he was awake and doing that, or having tremors in a half-sleep state or similar from going overboard again. I guess that clears that up.

I am of the camp that Gus definitely knows or at least suspects Nacho is up to something. Seems pretty clear.

Not sure where we go from here, but again I'll say that we're going to get dirtier next season and have some new dealers show up. I pointed it out last week and nobody seemed to care, but there were references to No-Doze (which means Tuco may also be coming back) and Krazy 8.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I think we're very close to seeing the Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad storylines intertwining. We've already seen Gus checking out the laundromat facility where the superlab is built. Gus and Mike are partners. Jimmy has figured out his moral stance. Hector is having his stroke.

Maybe there's one more half-season to Gilligan's slow burn style before the show goes nuclear like Breaking Bad Season 5. Someone is going to have to update the BB references weekly from here on out, because BCs is going to be thick with them, while carrying its own weight.

A BB rewatch is probably recommended summer programming at this time.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not bad, I don't mind a season ender not being crazy. I mean, Chuck very likely died. We didn't watch through to the end for the suicide hotline info, so my wife and I were confused as to whether or not he was awake and doing that, or having tremors in a half-sleep state or similar from going overboard again. I guess that clears that up.

I am of the camp that Gus definitely knows or at least suspects Nacho is up to something. Seems pretty clear.

Not sure where we go from here, but again I'll say that we're going to get dirtier next season and have some new dealers show up. I pointed it out last week and nobody seemed to care, but there were references to No-Doze (which means Tuco may also be coming back) and Krazy 8.

At some point Tuco becomes the guy after Hector so he will probably come back.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why must it be so black & white? I don't need explosions & violence to be entertained. Frankly, that bores me. What I do need is less dragging out of a tired story line that's taken 3 years to finally complete.

Tacogeoff is spot on, the nostalgia of BB may be enough for some of you guys, but it doesn't mean this show isn't painfully boring.

The premise of the show took the most interesting characters from another show, but unfortunately, the producers & writers chose a direction that simply wasn't compelling. I just sit there waiting for anything to happen that wasn't already predetermined from the show it spun off from.

Now you are making it black and white, assuming the nostalgia of BB is what makes many of us like it.

Kim, Chuck, Howard and Nacho have zero connections to BB and they are excellent, well-rounded characters and big reasons why I watch the show. If you want to say they aren't interesting, then you haven't been paying attention.

All four have their own storylines that weren't predetermined from BB and I've been fascinated to see where their arcs ultimately end up.

Since BB predetermined all their fates, why don't you tell me exactly what happens to all these characters...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Finally got around to watching the finale.

Wow. So Kim is having a nervous breakdown or some sort of PTSD trauma it seems like, Howard was so desperate to rid of Chuck he was going to give his own money and Chuck was driven to suicide. Maybe the car accident has Kim giving up on her job & she ****s off somewhere and that's why she isn't in BB.

What drove Chuck to killing himself? Jimmy? His condition?

Also, looks like this is where Hector now has his stroke and loses most of his motor functions. Wonder if the cartel somehow finds out what Nacho did and that's why he isn't in BB?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Aside from the condition, from a character standpoint probably not a great feeling to get pushed out of your own firm and at this point Chuck has nobody left in his life.

Also, looks like this is where Hector now has his stroke and loses most of his motor functions. Wonder if the cartel somehow finds out what Nacho did and that's why he isn't in BB?

Just a guess, crazy Tuco gets out of jail and maybe puts the pieces together.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think it's an amazing. Slow, definitely. But I think it's a slow burn done in a wonderful way.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I believe Chuck did what he did because he couldn't practice law any longer. I think they showed that the law was what drove him even with his imaginary/made up disease. I think you can see the finality on his face as he is walking down the stairs during the standing ovation. The firm was his life's work and he really believed he could get position back by doing that lawsuit thing. Howard rightfully called his bluff. It didn't take Chuck long to deteriorate after Howard gave him the goodbye check.

I don't think Jimmy led Chuck to immolation.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Now you are making it black and white, assuming the nostalgia of BB is what makes many of us like it.

Kim, Chuck, Howard and Nacho have zero connections to BB and they are excellent, well-rounded characters and big reasons why I watch the show. If you want to say they aren't interesting, then you haven't been paying attention.

All four have their own storylines that weren't predetermined from BB and I've been fascinated to see where their arcs ultimately end up.

Since BB predetermined all their fates, why don't you tell me exactly what happens to all these characters...

Not sure how what I said was black & white or where I assumed anything. When I read one or two word posts that say "LYDIA!!!" or "THE LAUDRYMAT!!!", it's clear the random BB tidbits are enough to make this show worthwhile for some guys.

I'll agree Howard, Kim, & Nacho are characters that are worth developing, but it's too bad that 2 of the 3 of them don't get more screen time. If you re-read what I wrote, I said I'm sitting there waiting for anything that wasn't predetermined to happen. Your guess is as good as mine where those three end up.

My issue is that if we recap from the start of this season til the finale, not much has actually occurred. If we expand on that, not much has progressed since this show began. Obviously the show is well produced, filmed & acted which is why I continue to watch. The writing, however, has been really weak, IMO, & that's the crux of the problem.

If you're taking this personal, please don't. It's simply my opinion of a cable tv show. :cheers:

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not sure how what I said was black & white or where I assumed anything. When I read one or two word posts that say "LYDIA!!!" or "THE LAUDRYMAT!!!", it's clear the random BB tidbits are enough to make this show worthwhile for some guys.

I'll agree Howard, Kim, & Nacho are characters that are worth developing, but it's too bad that 2 of the 3 of them don't get more screen time. If you re-read what I wrote, I said I'm sitting there waiting for anything that wasn't predetermined to happen. Your guess is as good as mine where those three end up.

My issue is that if we recap from the start of this season til the finale, not much has actually occurred. If we expand on that, not much has progressed since this show began. Obviously the show is well produced, filmed & acted which is why I continue to watch. The writing, however, has been really weak, IMO, & that's the crux of the problem.

If you're taking this personal, please don't. It's simply my opinion of a cable tv show. :cheers:

I didn't write the show why would I take it personally?

I just found your comments ironic is all.

We simply disagree about how much has occurred. I enjoy the hell out of Chuck's character and think Michael McKean has done a fantastic job with him. He had the biggest arc and fall this season, so I heavily disagree that nothing has happened.

It seems some on here wanted to be rid of one of the shows best characters awhile back, and I find that odd as hell.

I felt pretty confident Chuck was setting his wheels in motion to get back at Jimmy, and now he's apparently dead. I'd say that's a big shock and I wasn't expecting it, making the finale quite enjoyable. Well, except for the fact a character I thought made the show fun is now gone...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
A BB rewatch is probably recommended summer programming at this time.

I'm thinking the same thing. Season 1 and 2 I haven't seen in 8 years now.

I was watching some clips on YouTube and I was reminded that Saul is not this meek, accommodating lawyer, he's a *****, very crude, and very opportunistic at best, crooked at worst. And it's rubbed off on Francesca too. I have watched so much BCS that my memories of Jimmy are much softer; I had begun to create this image of him in BB where he was the same guy as in BCS, only that he now did illegal things exclusively instead of as needed.

No place left for him in this world. The law was the only thing he had. Looking back, I think he knew what he was doing when he took that parting shot at Jimmy.

Nacho wasn't even supposed to be in this show long-term. He was supposed to have a part in the first few episodes and they liked him so much they made him a character. I assume he gets killed by the end.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's Gus who does it, either directly or indirectly. Gus still looks like a "honorable criminal" at this time, and in BCS he still had that feel to him most of the time, othertimes he could be completely ruthless. Maybe he ends up having to deal with Nacho in a brutal way and that is the icebreaker for him, how he really breaks bad (he already has, of course, but he gets worse).

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I know Gus is good, but how in the hell would he know Nacho did anything?

Gus has a way of knowing everything going on around him. Maybe he didn't know that the pills were switched (yet), but if there was anything he would know it's that Hector started using Nacho's dad's shop as a base of operations, which might lead to some unrest with Nacho, and after Hector went down, it wouldn't be hard to put two and two together.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm thinking the same thing. Season 1 and 2 I haven't seen in 8 years now.

I was watching some clips on YouTube and I was reminded that Saul is not this meek, accommodating lawyer, he's a *****, very crude, and very opportunistic at best, crooked at worst. And it's rubbed off on Francesca too. I have watched so much BCS that my memories of Jimmy are much softer; I had begun to create this image of him in BB where he was the same guy as in BCS, only that he now did illegal things exclusively instead of as needed.

No place left for him in this world. The law was the only thing he had. Looking back, I think he knew what he was doing when he took that parting shot at Jimmy.

Nacho wasn't even supposed to be in this show long-term. He was supposed to have a part in the first few episodes and they liked him so much they made him a character. I assume he gets killed by the end.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's Gus who does it, either directly or indirectly. Gus still looks like a "honorable criminal" at this time, and in BCS he still had that feel to him most of the time, othertimes he could be completely ruthless. Maybe he ends up having to deal with Nacho in a brutal way and that is the icebreaker for him, how he really breaks bad (he already has, of course, but he gets worse).

Bob Odenkirk actually looked kinda frail this season, but I agree that Jimmy was meek. And honestly, I kinda got tired of seeing him with a pained look on his face

Gus hates Hector, I doubt he kills Nacho

That seems like a job for Tuco and possibly his cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad